• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue hack: Pokemon Wood

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
This hack is just ... wow. It deserves heaps of respect. ^^ This is the next generation (lol) Generation I hack, carrying on from where Brown and other Brown-like hacks left off. Fantastic work.

Seriously, a dude who goes as far as writing his own program to help create a hack clearly means business and deserves heaps of respect. The fact that you've managed to reverse engineer technologies from later games (RTC system is just... aaaaaah) is frankly brilliant (though I would guess Pokémon animations would be just a step too far? :P ).

All of that, and plus there is a well thought out plot and story behind it. Interesting characters, plot twists, etc, etc. Managing that amongst all the technical barriers you've traversed is also an achievement.

I guess on the whole, really nice work. Big thumbs up for the respect department. ^^ Keep at it!

PS - Nice boxart. Suitably retro. Definitely looks like a 90's scan-to-gif job (if that was the effect you were going for ^^' It's still good composition nonetheless). Ahh... what the Internet used to be... [insert Dial-Up Connection noise here]

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
=============
I've been craving a good GBC hack D: I hope this is ready soon and I wish you luck
=============
Wow! Day/Night on a GB rom ._.
You sir are a genius!
=============
Thank you.

This hack is just ... wow. It deserves heaps of respect. ^^ This is the next generation (lol) Generation I hack, carrying on from where Brown and other Brown-like hacks left off. Fantastic work.

Seriously, a dude who goes as far as writing his own program to help create a hack clearly means business and deserves heaps of respect. The fact that you've managed to reverse engineer technologies from later games (RTC system is just... aaaaaah) is frankly brilliant (though I would guess Pokémon animations would be just a step too far? :P ).

All of that, and plus there is a well thought out plot and story behind it. Interesting characters, plot twists, etc, etc. Managing that amongst all the technical barriers you've traversed is also an achievement.

I guess on the whole, really nice work. Big thumbs up for the respect department. ^^ Keep at it!
Thank you for the good feedback. About animations, it could definitely possible although it would take a lot of space for added sprites (since I couldn't manage to build a compresser for new images and I reworked the engine to load uncompressed images too), and I also don't feel like devamping and inserting 160+ sprites again.At least not now. Anyway I want you all to know that I always like to receive suggestions about features and ideas to put into this project, so, thanks for that.

PS - Nice boxart. Suitably retro. Definitely looks like a 90's scan-to-gif job (if that was the effect you were going for ^^' It's still good composition nonetheless). Ahh... what the Internet used to be... [insert Dial-Up Connection noise here]
Haha, well I made it in the time when I was devamping pokemon sprites so I felt like making a devamped boxart too!

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
I've added an info screen at the beginning of the game (thanks to Mateo for the design of the Skeetendo logo). I've also edited the SGB border to a more fitting color scheme:

67445790.png
57001030.png

I also modified the palette loading function, so now each pokemon has its own palette (Blue used only 10 different palette for all the 151 pokemon):
61993751.png
67815838.png

Bonus screen: route view at night time.
23430375.png

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I've added an info screen at the beginning of the game (thanks to Mateo for the design of the Skeetendo logo). I've also edited the SGB border to a more fitting color scheme:

67445790.png
57001030.png

I also modified the palette loading function, so now each pokemon has its own palette (Blue used only 10 different palette for all the 151 pokemon):
61993751.png
67815838.png

Bonus screen: route view at night time.
23430375.png
Wow you just don't cease to amaze me. This looks like G/S/C hack as opposed to a RBGY hack which is amazing! I really like your devamps too. Though I'm curious as to why you chose Blue over Gold/Silver? Keep up the good work.

Saten Ruiko

» ^-^
Years
Since my English is limited I'll try to say it as short as I can: You hack awesome, maybe one of the best GB-Hacks around these forums. I love your story and the features. The screenshots are as sweet as sugar, same to your latest update. I will definitely bookmark this, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
It looks like a 2. gen game, with is awesome for a 1. gen hack :D And you have chosen some of my favorite sprites for individual pokemon (Like Silver Bulbasaur if i'm not wrong)

Bookmarked.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2013
whoa nice hack there,
is there gonna be a RTC event in this game?
good luck, i hope you can complete this hack ;)

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Official statement: This hack will be better than my Pokemon Brown if completed.

I'm very proud of you and everyone who is pushing ROM hacking forward while I'm busy with other stuff. Keep it up.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
I've added color palette for different daytimes (colors' choices will probably change during the development):
dc6458ea9e349d2f6095651a1f3de6d5.gif

ANSWERS:
Spoiler:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Awesome work :)

I like how you implemented the clock system so that it doesn't use same kind of routine to check if it's morning/day/night (and so there are also more than three palettes).

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Brown version... wood version.

Was gen 1 really that boring?

(Looks pretty good though, I must say.)

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Brown version... wood version.

Was gen 1 really that boring?

What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).

Anyway, about the actual game: I've completed the pokedex plan, there will be around 180-190 monsters (didn't insert all the actual pokemon yet, though). Also, I've met some glitch involving night palettes that slows down the development a little bit.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years

What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).
I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
I like this idea! And shouldn't even be too hard to implement. Thanks for this.

I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.
I see what you mean. Just for record, anyway, Wood is intended as place, not as material.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years

An extension to this idea could be (and I'm just getting creative here) that you added new HMs or item that magically change the seasons, that way you could have more than basic cut trees or water blocking paths. You could have overgrown trees which will die out in the winter and let you past.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
~Red has a point.
Having seasons in your Blue hack would be good.
It gives you more obstacle rather than cut trees and water.
and also it would be good I don't think any released hack so far has a working season implemented. :D

Back