• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I think the whole Fire/Fighting thing is going to be the worst nightmares of Pokefans worldwide, to be honest. XD It looks to be more Fire/Psychic or something along those lines, but that's just me~!
Not that I'm saying Fennekin's evolution will turn out to be Fire/Fighting, nor do I want it to, but when CoroCoro first revealed the starters of Black and White, I thought Tepig looked like it had the potential to evolve into a Fire/Dark type and Snivy a Grass/Psychic type. Neither of which happened.

/sadface

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Unfortunately this means we'll be hearing "FENNIKEN IS FIRE/FIGHTING GUIZE!!!!1!!!!1!!" all the way till October...

Bonus part is those speculations will probably be unwarranted as we'll see hints to it being fire/psychic ;)

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
Zayphora said:
Unfortunately this means we'll be hearing "FENNIKEN IS FIRE/FIGHTING GUIZE!!!!1!!!!1!!" all the way till October...

Bonus part is those speculations will probably be unwarranted as we'll see hints to it being fire/psychic ;)

I would love for Fenniken to be a Fire/Psychic as that is the typing I'm speculating right now, I just do not want another Fire/Fighting type AGAIN , 3 generation of that is more than enough tyvm, I'll sue GF if they continued with that ungodly type combo for another generation.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They didn't really give us hints to Tepig's evolutions second type so I doubt they will again. Though, Emboar and Infernape were both based on a Journey to the West, so maybe GF saw the need to give them the same type as parallels. It doesn't seem like there's a Fox, so maybe we're safe...also thus far we haven't had two Fire/Fighting Starters in the same generation if one counts remakes and their starters Blaziken (the first Fire/Fighting starter) was in generation 3 which had remakes of Red and Blue, Charzard coindentially has Flying which is strong against Fightning, so if Fennekin's final has Psychic it'll be strong against Fighting, and if we do get Gen 3 remakes it'll be Blaziken as a starter again who is showing up in another generation shared with a starter strong against it. I hope they go ahead and do something like that...for now I only have straws to hold on to. I accepted Emboar, and Infernape as they are based on different fighting styles, yet what can a fox have as a fighting style...hmm.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Why doesn't anyone have a real reason to dislike Fire/Fighting? I have yet to see a real reason as to why anyone dislikes it. There isn't anything wrong with the typing at all and as it is now, Fire/Fighting would be better than Fire/Psychic.

"Just because its been done" Isn't even close to a valid answer. They have reused the same base concepts for 5 generations without every changing much beside the outward designs. There is MUCH worse reused every Generation that people actually want to see. Why aren't people complaining about the constant repeat of Normal/Flying Birds that appear in every region? Why aren't people complaining about the Normal type rodent that appears every region? Why aren't people complaining about the thought of an Electric Rodent Pikachu ripoff that appears in every region?

Its been done 3. THREE times. Unlike the FIVE times other things have been redone.

Here is a quote of what I wrote comparing the two type possibilities:

Fire/Psychic is weak to 5 types. Ground, Rock, Ghost, Dark, and Water
It resists 6 types: Fighting, Steel, Fire, Grass, Psychic, and Ice.

Fire/Fighting is weak to 4 types. Flying, Ground, Water, and Psychic.
It also resists 6 types: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, and Dark.

We're asking for Fennekin to be ruined for battle by wanting it to be psychic. Competitively its a lot weaker than Blazekin, Infernape, and Emboar. They share 2 Weaknesses between them. Psychic adds Stealth Rock weakness, and opens it to Ghost and Dark Weakness, One more common than the other. Both Psychic and Flying aren't as common, but still usually represented in most teams.

Resistance wise; Steel, Fire, Grass, and Ice are the only commons. Fire/Fighting resists Bug and Dark while Fire/Psychic resists Fighting and Psychic. If Fennekin were Special based with low to average defense as most psychics have, then resistance to Fighting wouldn't mean much.

Fire/Psychic looks good on paper, but it is not better than what we already have. Nor does it take away from the excitement of evolving. If that is the only reason you won't evolve it, then you shouldn't pick it as your starter. There are many other benefits to evolving the Pokemon not to mention the change in appearance is really the only excitement involved with evolving Pokemon.

