• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jobs??

Years
Let's talk about jobs.

Do you have one/have you had them before? What do/did you do? Did you like it? Anything else you want to talk about? We can chit-chat if you want. ;)

---

Personally I've been at the same pizza job for 3.5 years (4 in August!). I make pizza mostly, and serve/cashier when needed. I open, so I set up pizza line and am usually up front by myself until about 11:30-12. I'm now officially a shift supervisor, so now I actually have the power to do stuff I either already was doing or knew how to do. Means a bit more responsibility, though, and I am all about dodging responsibility when I can help it. :p

It's a pretty fun job. I love making food. My co-workers are mostly awesome. It's like a huge family there. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason I've stuck around so long (after not having a degree and other job skills...). The only huge downside is I still don't get paid very much, but nobody there does. Oh well.

Also I love getting free food every day I work. It's awesome. <3

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I work at a bulk candy store in the local mall. I mostly do cashier work but I also do stock and inventory, cleaning, and opening/closing shift paperwork. It's a really small store so everyone has to do everything. My co-workers are pretty great but the new manager is... well, I'm sure you get where I'm going.

I also get free candy all the time :D

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
I'm a manager at a local BBQ restaurant here in North Carolina. I'm everyone's favorite, since I'm not trying to make a career out of it, so I take it easy on everyone. I'm close with the people there, two other managers and I have a beer together once a week usually. Good people, I'm lucky to know them.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Let's talk about jobs.

Do you have one/have you had them before? What do/did you do? Did you like it? Anything else you want to talk about? We can chit-chat if you want. ;)

---

Personally I've been at the same pizza job for 3.5 years (4 in August!). I make pizza mostly, and serve/cashier when needed. I open, so I set up pizza line and am usually up front by myself until about 11:30-12. I'm now officially a shift supervisor, so now I actually have the power to do stuff I either already was doing or knew how to do. Means a bit more responsibility, though, and I am all about dodging responsibility when I can help it. :p

It's a pretty fun job. I love making food. My co-workers are mostly awesome. It's like a huge family there. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason I've stuck around so long (after not having a degree and other job skills...). The only huge downside is I still don't get paid very much, but nobody there does. Oh well.

Also I love getting free food every day I work. It's awesome. <3

You...have the exact same job as me. Like, almost exactly the same. I work in a pizza restaurant, I mostly rolled dough for the past 6 months, and now I am officially a shift supervisor as well (although I am in training so there is a difference.) And I usually open most of the time haha! It's actually kinda funny, I feel most comfortable opening, even though everyone says it is harder than closing. Dunno why, just easier for my brain I guess.

And btw our crew is better than yours, just sayin'. (Only kinda kidding haha xD)

Years
You...have the exact same job as me. Like, almost exactly the same. I work in a pizza restaurant, I mostly rolled dough for the past 6 months, and now I am officially a shift supervisor as well (although I am in training so there is a difference.) And I usually open most of the time haha! It's actually kinda funny, I feel most comfortable opening, even though everyone says it is harder than closing. Dunno why, just easier for my brain I guess.

And btw our crew is better than yours, just sayin'. (Only kinda kidding haha xD)

Let's be pizza bros 8D

At my job, opening is way easier. I don't like closing at all. When I close I feel rushed to get everything done on time, and there's a million things to do to close in addition to trying to sell food. There's a bit of that with opening, but at least I can eventually catch up. Also, I like having to get up early but get out of the mall by 5pm tops.

So when you say roll dough, do you just stretch it out and other people top it, or do you make the rest of the pizza too? At my job I do all the steps in the recipe, but we're a by-the-slice place, and we're slow enough we never need more than 2 people making food at once and when we do we're making two different items at once. The only time we do an assembly line is when we have a huge catering order.

Years
Have I had a job before/do I have one now?

Technically the answer is no on both counts I suppose. I have only had paid work on a few occasions but never a steady job as such. I have also done a lot of voluntary work etc...

Examples of what I have done?
I have done tutoring, looking after a kid (sort of), I have manned cake stalls and sausage sizzles on numerous occasions to earn money for my fundraising account and I routinely teach/assist in the teaching of dance which sometimes results in me getting money taken off of my own lessons... hell I have even gotten paid before.

