• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen PC Boxes.

droomph

weeb
Years
this will get locked for sure but i'm sure as hell trying

What do you think about the whole only-8 box, then the additional boxes add-on?

Do you like the new form, or do you think it's too restricting, or weird?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2021
Actually, once you fill up every slot in those first 8 boxes, you are awarded with another 8 boxes (16 boxes - 480 total Pokemon). Then, when you fill up every slot in those 16 boxes, you are again awarded with an additional 8 boxes increasing your maximum to 24 boxes that are able to hold 720 Pokemon in total. That is enough space to complete the PokeDex (including all forms of every Pokemon that have different forms). The reason this system was created was so that, early in the game, save times would be much quicker as it didn't have to account for all the extra boxes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I didn't like the 8-box limit at first until I discovered that you can increase the number of boxes you have by moving your Pokémon so that there's at least 1 Pokémon in each box. I did that as early as I could.

Years
I think it's actually a really good idea, as there is a somewhat notable difference in save times dependant on the number of boxes you have filled. I personally never seem to fill up any more than 4 boxes throughout a game, so even if there I had been a limit to 8 I wouldn't have minded (although, I'd say a majority would be outraged if this were the case). But, since you can triple that number, I think it works out well for players on both ends of the spectrum.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It's confusing and silly, particularly for me since I organise my 'things to use' in the last box so they are close to box 1 in the system's interface. With a load of boxes suddenly added by a mechanism I was unaware of in the original White, my setup was ruined; I haven't bothered to move them all to the last box.
If anything, I would want to manually choose how many boxes I have.

Last edited:

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I think the 8 box was a bit weird at first, but then I noticed the add-on's and got used to it, and now I actually like it. It's not bad, as I don't fully use the boxes by the end of the game. But as the time progresses and the add-on's come. It kind of has a achievement feeling.

Years
I think it was a very good idea i hated having to search through all the boxes to find pokemon i need. i wish there was a search function that you have on battle rev so i could find the pokemon i want with ease.

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2013
i hated the 8 boxes until i found out about how to get the extra boxes since i want to get every pokemon in the national dex so i need the extra boxes.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I would understand it if you got more boxes by getting so many Pokedex entries, but the method for unlocking them was incredibly stupid and pointless.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I really like it.

Early in the game, I don't need a lot of boxes, and it's actually much easier to get around in them if there aren't a lot. Later, when I need more boxes, I can open more of them up. Until I need them though, they'd just be in the way, so it's nice to simply not have them there.

And personally, I like the way that they're opened, since it's entirely in my control. If it was based on something like the number of pokedex entries, then they'd just open whenever they opened, regardless of when I wanted them open. But since all it takes is putting one pokemon in each of the existing boxes, I can do it, or not do it, as and when I choose.

The only sort of problem with it is that it wasn't explained in BW. I assumed that more boxes were going to open sometime though, since there's just no way that GF would limit us to eight boxes. I didn't know when or how they opened (even after they did in my game) until I happened to read about it online. In BW2 though, it's explained by NPCs, and IIRC, more than once.

Years
I didn't even fill the first box before beating the Elite 4, so I hadn't even noticed that there were fewer boxes than usual. Beat the League and got a notification that the capacity had been boosted - didn't think any more on it.

Back