• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which character do you think represented Unova the best?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Out of all the characters that have appeared in the Unova games, N, Ghetsis, Corless, Elesa, Skyla, and so on, which one do you think represents the region the best, and is in a way, the heart of Unova? Give reasons why!

(Chances are people will probably post N but some might think he's overrated!!!)

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I hate to say it, but I think you're right about N. He was such a complex character, and he was what got a lot of the people to play the games. I think they liked the idea of an anti-villain. Plus N used a lot of interesting Unova Pokemon. He had Zoroark, one of the most iconic Unova Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
For me it's Bianca, since she played such a part in both sets of games, and we got to see her grow up through the course of them. She started out indecisive and insecure and scatterbrained, then throughout the first games she started to learn to assert herself and to figure out what she wanted to do with her life, so that by the later games, she essentially assumed the role the "professor tree" plays in the games, as the adult who gives us our start. She, to me, is the most notable common thread between the games, and it was nice to see her grow to be decisive and secure and... still a bit scatterbrained. It provided a good sense of the passage of time there AND of continuity. And it was nice that she still had her Munna with her (now a Musharna), and that much nicer that the two of them together were really pretty impressive in Reversal Mountain. They came a long way together, and that was very satisfying to see.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I hate to say it, but I think you're right about N. He was such a complex character, and he was what got a lot of the people to play the games. I think they liked the idea of an anti-villain. Plus N used a lot of interesting Unova Pokemon. He had Zoroark, one of the most iconic Unova Pokemon.

I agree, he was the one main person that was originally secretive, and throughout the games he was the one person other than your protagonist that really tried to stand up to Ghetsis to a great extent, and really question his ideas as well as his own.

For me it's Bianca, since she played such a part in both sets of games, and we got to see her grow up through the course of them. She started out indecisive and insecure and scatterbrained, then throughout the first games she started to learn to assert herself and to figure out what she wanted to do with her life, so that by the later games, she essentially assumed the role the "professor tree" plays in the games, as the adult who gives us our start. She, to me, is the most notable common thread between the games, and it was nice to see her grow to be decisive and secure and... still a bit scatterbrained. It provided a good sense of the passage of time there AND of continuity. And it was nice that she still had her Munna with her (now a Musharna), and that much nicer that the two of them together were really pretty impressive in Reversal Mountain. They came a long way together, and that was very satisfying to see.

Oh hey that's an interesting point. Other than Cheren we've seen her grow the most, and we've seen more of her journey than even our own protagonist!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's either Hilda or N, because of all the shipping fanarts related to them. But then there's Iris because of her role in the anime as a psuedo-Misty. Regardless, whichever character best represents Unova for me would mean he/she could be our 5th gen rep for the upcoming SSB title.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
N FOR SURE. <3 Why, he's the best face of Unova one could ever give! When one mentions B/W, it is almost certain that one of the first characters one would think of is N. He is one of the most developed and most complex characters in the whole generation, and also undeniably the most well remembered. I'd give anything to be the player for a moment just to meet N. <3.....wait, am I fangirling about N again? Oops~:3 <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024

These are the two characters that came to mind for me as well, for the exact same reasons that lollygag and Arlo mentioned.

It's either Hilda or N, because of all the shipping fanarts related to them. But then there's Iris because of her role in the anime as a psuedo-Misty. Regardless, whichever character best represents Unova for me would mean he/she could be our 5th gen rep for the upcoming SSB title.
Hilda? How does Hilda represent Unova when the protagonist has 0 character development past advancing through the region and becoming stronger?

Digital Eevee

Team Digi-Eon
Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2013
Like most people I would say N.
He has a character unlike any other character in the Pokemon world, he seemed to walk a fine line between good and evil.
Hopefully we will see more character like him in the future.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Hilda? How does Hilda represent Unova when the protagonist has 0 character development past advancing through the region and becoming stronger?

Have you not seen the many fanarts of Hilda, whether it's by herself or shipped with N? She's more popular than Hillbert and close to Red's status as a memetic badarse/sex god.

Shadow-L

Lonesome Road
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
N was an excellent representation of the concepts 5th gen brought, as many people have already stated. I also really liked the contrast between Cheren and Bianca, including their goals and reasons for starting their Pokemon journey. It relates to the fanbase, in a way. The changing attitudes of the Team Plasma sages and Hugh were also really interesting to see.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Bianca was the first thought in my mind. Personally, N is just annoying. Purely irritating to me.

Bianca was just amazing to me. She started off, sweet, kind, and raring to go and wanting to be strong. As the game went on, she realized that being strong or a Champion wasn't really her calling. She was indecisive, something I'm sure many sixteen year olds can relate to. Her main factor for me is how relatable she was. She wasn't some diabolical mastermind, she wasn't some crazy green haired fool who believed in fear tactics to save Pokemon, nor was she some flavorless ten year old starting trainer who caught God in a purple ball. She was a normal, relatable, sane character. Plus, she's so flippin' cute. <3

Years
Bianca was the first thought in my mind. Personally, N is just annoying. Purely irritating to me.

Bianca was just amazing to me. She started off, sweet, kind, and raring to go and wanting to be strong. As the game went on, she realized that being strong or a Champion wasn't really her calling. She was indecisive, something I'm sure many sixteen year olds can relate to. Her main factor for me is how relatable she was. She wasn't some diabolical mastermind, she wasn't some crazy green haired fool who believed in fear tactics to save Pokemon, nor was she some flavorless ten year old starting trainer who caught God in a purple ball. She was a normal, relatable, sane character. Plus, she's so flippin' cute. <3

I agree with you, she and Cheren were the characters that represented Unova the most.

Bianca especially, because I remember when her father tried to stop her going on a Pokemon journey and when she couldn't compare her strength to that of Hilbert/Hilda and Cheren, and then the eventually found her true career at the end of B/W that then continued into B2/W2, being Professor Juniper's assistant who gave Nate/Rosa their starter.

She went through loads of development compared to most other characters, and she's one of my faves too!

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
N, Cheren, and Bianca, for the reasons stated above. Each of the Gym Leaders, though, also contributed to the meaning and message of Unova through their various conversations with the protagonist.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I've always remembered Iris as the face of Unova. She's everywhere in Unova: She's one of Ash's traveling buddies in the anime, a Gym-Leader in Pokemon White and eventually becoming the Champion (Which I was pleasantly surprised about :surprised:) two years later in the B2W2 series. So yes, I remember Iris more than anyone else.

Back