I have enjoyed each and every one of those experiences really... bar tutoring a girl with an attitude problem. Even then I enjoyed the work for the most part, she just got on my nerves sometimes. My focus has always been on my studies and interests than on long-term employment but once I complete my degree this will quite probably change.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
let's talk about my previous jobs, y'all!!!

• McDonalds (accidentally broke the coffee machine, fired)
  • Another McDonalds (insulted boss)
  • Another McDonalds (didn't turn up to work after boss cut our pay yet again)
  • Starbucks (quit after six months due to family issues, good job though)
  • A local cafe (went out of business)
  • A clothing store (quit after my boss turned into it into a soviet workcamp)
  • A local cafe (quit after being offered position at current job)
  • Same clothing store (current job)

My current job I've had the longest, and it's really taught me that there are some truly stupid people out there! Not just stupid people, but incredibly rude people too! *******s! People who work in retail need congressional medals of honour, like really.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I worked at Subway for two years. It was an OK job. I'd say it's better than Tim Horton's or Macdonald's. You don't get breaks or anything, and you aren't promised discounts or anything (it depends on the owner), but the job itself isn't that hard and is enjoyable enough. You don't end up smelling awful at the end of the day, either. The week I spent at Tim Horton's and Burger King... /shudder

Walmart was great, but they're big on worker exploitation. I didn't think it was that bad until I started working at Maxi where I get raises, don't count the til, don't have to do stock or anything... It's way more lax, compared to Walmart where you were forced to sell MasterCards or be fired. Good thing I was good at that lol

Work History:

★ Burger King (2009) ★

Quit after I figured out I replaced the girl who got her finger cut off. Also, not a good job overall.

★ Sweet Dreams Ice Cream (May-July 2010) ★

Quit after my boss accused me of stealing, even though I had evidence to prove that the 40$ never actually existed ("test" orders gone wrong.)

★ Subway (August 2010-June 2012)★

Two different locations, same owner for 38h/week. Free sandwiches, drinks. It was a good entry-level job in order to get better jobs later (experience, etc.)

★ Walmart (May 2012-October 2012) ★

Overall, it was a decent job; better than Subway. People liked me. The boss liked me (because I sold lots of MCs) but the threat of being fired for any little reason was daunting. No raises. Breaks, though.

★ Tim Horton's (October 2012) ★

Quit because the staff was horrible - they encouraged theft and wouldn't sell me things; I had to steal them if I wanted them - and it was mega exploitation. Seriously. They didn't pay over-time but required you to stay until someone else showed up for their shift. No raises. I started lower than any other job I've ever done. Requires a lot of work for said pay. Breaks were not guaranteed. Clients are crappy. The assistant manager wasn't too bad, but the manager herself was... ugh. Plus, it was a huge downgrade from Walmart. I felt insulted lol

★ Maxi (October 2012-Present) ★

Best job. Ever. So far. 10% discount on groceries. It's across the street from my house. Unionized = hard to fire me. Vacation. Raises. Breaks. Great team. Yay!

Last edited:
Years
I currently have a job, at a factory doing packaging 3 days a week since September last year. Not the best job in the world I have to admit since packaging is one of my weakest fields.

When I was in my final years of high school in 2009/2010 and even going through 2011, I have had several jobs. I've worked at a school library, a supermarket, a McDonald's restaurant, and in an office. I was mainly at all those jobs for training purposes though since I'm only new to the workforce.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I have had three jobs thus far

First was a kiddie land ride op in 2010 for the amusement park here. It wasn't a bad job at all, in fact it was kind of fun. Had to leave in August though due to the need to return to school and transport then becoming a problem.

Then it was a big chain grocery store for 5 months from June-November 2012. I absolutely despised it, especially when they would not leave my schedule alone. I'd be doing early mornings one week and then overnights the next. I wasn't allowed to have a life... at all. Eventually I told them to screw off and quit with no notice in the middle of my shift at three in the morning.

Now I work in a regional chain and it's not so bad. My store manager got OCD one day and screwed with the department, but compared to what happened to my old job it's a freaking godsend. At least these people have respect towards me attending school and do their best to work around it.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
When I first left school I worked in a small cafe in the kitchen just doing the dishes, but after I had Hanna my daughter I became a same at home mum, I will find a jod when she is in school though.

