• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5 Gen team, adivce needed ^_^

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Hey I've just started battling competitively and created my first team. But I'm rather new to building competitive teams so i could use some help ^_^

I have a wide selection of pokemon available. To view the pokemon i have check out my Trade Thread (Links in my Sig)

here is my current OU team:

Scout:
645.png

Lv.100 Landorus @Choice Scarf
Naive|Sand Force
Earthquake, Stone Edge, U-Turn, Hidden Power (Ice|70)
EVs: 252 Atk, 6 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd

Landorus is my scout, it can hit hard with both physical
and special moves and if meets a daunting opponent he can switch out to Dusklops or Cresselia with U-Turn.

488.png

Lv.100 Cresselia @Leftovers
Modest|Levitate
Calm Mind, Moonlight, Ice Beam, Hidden Power (Fire|70)
EVs: 252 HP, 218 Def, 40 Sp.Atk

From testing on PO Cresselia can easily get 6x Calm Mind and seriously hurt the opponent

461.png

Lv.100 Weavile @Life Orb
Jolly|Pressure
Ice Shard, Night Slash, Ice Punch, Low Kick
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd

Weavile is very quick and powerful with two quite STAB moves and a STAB
priority move he can do serious damage to foes, Low Kick gets the last spot because of it being able to OHKO Heatran and the like.

356.png

Lv.100 Dusklops @Eviolite
Impish|Pressure
Taunt, Night Shade, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split
EVs: 252 HP, 80 Def, 178 Sp.Def

Dusklops is used for spreading Status problems and for
reliable backup when switching with U-Turn.

385.png

Lv.100 Jirachi @Leftovers
Adamant|Serene Grace
Wish, Body Slam, Iron Head, Protect
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Jirachi has a great ability and moveset, this allows it to almost certainly paralyze with
Body Slam or critical hit/flinch with STAB Iron Head. Its also incredibly hard to take out
without the right checks/counters.

akvndw.jpg

NN:Malefic
Lv.100 Gyarados @Life Orb
Adamant|Moxie
Earthquake, Stone Edge, Dragon Dance, Waterfall
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd

If Gyarados can secure a Dragon Dance its almost unstoppable!
once you KO your first pokemon Moxie kicks in and your opponent cries!​

Last edited:

Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Enthusiast
Years
Well, half your team is weak to Ghost and Dark - Spirtomb could ruin Jellicent, Latios, Dusclops, and Weavile could destroy your entire team, save Gyarados.
The fact that the other half of your team knows Earthquake leaves little for broad type coverage, though it certainly is good for Gyarados to give a swift end to dangerous Electric pokes. However, he'd be better off Jolly so he can outspeed those swift electrics.

I'd also advise you to switch Excadrill with maybe Heracross? It can already do most of what you're having Exca do - and it can get rid of both Ice and Dark pokemon with some super awesome fighting moves, which you're lacking - and trust me, in 5th gen, fighting moves are becoming very essential, as with bug.

You ought to also throw in an ice move there somewhere - Garchomps and Salamances are all over, and with the 5th gen introducing 3 non-legendary Dragon pokemon, Ice is always helpful. I'd recommend tossing it on Latios, replacing Surf with it.

Of course, that's just how I see it - if you have a kickass strategy you're using, then go fori t.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You don't really need to put in your Pokemon's IVs.

Anyway, I can see Excadrill making better use of the Air Balloon rather than the Focus Sash because of that Ground weakness.

Hex is a bit gimmicky at best on Jellicent, since it relies on the opponent being statused. I'd give it Shadow Ball for consistent STAB, Ice Beam for Grass/Dragon Pokemon or Taunt to screw over walls.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
I've updated the thread with how i use my pokemon and taken in your advice and i think i'll remove Surf for Ice Beam ^_^

^_^ More ideas are welcome ^_^​

xiodinex

Experienced Trainer
Years
Most of your team get damaged by the sand, so aside from Excadrill, I really don't see why you need a sand stream lead. Dusklops is Taunt bait also. And Latios loses not only sandstorm damage, but also life orb recoil. It's not going to last.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Hmmm.... thats a good point. Its just Hippowdon is my only Stealth Rock user, however i do have a Skarmory who has Spikes. Would he be a good replacement for Hippowdon?

227.png

Lv.100 Skarmory @Leftovers
Impish|Keen Eye
Spikes, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Roost
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Spd
IVs: FLAWLESS

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hmmm.... thats a good point. Its just Hippowdon is my only Stealth Rock user, however i do have a Skarmory who has Spikes. Would he be a good replacement for Hippowdon?