EDIT:After looking over the Starter's types as a whole, the one with the greatest benefit is Chespin definately. Being Grass/Rock gives it a pretty good advantage over both Froakie and Fennekin. While being part rock loses its resistance to water, it also loses its weakness to Fire. Being a Rock type it is also good against Froakie's supposed Flying type and Fennekin's Fire type. So Chespin would be the definite best of the region.

Froakie being Water/Flying gives it only two weaknesses. A crippling x4 to electric, but there are things that can be done to ease that a bit, and a x2 to rock. It loses Grass Weakness but stays weak to Chespin while retaining its advantage over Fennekin.

Fennekin, unless made into Fighting type will lose to both Froakie and Chespin in match up. While as a Fighting type it can retain advantage over Chespin, but has a double disadvantage under Froakie. If Fennekin is Fire/Psychic it loses to Chespin's Rock and Froakie's water and has no advantage against either one based on typing alone. Either way, if Chespin is rock, Fennekin will suck compared to the other two. So if Froakie and Chespin get their proclaimed types, Fennekin is definitely the Snivy of this generation.

I still don't see why it has to be nitpicked at the fire starter when there are more glaring issues they can fix like the three I posted. Those are a thousand times more annoying concept wise than the Fire/Fighting Starter. Three highest tiered Fire Starters
Uber: Blazekin
Over Used: Infernape
Rarely Used: Emboar/Typhlosion
Neverused: Charizard.

Fire/Fighting are all used up to Rarely used meaning they are commonly seen on some teams with Typhlosion and Emboar basically tied for 3rd. Fire/Flying Charizard is never used, which means he hardly ever sees the light of day in battles despite being such a fan favorite.

Compared to their counterparts in the same generation:

Blazekin easily beats out the other two in competitive use.
Infernape is higher than both Empoleon and Torterra.
Emboar is used more than both Serperior and Samurott despite both having been said to have better movepool and stats. And despite both being liked more than Emboar.

At least with Fennekin being Fire/Fighting it stands a chance of staying out of NU tier as it can be a fast Special Sweeper.

Sorry for ranting but its really getting on my nerves to see people blindly bashing a top tier type combination just cause they want to and not doing proper research. I don't even like any of the Fire Starters except for Charizard and am hoping Fennekin is Fire/Rock because it has a really good type set and a lot of potential. Just really tired of seeing "OMG NO FIRE/FIGHTING! U GUIZE SUKK!"

Do. Proper. Research. And. Learn. What. The. Hell. You. Are. Talking. About.

And for anyone that wants to play, "well its tradition!" Guess what? Fire/Fighting is Tradition too. Its been done 3 generations in a row, has a high battle quality and may/can continue just like the Pikachu ripoff, Regional Rat, and Regional Bird can every generation that follows. Traditions can be started at any point in time so long as its carried out every following generation until it sticks like proper traditions.

If its a personal feeling, then don't ever pick a Fire starter. Its pretty simple. Don't like it, don't get it. Ignore it. Stop playing with it. You'll live a much happier life when you stop trying to force yourself into something you don't like.

/endrant

Next CoroCoro I'm not really hoping for anything big. I wanna see two more Pokemon added in, types or no. Just keep it coming with new things, maybe the regional bird as I have an odd obsession with Bird Pokemon, being that my favorite two are Pidgey and Braviary. I'm hoping to add to my bird faves in Generation 6. If not Bird, gimme something watery since that's all that really matters to me outside of Dragon Types.

Part of me actually kind of wants these starters not to be dual-typed at all. I kind of thought how interesting and unique it was for Gen II's starters to keep their type all throughout their evolutionary line, though I think due to their coloring, they seem like they would end up dual-typed anyways(since most Pokemon match the color of their own type). xD;

Meh, you are a breath of fresh air after that rant. Solo Types would be fun since this is basically the new Generation 2 for the reset. I also don't see it happening, but I didn't consider it. Though the Water types didn't have color schemes to match secondary typing. Empoleon doesn't really have a metallic body nor any silver/gray coloring to signify Steel type, and Marshtomp doesn't really look ground or carry the tell tale browns. Venusaur itself didn't look very poisonous either.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You raise a good point here! I was going by Gen I as well as Gen III's evolution, though if you notice something about Marshtomp's coloring, you would see something peculiar:

259.gif

Taken into account that Ground-type is usually brown-orange or somewhere around there, and that Marshtomp has a brown-orange belly(even though Ground type is more brown but whatever), it kiiiind of gave away it's type. Though maybe this is just coincidence? It's something that I thought of, that GF kind of does as kind of a giveaway to a Pokemon's type, or to make it obvious.

