• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The "So Underrated"

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
Rule of Rose hands down. One of the most breathtakingly beautiful games with an intriguing plot that is perfectly woven and characters that stay with you forever, it's mixed reviews did it no justice, just because reviewers were so unintelligent that they can't fathom the concepts of the game and "get confused" at the storyline. Pffft. It isn't a game for people who cannot think, no, and that want everything spoonfed to them in the most simplistic direct way possible, but for the intelligent creation it is, it is a genuine GEM of horror games, much better than the crap pumped out today.

Deadly Premonition is another nearly flawless gem in horror games that is severely criticized despite being miles better than ANY RE and most SH installments. And all mainly because of the "dates graphics". It's execution is simply spot on for a horror crime tale, intoroducing both new elements of horror with FINALLY actual gameplay of "Oh my god, a killer is on the lose, RUN HIDE" that hasn't hardly been seen since forever because of the "lets get bombs or nuke the heck out of enemy" crap started for every scary game. It's a clever game. It's like watching a mystery unfold before your eyes. It's chilling. It's bizarre. It's deep. And what people can't "get", they rate badly.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
I think Kirby's Adventure for the NES and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (for gameboy) are both underrated. I love both of the games but I don't think either of them got enough recognition. I think they're amazing and should be recognized more. I might be wrong but this is just my opinion.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I think Kirby's Adventure for the NES and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (for gameboy) are both underrated. I love both of the games but I don't think either of them got enough recognition. I think they're amazing and should be recognized more. I might be wrong but this is just my opinion.
I'd agree about Amazing Mirror, but Kirby's Adventure actually has incredible Critical and Consumer Reception due to its being the introduction of the staple of the Kirby franchise.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Gen 3
The former is pretty well-received and known, while the latter is just overlooked. They're not underrated at all.

Anyway, Mario Sunshine was the first to come to mind. I always thought it was a better game than Mario 64, but that game gets point for being the first 3d mario game and nostalgia, ignoring the awful level design, camera and controls. Not to say Mario Sunshine doesn't have those, but they were better than 64's. It's still a great Mario game.
Of course, Galaxy is obviously the better game.

Jak 2 and 3 are criminally underrated. I understand the criticism that 2 receives, but it's still a good game despite being the weakest. But the worst is the fact because of 2, a lot of people overlook AND underrate 3, when it fixed every problem 2 has and had a great balance of 1 and 2. If it weren't for the bad taste Jak 2 left, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 was considered the best in the series instead of 1. Also the best Jak design.

Years
I feel I bring up Dragon Age 2 in every thread, but thats cause I don't get the negative press what so ever. The only negative I had with it is the repeated use of stupid area's. (I initially hated not being an elf, but then I was convinced I needed to be human by the story). The skill leveling thing and combat was so much better then origins, I liked the fact my characters had their own armor, cause origins characters apart from Morrigan looked rediculous in armor, and the only reason Morrigan looked okay is she has TWO exclusive Morrigan only armors. I am more inthralled by DA2's story, and Mass effect like wheel.

Viva Pinata is a great call by Sydian, such a good time filler.

Apart from that I haven't ever really left series I am comfortable with (Pokemon,Bioshock, FIFA, Football Manager, LoZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls, Fallout) untill this year. Already I have played a few of the Tales games and wondered how I never heard of them till this year, same for Kingdom Hearts , Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest. I have enjoyed them all so much and wonder how mainstream casual gamers (like I used to be) missed out on this cause the games are over looked.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
:)

There are a tonne of underrated games out there. McPixel is one of em! :D

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Alright, I know I'm really, really, really, really, REALLY, going to get some serious back lash for this one.

My vote is .... Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) *FLAME SHIELD UP!* Now, before people start bashing me for it, I don't mind people disliking the game and my overall feelings towards it is an above decent game (I never said it was amazing) I do feel that people constantly bash it though for a lot of factors that the Sonic Adventure titles were guilty of as well. I've played through the 360 version about 3 times actually and hardly found any of the bugs people keep on mentioning which brings to my attention that most of the bugs you had to look for as oppose to just playing the game normally. The controls actually felt responsive for me and though just a tad bit awkward at first, I got use to easily. I can agree that the camera sucked, the loading screens are a huge nuisance, and Sonic's story was very lacking. But when you look past it, I feel there is very solid gameplay to be had. I know it was rushed and does have bugs. But most of them didn't feel they broke the game making it bad, just kind of fun ones to abuse and laugh at like the ones you see in Mario 64.

