• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are R/B still worth playing?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I think pretty much every Pokemon game is worth playing, no matter which generation we're in, since we've been following the same formula with pretty much every main game so far, making the experience with the different games similar, but still unique with each. I guess it could kinda be argued that Firered and Leafgreen would be a better choice since they are remakes and have improved on loads of stuff that needed improvement in the originals (ie fixing the Psychic type so it wasn't as OP, adding the new typings, improving the graphics ofc., and additional small stuff), however the older games have a certain charm to them, that still makes them fun to play, even if there are supposed better alternatives :p I often shifted between my Blue and my Leafgreen whenever playing Pokemon (because it was the only games I had really), and despite essentially being the same games, I found both to be a different experience and equally fun. It's not certain that everyone would feel the same way, but I don't think R/B/G/Y are any less worth playing just because they're outdated.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Blue was my first Gen 1 game. But since all of these newfangled elements in the current generations it clearly balances out everything that was truly broken in R/B/Y/G/S/C.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the origins and I'm as nostalgic as everyone else who started from Gen 1, but you truly appreciate the series far more when things are the way they are now.

To answer the thread's question: It's entirely up to the person who plays Pokémon. For me I would recommend playing R/B and then playing fR/lG to see how far we've come along. :)

Years
I'd say just play fR/lG, as the plot is basically the same. Don't get me wrong, I love the originals as much as the next person, but I find I prefer playing the reboot that's improved upon the sloppy code from the original.

Again, though, if you have nothing better to do (Like me), why not?

Years
R/B/Y are totally worth it, especially Yellow because it follows the first season anime to an extent. Last time I checked (which was a month ago), my Red and Blue versions still have their batteries working, but my Yellow is dead. However, my Blue Version is a newer copy because it has the newer style ESRB rating on it (the "E" is black instead of white), and my Red version has the older style ESRB rating on it.

As for the playing experience, it's not much different between FR/LG.. though I still play those games for nostalgic purposes. :)

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
They are classics a big part of playing them are the nostalgia factor, If you have never played them back in the day then FR/LG should be good IMO

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
On another note, I like the Nature system and the EV/IV system;
The older games do have their own EV-system, too. It's a little bit more complicated, but can result in massively overpowered Pokemon (one reason, why there's no compatibility to gen 3 games).

If you're only interested in the story, FR/LG is the way to go. The older games are considered more for nostalgic people or those, who are interested in the gameplay restrictions (only 20 items, no shortcut for basic items, etc), the old graphics and mechanics behind the curtain (bug abuse,...). The TMs in the older games are a little bit more convenient than in the remakes (in my opinion), but that's about it.

I don't prefer one version above the other. Both the old games and the remakes are fun and worth playing, in my opinion.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I feel like both are very worth playing for their own reasons, but both are really worth it when you do get the time to play them :)

on one note - Like everyone else is saying RBY are major nostalgia trips. they bring the series right back to its most basic, I love the bad graphics and awesome songs, but FRLG have really brought a massive evolution to the game we all know and love.

With FR LG - there's better graphics, updated movesets, an updated bag system, and it's still true to the older games enough that there's a massive nostalgia trip.

I know I'll probably get slated for this, but EV training? Natures? Unless you're going competitive with the games they're features that can be ignored. I never take much stock of them really - I tried it in Pokemon White and just stopped playing it for months because I got bored with the strictness of it. They really can be considered negligible if you're a casual player imho.

And who can forget that if you're randomizing the games, FRLG wins hands down because of the fact there's a wider variety to randomize. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Personally I would only play the originals for the nostalgic or the "hey, that's nifty!" factor.

Even though I've been playing since the beginning, If I had to choose I'd play Fire Red/Leaf Green. It's mostly because of convenience. There are things that would annoy me now way too much if I went all the way back to the start.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I feel as though there's a lot of nostalgia factor into it. I've never played RBY, and never would, because I'm so used to the new features and mechanics of the games, that I'd feel they were lacking what I've grown accustomed to.

Years
Of course it's worth it to play. It has the new Hoenn pokemon in it, which I still like (Mudkip, Groudon, Rayquaza, Milotic, etc) as well as the old ones from the previous regions, and the story line is pretty cool too, and in Emerald (Well, back in the day when it first came out) it had cool effects and mini sub videos, and a battle between Groudon & Kyogre. I think you should play it if you haven't already, I'm even Saphire again at the moment!

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2018
Of course it's worth it to play. It has the new Hoenn pokemon in it, which I still like (Mudkip, Groudon, Rayquaza, Milotic, etc) as well as the old ones from the previous regions, and the story line is pretty cool too, and in Emerald (Well, back in the day when it first came out) it had cool effects and mini sub videos, and a battle between Groudon & Kyogre. I think you should play it if you haven't already, I'm even Saphire again at the moment!

Haha I think you got a little confused, he's asking about
Classic Red / Blue vs the newer Updated Fire Red / Leaf Green.

In personal opinion, nostalgia is about it for me. I grew up starting w Red\Blue. But I like Fire Red/Leaf Green in preference with the updates and stuff.
Though I would still totally play Yellow on the otherhand for it's slight originality with tie ins to the tv show. Back then, again personal opinion, it to me didn't feel like just the plain special edition, it felt alittle more original with the tv show content tied in to the story. I don't know if they could really do anything like that with current games but having either anime content or manga content mixed into the bunch when it came to special editions would be awesome.

I know alot of people are tired of going back to the Kento region but
I still wish they would have made say an Electric or Thunder Yellow Remake. Well the likeless of it happen is slim to a sappose non-existent, but a guy can dream lol.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Red & Blue just for nostalgia or to see how the first Pokemon game looked like. But besides that, not really much to go for. Horrible mechanics, not much colors, graphics are early gameboy-ish. In terms of graphics and game mechanics, FR/LG wins it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
Well first off, FR/LG are not the same as R/B. FR/LG is a remake with a bunch of new features and more to do.

Having said this, you really should play R/B - although I like FR/LG more, I love the retro feel to R/B and everything. After all, it is another Pokemon adventure!

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
R/B/Y are still worth playing. When I play alone, I like to play Red and slaughter my opponents with my Alakazam. I also like the glitches in all of their glitchy glory. The music is a nice change of pace from the symphonies current games have.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
I never played the originals as a kid even though i wanted to.(Why i didnt buy them remains a mystery)
After playing LeafGreen i cant stand the pace in these games.The player walks too slow so i always end up using the speed increase options.
So yeah R/B only for nostalgia

Sirfetch’d

The original games that started it all will always be worth playing. I know FR/LG improved upon everything, but as a Pokemon fan everyone should experience the games that started it all.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
R/B/Y will always be near and dear to my heart because they're the first Pokemon games I played but I cannot play them anymore. I much prefer FR/LG if I want to play the original story.

And it's not really even so much about graphics and bugs, but just how basic it is compared to what I'm used to. For example, bug types are basically useless, psychic types are overpowered, there is no steel or dark type which throws me off (example, fighting against a magnemite). And there are very few actually good moves that the Pokemon can learn. I can't run. I have to go to the start menu and pick my pokemon to use things like cut and surf... I just can't mentally get through the old games without feeling very frustrated and turned off.

Back