Empoleon however, I definitely do notice that it's harder to actually spot the type at first glance, but I suppose it's giveaway lies within its animation more than anything else:

395.gif

Empoleon looks "stiff" if you want to put it that way, harder than a rock. And what's harder than rock? Steel, of course!

I could go on and on of course, but that's just my mind being overanalytical(forgive me for that). XD Of course, this might not apply for all Pokemon, but I noticed that it definitely holds true for quite a lot! But that being said, that's why I'm holding on so strongly on Chespin eventually becoming Grass/Ground, if not just pure grass. Fennekin is harder to determine on the other hand, having a pure red body, and nothing to really "signify" it's final evolutionary type, and Mudkip also had this same issue back in Gen III, being completely blue so no one really knew that Swampert was part ground, so that's up in the air.

Froakie on the other hand I'm inclined to guess is more Water/Flying, but that's because of the fluffly cloud-like thing on its neck, but it's just a wild guess based on anatomy and type/color matching. XD Hope this all made sense~!

By Marshtomp I meant Swampert, but your point has been made XD I keep thinking Marshtomp is the name of the final evolution...I always make that simple mistake.

I agree with Froakie's type, despite really not wanting it to be Water/Flying due to crippling electric weakness, and personally i can see Chespin as a Rock type which would make the Grass Starter the "to get" starter since it would block both Froakie and Fennekin without leaving any glaring weaknesses for either to hit, unless Fennekin becomes part Fighting, but Starters have never needed perfect sub triangles before.

Still I wouldn't mind getting new Pokemon as opposed to getting add ons/updates to what we already know.

And what's harder than rock? Steel, of course!

I can think of a few other things~

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This, pretty much~! Gen III pretty much proved this: Swampert was Water/Ground, Blaziken was Fire/Fighting, and Sceptile was just Grass. So what if Fennekin ended up just being a Fire type and caught everyone off guard that way? XD I mean, I can see them definitely pulling something similar to Gen III:

Chespin: Grass/Rock*/Ground
Froakie: Water/Ice*/Flying
Fennekin: Fire

*Assuming the Pokemon are this type, though it seems unlikely since Froakie would be at a complete disadvantage against Chespin both ways, so maybe Ground, just to make things fair? Then again, Fennekin wouldn't have a fair advantage over Chespin, so yeah...tough one, here.

As a Flying type Froakie gains a resistance to cancel out his weakness to Rock so its only a 1 weakness deal. Samething happened with Torterra and Empoleon. Empoleon lost its weakness to Grass but gained a weakness to Ground, Torterra's Sub type. While Torterra's sub type was SE against Infernape. Empoleon lost resistance to Infernape's Fire but gained weakness to Infernape's Fighting. So Empoleon became weak to both while while maintaining SE over Infernape.

In Gen 3 Swampert was x4 weak to Sceptile and had a double advantage over Blazekin as both of Swampert's types were SE to Blazekin's Fire. Blazekin gaining Fighting didn't do much at all in terms of Starter balance through type.

Chespin just loses both weaknesses to Fire and Water as a Grass/Rock. If Froakie is Flying then Chespin can only really hurt it and Fennekin with Rock making its Grass Typing an extra add on.

Grass/Rock is a combination exclusive to Lileep's family. Its pretty well balanced if not a bit weak defensively as it has a lot of normal damages with only 2 resistances and 4 weaknesses. Still it has a lot of promise with proper stats and move pool.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'd like Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic. So what if the type is worse than Fire/Fighting competitively? A Pokémon isn't bad competitively on type alone, a big reason why Charizard is NU is because of rocks, but also because his movepool isn't stellar and he has to compete with Moltres (a stronger same-typed Pokémon) for a teamslot.

