• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your favorite sets of all time?

Years
Before you answer, it can be for just about any reason, so long as it's not just "because it's the best" or if the reason is not PG-13! You can choose more than one set, too, if you're having trouble picking just one!

Personally, my favorite set is the HeartGold SoulSilver Base Set, simply because of the card borders.

After that, it's the Japanese Shiny Collection because of its full-art cards.

So, what are your favorite sets and why?

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Possibly Skyridge. Mostly for the artwork.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
my favorite set would have to be the Team Aqua V Team Magma set, due to I like all the art on the cards

Last edited:
Years
Base, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket.. Yes, you guessed it, I'm a fan of the original sets!

Those are probably the 4 most popular sets of all time. Simply because for so many there's a lot of nostalgia attached to those sets for most of the people who seek them out.

my favorite set would have to be the Team Aqua V Team Magma set, due to I like all the art on the cards

That certainly was an intriguing set, but I personally missed the boat on collecting that one initially.

Years
Those are probably the 4 most popular sets of all time. Simply because for so many there's a lot of nostalgia attached to those sets for most of the people who seek them out.

Absolutely, this was when I first started collecting. The Neo series were also very good too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Your favorite set!

With the many sets we have in the Pokemon TCG, what would you say is your absolute favorite? This includes mini-sets like Southern Islands and Dragon Vault, btw. :)

Anyway, I don't make it any secret that I love all the Neo sets, but my absolute favorite is Neo Destiny. I think it's also the most expensive...haha. But the shining cards are amazing and this is the only set they're around in (unless you count the secret rare Shining Magikarp and Gyarados from Neo Revelation) and they look so neat. Playability wise, I don't recommend them, haha. But they're gorgeous. And I love the light and dark Pokemon. The artwork for both are so different, expressive, and neat. And their attacks and Pokepowers match up with their light or darkness. It's just an amazing set, even if Umbreon isn't in it...haha. <3

How about y'all? :)

Years
Base set for me, followed closely by Neo Destiny and Team Rocket. I have a Team Rocket booster box. Resisting the temptation to not open it!! Not many left in the world now.

Personally, in my opinion, Wizards of the Coast made the better cards.

Years
Probably dragon vault because I just got back into the game, bought a 3 pack blister and didn't expect the quality of cards to be so good. All holographic, all very useful imo.

Obviously earlier sets like base and jungle are very memorable too.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Honestly, I haven't been in for awhile and only recently got back, but I loved Skyridge. Last cards by WOTC and some of my favorite artwork.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Thanks, Don! I looked and totally missed it. :( I feel so bad now!

Personally, in my opinion, Wizards of the Coast made the better cards.

I kind of agree with this. Most of my favorite sets are older ones, but there are still some fantastics sets these days, so I'm not totally discouraged. :) idk how you're resisting opening that Rocket box though, haha.

Out of the first generation sets, I would say Rocket is my favorite now that you mention that. It's got some of the best artwork, but it's...not really that great playability wise I've found. But hey...it looks cool. That's all that matters. ;)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
My favorite set is Fossil. I loved the Pokemon selection, and the art was really nice. We finally completed the Kanto dex with that set, which was really fun to have all the Pokemon of the time at your disposal.

I'm also in love with pretty much all the BW2 series cards (I know that's not what they're called, but that have a BW2 themed logo so that's what I call it). Plasma Freeze is absolutely lovely with its ice themes. I also really like the Rocket Set's artwork, even if all the cards were utterly unplayable.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Plasma freeze might win me over just because of the Eon duo.

Back