As I said, I don't mind people disliking it, I can understand. But there are a lot of people who kind of view it as a SuperMan 64 and I'm like.... no. Or even people saying it's the worst Sonic game ever or even the worst game ever in general. Definitly not the worse Sonic game out there, that title goes to Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA (the terrible port, not the original) I mean, whether or not you hate the game, legimenitly like it, or whatever, I think people can agree that the fans overreact to this game too much especially considering how people still criticize it even after 6 years of release. It is just my perspective though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
^I find that Sonic 2006 was bad as a game, not simply as a Sonic game. It did have a crapton of problems, and to call it decent, in my opinion, may be an overstatement. The gameplay was not that bad (it wasn't that good, either), but it was riddled with unfixed glitches I'm usually pretty strict on calling a game bad and don't do it unless I think a game is genuinely so, but I think the Sonic 2006 apathy is warranted. I don't, however, think it's terrible, nor do I think that it's the game's fault. Every time a new generation comes out, developers want to try something new with the hardware, and thus, Sonic 2006 was born. It's faults were mostly due to the circumstances of its conception.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
Digimon World Dawn/Dusk were underrated.

I really liked them, and I always chose the Speed pack in Dawn and Attack pack in Dusk.

Plus, the boss music is EPIC! Go look it up on YouTube!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
^Is that game any better than the first one? I was vastly disappointed with Digimon World DS, especially after the very well done 1-3. If it is, I'll give it a try.
It's been a long time since I played Dawn (I got it launch week day), but I definitely remember enjoying it more than DS, which I also really enjoyed. It's the same as the DS game except actually improved, and I actually liked it enough to do two playthroughs of the game, which is rare of me haha.

I can't say if it's any better than the original Digimon world trilogy since I only played the first game very briefly, but I still think it's a solid game. You should give it a try.
By the way, I heard that Dawn is actually harder than Dusk. I only really tried the intro of Dusk, but considering the differences (bosses, locations, available digimon, etc) I can see it being true.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I was joking about the Black Ops to whoever posted about it lol I just wanted to see people reaction. I actually hate Black Ops cuz of a lot of things but I found Saints Row 2 to be very underrated. Most people thought it was just a rip off of GTA's San Andreas but it's alot different. It's kind of the same just an upgraded version and does lots of things but still different. Also theres this one Nintendo 64 game but I can't remember what it's called. It was also very underrated.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
i agree that shin megami tensei strange journey on the ds was a very overlooked game especially for a MegaTen game it was one of the longest main quest games on the ds and was overall very fun,at least for me

also generation of chaos for the psp was a romping good time for me while everyone else who played said it was too complex and all that. granted that is EXACTLY why it went under the radar...the game was not user friendly at all with a 80+ page online instruction manual,menus with little explanation,and overall mechanics that took hours to get used to. but i really enjoyed it being the nerd i am and will buy it off the PSN when i get a Vita

one more would be the timesplitters series on various last gen consoles....it didnt have the hardcore vibe...in fact it was quite a funny game but it was a great FPS imo. it had all these characters with different stats,a truckload of guns(everything from an assault rifle to a harpoon gun to a laser machine gun),and it just felt a little more entertaining than other shooters

Sonicfan9988

Sonic, Hilda & Rosa! ♥
Years
Eternal Champions for the Sega Genesis is one of my fave underrated video games! It is a fighting game that is a mixture of elements from Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat! While it was popular in the Genesis days (It sold over 2 million copies.), it is barley acknowledged these days.

The Sega CD Sequel, Eternal Champions:Challenge from the Dark Side, is even more underrated, but the sequel had more characters, more stages, cd quality music and the gameplay is smoother than the Genesis game.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Eternal Champions for the Sega Genesis is one of my fave underrated video games! It is a fighting game that is a mixture of elements from Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat! While it was popular in the Genesis days (It sold over 2 million copies.), it is barley acknowledged these days.

The Sega CD Sequel, Eternal Champions:Challenge from the Dark Side, is even more underrated, but the sequel had more characters, more stages, cd quality music and the gameplay is smoother than the Genesis game.
From your first paragraph, I'm assuming the games are actually just overlooked?

Don't be confused by both terms. Underrated means it has a lot of negative reception, be it for all the wrong reasons or that much negativity is warranted, moreso than deserves. Overlooked is when something good or decent isn't getting the attention it deserves, and is generally well received by the people who do know about it. (Though I feel it's more of a hyperbolic term, but that's a different thing.)

Rayman Origins and F-Zero GX are examples of overlooked games, they're both very received, amazing games and got a cult following, but are generally ignored by the majority for whatever reason. Street Fighter x Tekken/Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Resident Evil 5 are all examples of underrated games, and while their reception is understandable they get more hate than they deserve. I felt I should bring up the former two especially, despite how much I dislike SFxT myself, because the reason for the negativity is due to their questionable business decisions and not the games themselves. (On-disc DLC if you will.)

EDIT: Oh crap all the underrated examples are Capcom games. lol Another NOT A CAPCOM GAME example is Metal Gear Solid 2, mostly among fans. The reason is stupid too. (Snake not being the real main character.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
^Rayman Origins, absolutely, one of my favourite games of this gen and one of the best platformers I've played in recent memory, that game is so overlooked its criminal.

Also going with something someone posted earlier, Gungrave: Overdose (PS2) was such a fun game and basically no-one seemed to care about it. I never played the first Gungrave game so I don't know how to compare it, but Overdose oozed style and just made blowing up stuff so fun. I still think of that awesome pose Grave goes into when firing a missle from his coffin to this day.

Back