• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
While the LGBT movement is mostly good, it does have its ugly side.

We read books and watched movies about racial discrimination in elementary school. Is that the black community's "ugly side"? The man who opposed the curriculum change acted as if there was not any education about racial discrimination, but I am doubtful that is true, if it truly is the case, then the new anti-bullying policy would protect his daughter from being discriminated against. The only case that he made was that the parents, not schools, should deal with bullying; kids get bullied at school and the parent cannot be there to do anything about it; it is hardly fair for the child to just deal with the bullying and then have a parent talk to them about how to "endure" it. Also, kids are not being taught that homosexuality is right or wrong; however, they are being told that bullying is wrong. The book about the two penguins does not teach homosexuality is right or wrong; it teaches that there are same-sex people who raise children and have families. Now the funding issue. They had to buy some books, big deal. *cough* that is my two cents.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
Also, kids are not being taught that homosexuality is right or wrong; however, they are being told that bullying is wrong. The book about the two penguins does not teach homosexuality is right or wrong; it teaches that there are same-sex people who raise children and have families.
I guess I misunderstood what the school was doing in the first place because that's actually what I think they should do.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
This video is FOX News, which is famous as the least reliable news source in America because of its intense conservative spin that borders on propaganda. I saw nothing in that video that suggested it was anything different than exactly that.

FOX is probably the least biased, imo.

I can't call it a good thing when a group that fights for its own liberty takes away to liberty of others.

Years
I define it as teaching the facts, not instilling in children a school's moral values. It doesn't matter how right the school thinks it is because it's the parents' job to raise their children.
I think schools should be teaching kids facts, too, but also to think and understand cause and effect (such as the consequences of their actions). You don't have to tell kids "Being gay is okay" (although, really, schools should do this) in order to teach them that there are queer people and that picking on one of their classmates for being gay is unacceptable. I mean, goodness, what kind of world would we have if a teacher couldn't tell a kid not to do something if that kid was just acting like their parents taught them? There are crazy prejudiced people out there and when their kids are in school (where they ought to be because homeschooling would just perpetuate the hatred) a teacher should be able to correct them when they start to harass someone, even if that harassment is what that kid's parents want to teach them, because they need to keep school safe and teach kids how to get along.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
I mean, goodness, what kind of world would we have if a teacher couldn't tell a kid not to do something if that kid was just acting like their parents taught them? There are crazy prejudiced people out there and when their kids are in school (where they ought to be because homeschooling would just perpetuate the hatred) a teacher should be able to correct them when they start to harass someone, even if that harassment is what that kid's parents want to teach them, because they need to keep school safe and teach kids how to get along.
Oh definitely, I mean I don't think of bullying as a moral issue just kind of . . . common sense. If you think it's right to beat the crap out of someone just for being different, than you're probably more damaged than anything else.

Lol sorry gaiz I misinterpreted teh school. D:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I apologise if I'm not allowed to post in this thread what with not being a member and such, but I've just seen a really good movie that I imagine would appeal to a lot of this club's membership.

It's called Weekend, and the plot summary outlines it as follows: "After meeting one lonely Friday night at a bar, Russell (Tom Cullen) and Glen (Chris New) find themselves caught up in an lost weekend full of sex, drugs, and intimate conversation. Although they have conflicting ideas of what it is they want from life and certainly how to get it, they form a startling emotional connection that will resonate throughout their lives."

It's a very emotionally wrenching character study of what it means to be gay in the UK in the 21st century. Unlike other gay themed dramas that I've seen, it presents the characters as real people, not as stereotypes, and one certainly doesn't need to be gay to appreciate the nuances held within (I'm not gay and I was nearly in tears by the end of it). It just got released in the UK today, and it's already been released in the US for a few weeks now, but I imagine it's only playing in the large metropolitan areas. Still, I urge everyone (gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever...) to check it out if you can. (You can check out the trailer here.)

I'm going to leave now...

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I apologise if I'm not allowed to post in this thread what with not being a member and such, but I've just seen a really good movie that I imagine would appeal to a lot of this club's membership.

It's called Weekend, and the plot summary outlines it as follows: "After meeting one lonely Friday night at a bar, Russell (Tom Cullen) and Glen (Chris New) find themselves caught up in an lost weekend full of sex, drugs, and intimate conversation. Although they have conflicting ideas of what it is they want from life and certainly how to get it, they form a startling emotional connection that will resonate throughout their lives."