227.png

Lv.100 Skarmory @Leftovers
Impish|Keen Eye
Spikes, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Roost
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Spd
IVs: FLAWLESS
If you're playing Gen V OU, then Sturdy is the preferred option as it ensures Skarmory does something before it dies (usually setting up a layer or two of Spikes or phazing the opponent with Whirlwind). Sturdy can also be set up again with 2 uses of Roost.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
Years
Ferro w/ Stealth Rock or Spikes might be good.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
~Stealth Rock/Spikes
~Leech Seed
~Power Whip/Protect
~Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpDef
IVs: Preferably 31/31/31/X/31/0

Years
If you happen to remove Hippowdon, don't forget to replace Excadrill as well.

I believe that you could use something that knows a good Fire move, many steel types are annoying as hell and the best of them are 4x weak to fire. Volcarona comes to mind.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Bump
Just updated my trade thread with loads of new pokemon that could be in here
Any suggestions are greatfully accepted ^_^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Maybe consider replacing Gyarados with, I dunno, Swampert? With Roar, that will go in great once Skarmory has his Spikes layered up. And then, if (and when) Skarmory goes down, you'll still have something else for phazing. Along with the fact that Swampy is pretty physically bulky and physically keen on attacking. Just a thought.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Swampert does the same job as Hippowdon essentially. Regardless Swampert is horrible this gen and really offers little over Hippowdon tbh. :\

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd use Protect over Detect on Yanmega simply because Protect has twice as much PP as Detect does. It might also be best for it to have a Hidden Power type to deal with Steel Pokemon (Fire for Scizor, Forretress, Skarmory, Jirachi, Bronzong, Metagross and Ferrothorn, Ground for Heatran and Fighting for Steels in general other than Jirachi, Metagross, Bronzong and Skarmory)

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
I think that Yanmega has HP Dragon 68 but and my other one has HP Dark, but i find Shadow Ball usefull on chandelure, Golurk, Jellicent, Gengar, Espeon etc.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Ok i've done some testing on PO and come up with a new team, i think its better than the last one but i'm not an expert thats why i'm here ^_^

:) any advise or suggestions will be greatly accepted :)​

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Landorus needs max Attack to help it hit as hard as it can (252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe). Even though 4 Special Attack EVs isn't much, HP Ice still does plenty of damage to Gliscor.

Reuniclus is a better CMer than Cresselia due to Magic Guard blocking Poison, Burn, sandstorm, hail and Life Orb damage:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard

TBH, Weavile isn't as good as it used to be, since it's wrecked by priority. I don't have any good replacements for it now, but maybe someone else can suggest.

Dusclops is too weak to use Sucker Punch, so you can use Taunt to screw over other walls (even though Dusclops is too slow and be Taunted itself). You can also switch to Bold and use Ice Beam for Dragons, Gliscor and Landorus.

I think Jirachi should take advantage of its good defensive typing by switching to Careful and using this EV spread to take special hits better: 252 HP/224 SDef/32 Spe.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Ok i've changed Landorus's EV spread and replaced Sucker Punch on Dusklops with Taunt.

No one i've battled has tried to poison/burn Cresselia and its defencive stats are amazing so i'm gonna keep it for now but i'll do some testing with Reuniclus.

Even with his current EV spread Jirachi seems hard to take out so i'm gonna keep him the way he is for now but again i may do some testing with the other spread.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Your biggest weakness that I'm seeing so far is Scrafty. Once Gyarados is gone it can set up anytime and sweep, and Dusclops can't even do anything to it. My suggestion is replace Weavile with Conkeldurr, since Scrafty can't do anything to it and it checks Excadrill, who is also problematic to this team.

I don't know where you're going with Jirachi's EVs, since that set isn't meant to hit hard at all. Use the standard set EVs -> 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe. Without those EVs notable special attackers such as Latios and Reuniclus would wreck this team apart with Weavile gone. EDIT: Oh, and use Careful >>> Adamant on Jirachi. Wish Jirachi was never meant to hit hard.

You could also use Scarf >>> Life Orb on Landy just to be fast, but I'm not sure lol.

This is all that I would change for now. I might come back for a better rate later.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
If you're using U-turn on Landorus, it's probably preferable to use Choice Scarf so residual damage doesn't build so quickly. If you want to use Life Orb, I'd use SD > U-turn; and if you want to try Substitute > U-turn, go with Leftovers. In any case, a change in item and/or move there on Landorus is a good idea.

Back