If we're going to think competitively then a lot of current typings shouldn't exist. Ground/Rock, Steel/Rock, Fire/Rock (yes, Rock is that crappy defensively), Grass/Ice, Ice/Dragon (redundant coverage)... I could go on and on. But this is an RPG, not a battle simulator, which is what a lot of people forget. Things aren't always introduced to balance the game. "I want X Pokémon because it would be good in NU, or UU", or whatever, isn't the right mindset when designing a new Pokémon. The metagame is a self-governing entity, and even Gamefreak themselves may not be able to anticipate overpowered and underpowered strategies. There's no guarantee the metagame will be the same next gen. For all we know, they could create an Ice-type entry hazard that would make dealing with Garchomp, Salamence and Dragonite much easier, which would radically change the metagame, might not be enough to knock them out of OU but would be a huge hit to their usability.

I just want to see some cool creatures. The people who diss Charizard because of its competitive prowess are probably even more childish than the kids who use it expecting it to win the match by itself.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
And I'm over here on the other side - I only play NU and I want lots of new things for NU :( Even if it means sacrificing the starters, I don't mind!! Still I think it's a while off being revealed though, as I said earlier, so we can just sit back and relax for now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I agree with Cerberous, I want Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic, doesn't everyone?
Who cares if it has five weaknesses? Sceptile had proven to be a very good pokemon despite it's 5 weakness, same goes for Breloom - it has five weaknesses, it even has a 4x weakness (flying), yet many consider it the best gen 3 grass type along with Sceptile.
Typing doesn't count (as long as it isn't ice/grass - grrr Abomasnow :disappoin), in my opinion it's the moveset that counts. Sceptile and breloom have an amazing movepool (especially Breloom, it can learn spore :D), if the Fennekin line can learn some powerhouse moves and a wide type coverage, and has good attacking stats, then I will really like this pokemon! Even if it does have 5 weaknesses! Besides, I have ALWAYS wanted a fire/psychic pokemon. Victini is a legendary so it doesn't count, and zen-mode Darmanitan just sucks.
Of course, GameFreak might trick us and make the Fennekin line all mono-fire pokemon just like Typhlosion. Although a mono fire pokemon has less resistances, losing the psychic properties will probably make this pokemon's movepool more shallow, and like I said before - a shallow movepool is very bad, I'm looking at YOU Serperior!
Either way, a starter pokemon with STAB psychic! who wouldn't want that? I would DEFINITELY like that! Especially if it could learn psychic at a low level, like Torterra can learn the all mighty Earthquake at lvl 32!

Fennekin rules, that is all.

Years
I can help but think Froakie will be pure water as thus far the only duel Water types have come out in generations with one of the two pair mascots being water and upon final evolution gains the type of the other mascot (Swampert is Water + Ground which are Kyogre and Groudon's types, Empoleon is Water + Steel which are Palkia's and Dialga's types). Sadly Gen 5 made me beleive this is more true now than during gen 4 when I noticed this. Then again perhaps Xerneas could be water (doubt it) and Yvetal Flying so we get Water/Flying...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Serperior is actually one of the best grass types starters to utilize, even taking it's movepool into account! One of it's most used purposes is a dual screener, but once Contrary is released(I'm not sure whether it's released or not), then Seperior would have a true chance to shine, so it's really no pushover by any means. A +2/+3 STAB Leaf Storm hurts a lot of things, y'know? It can also be used as a CMer, Subseeder, things like that.

Serperior is inferior to Meganium at dual screens (Meganium is bulkier), is also inferior to Sceptile at Subseeding, and doesn't really benefit from Contrary due to the amount of things that wall a boosted Leaf Storm (Skarmory above all) and lack of moves that benefit from it. Grass is a bad attacking type.

IMO Serperior is the worst starter ever, it doesn't have anything redeemable about it. And its stat distribution is quite weird. It has too many points in Speed and too few in other stats, which makes it a mediocre wall and a horrible attacker with below average attacking stats.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Except nobody uses Meganium, because lol it's so bad that by the time it gets screens up it doesn't even matter because the next attack kills it anyway(that and the lack of..actually doing anything useful? I'm not trying to diss meganium or anything, I love it! It just lacks on the competitive side). I think what makes Serperior useful overall is that it has SO much recovery, which I think you're forgetting here. Sure, Serperior may seem flimsy, but thankfully its moveset alleviates that. You have Calm Mind, Giga Drain, and Substitute, all of which can work in conjunction with each other, and even leech seed to help give you even more HP, for -more- subs. Plus, Serperior isn't weak to Shell Smash Gorebyss, though it entirely depends on who sets up first.