It's a very emotionally wrenching character study of what it means to be gay in the UK in the 21st century. Unlike other gay themed dramas that I've seen, it presents the characters as real people, not as stereotypes, and one certainly doesn't need to be gay to appreciate the nuances held within (I'm not gay and I was nearly in tears by the end of it). It just got released in the UK today, and it's already been released in the US for a few weeks now, but I imagine it's only playing in the large metropolitan areas. Still, I urge everyone (gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever...) to check it out if you can. (You can check out the trailer here.)

I'm going to leave now...

First off, I may not run the club, but I am sure it's fine for you to post here. xP

Anyways, that sounds really interesting. Too bad I probably won't have a chance to see it anytime soon. ;__; If anybody does, you should post your reaction to the film. ^__^

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, guys, I think this is the best place to post this: Based on a dream I had the other night, and thoughts and feelings I've had since having that dream, I think I'm bi. The dream involved sexual relations with a man, and with my current girlfriend in the same dream. I still have all the feelings for my girlfriend, so that's why I think "bi" would be the best term, not gay. Despite the fact that I know my family would accept me, and I know my girlfriend would stay with me, I'm kind of scared about coming out. Any advice?

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
Years
OK, guys, I think this is the best place to post this: Based on a dream I had the other night, and thoughts and feelings I've had since having that dream, I think I'm bi. The dream involved sexual relations with a man, and with my current girlfriend in the same dream. I still have all the feelings for my girlfriend, so that's why I think "bi" would be the best term, not gay. Despite the fact that I know my family would accept me, and I know my girlfriend would stay with me, I'm kind of scared about coming out. Any advice?
I'm guessing I'll probably be in the minority here when I say: I don't see why you need to "come out" right now. You say you have a girlfriend. Assuming you're faithful to her, you won't be doing anything with a man anytime soon. I mean, there's no reason to lie about it if you think everyone will understand, and there's no reason to hide your feelings if it bothers you keeping them from the people around you, it's just... it seems like in your situation, at the moment, your bisexuality is irrelevant, since you're in a committed heterosexual relationship.

Personally, I don't tell everyone I'm Bi. It's worked out well, since I don't date men. Who I have sexual relationships with no-one's business but mine and theirs. I don't hide it from everyone, but I've felt no need to tell my parents, since they don't really need to know if I'm having sex with anyone, male or female. I know for a fact they would be fine with me being gay if that were the case, so it's not a fear or anything of that nature, it's just a logical decision I've made.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, first of all I would say don't base it on just one dream. Give yourself time to figure things out, and be completely sure before you start telling people. It won't be fun trying to explain things to people if you decide you really are straight later on.

And as Charlie Kelly said, you don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. Only do it if you're comfortable with other people knowing, and think it may make you feel better about it. There's no need to rush into it.

That said, I haven't been dealing with it all that long myself. That's just based on my experience.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
I agree with Quilavaking on this. I think you have to learn a bit more before you can really quite say you're bi.
Also even if you did know completely, it is irrelevant being that you're with a woman at the moment, I mean unless you want to tell her but I would be careful with that, if only to avoid awkwardness or weird "are you breaking up with me?" moments haha.

Anyway congratulations on finding something new about yourself! :)
I don't know if it's weird to congratulate someone for that but I always do it sooooo . . .

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
@ Cat Dog: Of course it's OK to post here even if you don't join :) and thanks for that, it looks amazing! My sucky downloading abilities will probably result in me waiting for the DVD though... /curses Australia.

If you have a girlfriend to whom you are attracted and you're happy in your heterosexual relationship, I don't really see much point in coming out at this stage. To my mind, the point of coming out is because you are unhappy in your life and you need to be honest with people so that you can live more openly and freely. So coming out as bi when you have a girlfriend that you're happy with just seems like stirring the pot unnecessarily.

I'd say wait until it actually starts affecting your happiness, because your happiness is what counts. Honesty for the sake of honesty can be gratuitous sometimes.

EDIT: What I said could be seen as "we should hide in the closet until we really can't stand it anymore" but that's not what I meant. I just think that if you do it, it should be for the right reasons.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
If you have a girlfriend to whom you are attracted and you're happy in your heterosexual relationship, I don't really see much point in coming out at this stage. To my mind, the point of coming out is because you are unhappy in your life and you need to be honest with people so that you can live more openly and freely. So coming out as bi when you have a girlfriend that you're happy with just seems like stirring the pot unnecessarily.

I'd say wait until it actually starts affecting your happiness, because your happiness is what counts. Honesty for the sake of honesty can be gratuitous sometimes.