Years
The first thing that I had that I considered a job was doing video game testing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to turn it into a full-time job, but it didn't hurt to get paid to play video games (and pick some free ones up along the way).

Currently, I'm working at a large drug store, where I've been for almost a year now. I mostly deal with anything that isn't pharmacy related itself, and while the wages are decent and all my co-workers are nice, my hours have been drastically (35 hr/wk in December vs. 16 as of late). I'd rather not look for work elsewhere since it's a friendly environment, but I'm hoping my hours don't get cut even further when we hire more part-time help this summer.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Current Job
Animator at Sega

Past Jobs
Internship at Disney (Animation)

Summer job (full time hours) at an Animation Commercial Production House (Production Assistant)

Black's Photography (part time seasonal sales associate)

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Let's be pizza bros 8D

At my job, opening is way easier. I don't like closing at all. When I close I feel rushed to get everything done on time, and there's a million things to do to close in addition to trying to sell food. There's a bit of that with opening, but at least I can eventually catch up. Also, I like having to get up early but get out of the mall by 5pm tops.

So when you say roll dough, do you just stretch it out and other people top it, or do you make the rest of the pizza too? At my job I do all the steps in the recipe, but we're a by-the-slice place, and we're slow enough we never need more than 2 people making food at once and when we do we're making two different items at once. The only time we do an assembly line is when we have a huge catering order.

Well for us, I get there at around 8 in the morning and for three hours I make all the pizza skins, twist skins (for garlic/cinnamon twists) and pan crusts. I have to try and get enough for the day shift out buy opening at 11:00 am. Then I come out and depending on what the manager for the day decides to put me on, I either make the pizzas, work register, work oven, bus tables and wash dishes, or work on salad bar. Then after the lunch rush, around one to two o clock, I go back and finish rolling out enough skins to finish off the night shift. We aren't slow enough to have just a couple people working out front, but not busy enough to have a dedicated roller who stays back in the roll room rolling all day haha.

Although now that I am gonna be a shift supervisor, I will be doing less rolling and more bookwork, shift setup, and other managerial stuff lol.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I've been a housekeeper for a little over two years now and I love it, but spring and summer make my wallet suffer because that's when families decide to visit and it's extremely rude to clean while visitors are over. Hell, I should have been at work today but that exact situation popped up and it sucks because I could use some money.

In the past I've been...
>a busboy for a crappy southern restaurant that went belly-up this past December and I still give the empty building the bird because I hated it so much
>a grocery store cashier
>a housekeeper for a smaller retirement community that mainly catered to the soon-to-be dead

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
If we don't count social service which gonna end this coming September i have a job named no job...planing to take some courses before really working.thats all

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I don't currently have a job, nor have I had one before actually. I've been more school-orientated to be honest. I'd like to get a part-time job sooner or later, but it's just managing my time that would prove to be quite difficult for me if I were to get a job right now.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I worked in a liquor store part time from April 2009 until February this year. Then I got promoted to full-time assistant manager and was moved to another branch of my liquor store five minutes further from home!

Moving on up in the world, ladies and gents.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well jobs I got paid for... was a janitor at my after-school program place for like a year, quit after getting too lazy to do it. Worked in a small lunchtime café for six months before the place shut down. Now I've been working at IKEA for six months and it's really nice I guess. I'm mainly a cashier and I'm quite a bit more adept than a lot of the people hired within half a year of me. I also work in Smaland now- the childcare place- because they lost a bunch of people and I've been getting drained dealing with adults. My coworkers and managers are great. But a lot of customers are just... dumb. And then they get angry that they're making dumb mistakes or can't comprehend the way things work. The children are pretty bratty sometimes too but I can just ignore them. Working at IKEA... I don't mind it when I'm there and doing it. I just don't like it when I actually think about it.

Years
My first and only job now is going for the second year. I'm working at company that deals with building railroad tracks. Basically a construction worker. I got used to this job so far, the salary is not bad, since the bonuses delegation gives me, company provides accomodation and food (dinner only), so I can live with that. The minus is that I work there on the weekends as well, so I'm very rarely in my hometown.

Back