Oh and by the way, I think Serperior has taunt. So it wins against SS Gorebyss anyway.

And honestly, that argument can be used against almost any grass starter type, since they're all walled by Skarmory(minus HP Fire Venusaur in Sun). I'm not saying that Serperior is the best thing out there, but it certainly isn't too shabby at what it does, and it has the moveset to help fix its defensive weaknesses, so it's not necessarily a problem. o.o

Except Megnium can still be a decent physical sweeper with Sword Dance, Seed Bomb, Outrage, and Earthquake, outclassing Serperior's physical set.

PrimalDialgasaur

Primal Sauropod
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
I hope this month they release starter evolutions...pray to god that Fennekin is not Fire/Fighting...

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I don't think Fennekin is or will become a dual Fire/Fighting type, because all the other Fire/Fighting types are 2-legged and use their arms/fists for fighting. Would be interesting to see a Fire/Psychic combo, since that has never been done (except with Victini, which is primarily Psychic and then Fire, and Darmanitan in its Zen Mode).

Except nobody uses Meganium(that I know of) because it can't do anything aside from just setting up screens(I'm not trying to diss meganium or anything, I love it! It just lacks on the competitive side). I think what makes Serperior useful overall is that it has SO much recovery, which I think you're forgetting here. Sure, Serperior may seem flimsy, but thankfully its moveset alleviates that. You have Calm Mind, Giga Drain, and Substitute, all of which can work in conjunction with each other, and even leech seed to help give you even more HP, for -more- subs. Plus, Serperior isn't weak to Shell Smash Gorebyss, though it entirely depends on who sets up first.

Oh and by the way, I think Serperior has taunt. So it wins against SS Gorebyss anyway.

And honestly, that argument can be used against almost any grass starter type, since they're all walled by Skarmory(minus HP Fire Venusaur in Sun). I'm not saying that Serperior is the best thing out there, but it certainly isn't too shabby at what it does, and it has the moveset to help fix its defensive weaknesses, so it's not necessarily a problem. o.o

I had a Meganium on my Crystal version before it got erased. It was the only Pokémon that I had at level 100. If I remember correctly, it had Solarbeam, Razor Leaf, Body Slam and Synthesis. I even beat Fire-types with it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't think Fennekin is or will become a dual Fire/Fighting type, because all the other Fire/Fighting types are 2-legged and use their arms/fists for fighting. Would be interesting to see a Fire/Psychic combo, since that has never been done (except with Victini, which is primarily Psychic and then Fire, and Darmanitan in its Zen Mode).

Tepig starts off as a Quadruped and evolves into a Bipedal being, same can easily happen to Fennekin. If not, Fennekin is just going to be a Ninetales rip off, especially if it does the split tail thing that most believe it will. So really we'll get a second Ninetales, how original.

PrimalDialgasaur

Primal Sauropod
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
Tepig starts off as a Quadruped and evolves into a Bipedal being, same can easily happen to Fennekin. If not, Fennekin is just going to be a Ninetales rip off, especially if it does the split tail thing that most believe it will. So really we'll get a second Ninetales, how original.

I know Fennekin is a fennec fox, but I believe it might turn into a wolf...looks like it.

Years
Uh two of those moves mentioned are dark (just saying).

If it turns into a wolf that'll be nice, we'll have our starter be like Remoraid, evolve into a different species of animal (only wolves are related to foxes). Maybe Fennekin will be Fire/Ground. If it is I plan to make a ground team out of Swampert, Torterra, and it's final.

Years
Does anyone think tne region will be shown next issue? Or will they delay it to reveal more about Sylveon and the mascots this time around?
Wonder what ability Sylveon will gain, Kanto's got element absorbtion to restore Hp, and in Flareon's case up Fire moves,, Johto's got shared status issues, Sinnoh's got weather related abilities.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I'd think they would give us some more insight than they have in terms of the region, since from what I remember we found out about Unova/Isshu pretty quick or at least in a more timely manner. They should do more to reveal info at least on Sylveon which is what I think they were hinting at especially on Pokemon XY site. I got a feeling they may reveal like regional bird and regional ratta and maybe one or two others. Then some new details on other aspects of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back