EDIT: What I said could be seen as "we should hide in the closet until we really can't stand it anymore" but that's not what I meant. I just think that if you do it, it should be for the right reasons.
Well, I'm not 100% sure of this yet. I think the reason I'd want to tell her if I got to the point where I was 100% sure of it is because she and I have vowed to never keep secrets from each other. When you say I should do so for the right reasons, I think keeping that promise to her is reason enough. I know for a fact that if I was, she would accept me. We've been together for almost 9 months. Also, I know for a fact she is already accepting of LGBT people. I'll wait and see if anything else convincing happens. Until then, I'll remain how I am.

Years

Well, I'm not 100% sure of this yet. I think the reason I'd want to tell her if I got to the point where I was 100% sure of it is because she and I have vowed to never keep secrets from each other. When you say I should do so for the right reasons, I think keeping that promise to her is reason enough. I know for a fact that if I was, she would accept me. We've been together for almost 9 months. Also, I know for a fact she is already accepting of LGBT people. I'll wait and see if anything else convincing happens. Until then, I'll remain how I am.
If you do decide to tell her you wouldn't have to say "I think I'm bi." It would probably be best to tell her simply that you had a dream and it's been on your mind.

Like everyone else I'd say you might want to wait at least a little bit. I don't know how long ago you had this dream, but if it was just the other day you might not want to jump the gun and cause her any worry. As much as you are in a committed relationship and she's fine with LGBT people there's always the potential to stir things up with a revelation like this.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
It's hard for me to say exactly what you should do. From my own experience, my sexuality was clear, although it was hard coming to terms with it, I knew for sure I was 100% gay.

Are you sexually/physically attracted to your girlfriend?
Have you had "homoerotic" thoughts before?
Also, bisexual individuals often time are more attracted to one sex over the other, though not always; do you have a preference?

Assuming that your are either equally attracted to both or a bit more attracted to woman, I would have to say that when you are in a committed relationship, as long as you are attracted to your gf/bf physically/sexually, then there should not be a need to talk about your sexuality. I know that even gay men feel insecure when they discover or know that there boyfriend/partner/husband is bisexual. It makes a person feel like you may not be sexually attracted to them. In addition, although your girlfriend may be very supportive of the LGBT community, it may not translate to a relationship. For example, many people who are supportive of LGBT individuals may not feel comfortable dating a transgender person. Although they are advocates of transgender people's rights, they may not be attracted to the idea of dating them.

I am sorry this is so long, and a bit all-over-the-place, but these were the initial thoughts that came up in my head.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
It's hard for me to say exactly what you should do. From my own experience, my sexuality was clear, although it was hard coming to terms with it, I knew for sure I was 100% gay.

Are you sexually/physically attracted to your girlfriend?
Have you had "homoerotic" thoughts before?
Also, bisexual individuals often time are more attracted to one sex over the other, though not always; do you have a preference?

Assuming that your are either equally attracted to both or a bit more attracted to woman, I would have to say that when you are in a committed relationship, as long as you are attracted to your gf/bf physically/sexually, then there should not be a need to talk about your sexuality. I know that even gay men feel insecure when they discover or know that there boyfriend/partner/husband is bisexual. It makes a person feel like you may not be sexually attracted to them. In addition, although your girlfriend may be very supportive of the LGBT community, it may not translate to a relationship. For example, many people who are supportive of LGBT individuals may not feel comfortable dating a transgender person. Although they are advocates of transgender people's rights, they may not be attracted to the idea of dating them.

I am sorry this is so long, and a bit all-over-the-place, but these were the initial thoughts that came up in my head.
Well, I'm definitely still attracted to my girlfriend on all levels, physically, sexually, and emotionally. As far as "homoerotic" thoughts... well, I won't go into graphic detail, but yes. Since I had that dream (about a week ago), I have had thoughts of that nature come into my head, and when it comes to the level of arousal yielded by such thoughts, it's similar to the sexual thoughts about my girlfriend, and women in general. Since I'm so emotionally attached to my girlfriend, that emotional attachment makes the thoughts about her seem more pleasing, though. And as far as not talking about it, as I said before, we have promised to never keep any sort of secrets.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I love it when games make gay references. I was playing Tales of the Abyss and in Baticul Port, a woman is always talking about General Celceil's beauty and obsesses about t her safety. This woman also wants to "Be born as a man." Also many other hints of attraction. I wonder if they ever get together?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It seems to be a theme in a lot of new video games lately that there is a gay storyline - or at least an option for one. I am not a huge gamer myself, but my best friend is. She often tells me about her gay relationships in Dragon Age and an assortment of other games, as well as her plans to pursue a gay relationship in the new game Skyrim which comes out next week lol

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
Years
I guess I could join? I fall into the bisexual/gay category (I don't even know - that's kinda strange).

And I have nothing to say that would make this post seem less bland.

Back