• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if we built a real Pokedex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
Imagine how awesome it would be if someone made a REAL Pokedex, it would be worth heaps and it wouldn't be that hard to do, just like one of those pocket electric dictionaries but more complex.

Would anyone with some computer skills like to collaborate, I could split the profits of the sale of the world's fist Pokedex in 50-30-10 with ten percent going to the people who invented Pokemon because they would have the copyright first. Whos keen?

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
I appreciate your sarcasm. But it wouldn't be information on nothing, it would be information about Pokemon. If you think Pokemon is nothing, why are you on a Pokemon forum, silly fool.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Why would you need a Pokedex in the Real World? You're not gonna make a lot of money out of it, you can get all the information you need in the official handbooks.

If you're basing the Pokedex on the games then you need to capture a Pokemon to get information which I doubt you can do in the real world.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Well, for one, it's already been done. Several Pokedex products have been released since the franchise took off, some better than others in design and information.

Secondly, no profits could be made. It'd be illegal and you'd get sued for trying to sell it, and they wouldn't want to "share the profits" anyways because they could do it entirely themselves for a fraction of the cost.

But if you really want a real Pokedex, here's what you can do: get yourself an Internet-capable cellular phone and go to www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net and there you go! A real, live Pokedex!

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
No, I mean one that goes off when a similar animal is nearby, like a pidgey when there is a pidgeon, or a snorlax when a fat guy walks past. People would buy them, and all you'd need is an inbuilt camera and a modified version of face recognition software

Hatenko

Hiya!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 16, 2010
I don't know.. some cases it'd work great, like Whale-Wailord, Seal-Seel, Seahorse-Kingdra. Others it wouldn't really fit for at all, i.e. Rotom, Ditto, Porygon, Beldum.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
Pigeons people, pigeons... This bothers me.
A real live pokedex like that would be cool, but why not just make it a LifeDex. Point it at something and it gives you information on it. "Ice: Water in the solid state. Often used in drinks to keep them cool."
I bet you could just make an iPhone app with object recognition, which then just pulls up the Wikipedia article for it. :P

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Heaps of pokedex have been released and they have never been that big of sellers because you can get most info u need form the internet

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Something relatively similar is already in the works--look up augmented reality. We're likely a ways away from making it common but that's definitely what you're looking at doing. I just... don't really see the point. :( It'd be more interesting to make more of an AnimalDex or something--point the phone (or object, whatever) at an animal and it'll identify the species and give you more information. But the sheer amount of data that would be needed for recognition is ridiculous so right now I don't think it could be done.

Dunno whether to leave this here or toss it in Computers & Tech though. (There's already an augmented reality thread there so...)

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 25, 2010
They do already have a pokedex as a toy XD

anyway Ir the pokedex was about animals and you just had to piont toward the animal for the pokedex to scan it and tell you info

The Mamaldex

no no

The BirdDex

no

The reptiledex

no

The fishdex

How about we release all of them at once well be rich XD

Ayselipera

Whether you made a pokemon or real life one both would be kind of pointless.

I mean a real life one would be okay, but for the most part you know what things are. I could see it being used for scientists or people who travel all around the world. Besides that though it just doesn't seem like something that everyone would go out and buy.

Divine~Deoxys

Yeah!!There's tons of nature lovers!!!Lets make this thing then flog it to them for tons of cash so they can outnerd eachother!!! we can be the first guys ever to become rich on a pokemon forum!!

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
Years
Like every one says its pointless because of course there are no pokemon in existence. The best you ever gonna get is a ipod touch app that links to bulbapedia or those toys that come out at a Toys r us. Or you can use your ds and fill out and use it as a pokedex just paint it red on the outside or invent a case that makes the ds look like the 4th gen pokedex and you got your self a authentic pokedex.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
Ok, so now that I've already come up with the idea for the animal recognition device, I need someone who is willing to do the computing to make this, and we can split it like I said before (negotiable). I will meet you by the pretzel stand outside the library and we can discuss the funding for the prototype. I can get the patents, I just emailed freepatentsonline.

MMundy777

Aspiring Gym Leader
Years
wow all the negativity on this thread is surprising,

i mean its just someone who is excited about an idea they have, ya'll dont have to be so rude about some things ya know?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
wow all the negativity on this thread is surprising,

i mean its just someone who is excited about an idea they have, ya'll dont have to be so rude about some things ya know?
Well he's obviously trolling, considering he joined for the sole purpose of sharing his "great idea" and just now asked for whoever is interested to meet him at the "pretzel stand in front of the library". If he's not joking, then he's naive of how the world works if he expects someone to do all the work on a project that could likely be illegal.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
As everyone has said before.... no Pokemon exist (sadly). The closest Pokemon you would find is a plushie at Toys R Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back