• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Fire Red 251+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Huh? You dont get what i mean budd. What i mean is that, this is a rom base,right? So that means you can use this as a base for your hack, like MrDollSteak's decap and attack ROM base. So now i'm asking why we can't. As he stated on his post. Right here :

Exactly, he doesn't want his rom basehack to be shared from one hack to another.

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Huh? You dont get what i mean budd. What i mean is that, this is a rom base,right? So that means you can use this as a base for your hack, like MrDollSteak's decap and attack ROM base. So now i'm asking why we can't. As he stated on his post. Right here :
I'm not sure what it is you're failing to understand here, but this isn't a rombase. It's an upfront hack meant to be played. If you want to make a hack like it, use MrDollSteak's project (which can be found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7814321&postcount=252) as a base, not this. While you technically could use this hack as a base instead, it would be very impolite since, as you pointed out, the dev explicitly doesn't want it to be used as one.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Then why would he even bother telling "If you wish to hack with this (please, I
implore you… don't use this as a base
for a big project" thing, if thats the case?

Allrighty i'm just trying to clarrify :)

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
Years
Then why would he even bother telling "If you wish to hack with this (please, I
implore you… don't use this as a base
for a big project" thing, if thats the case?

Allrighty i'm just trying to clarrify :)

Because he doesn't want you to? He's telling you because if he didn't, and someone used it, he wouldn't have anything to say back considering he didn't tell anyone not to. That's how it generally works.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Thanks for that report, I had fixed Brock way before but I guess updating things regressed that. On the topic of abilities, does anyone know if a similar case happens on similar ability cases like say... if Tangled Feet Pidgey evolved and the ability turns into Keen Eye?

As for the "why did you throw in the INIs and encourage hacking, then say please don't use this as a base?"
If you'd take a look into the actual rombase I used (which actually has things I didn't include like an actual Fairy Type by the way, it's in the Hacking Resources thread) and actually read the purpose of the hack, you would see why this isn't a base and how different they are. This hack is not intended to be a rombase, or I would've thrown it into the Hacking Resources thread. There will be more differences in time as well, I do have some things planned. I merely threw in the INIs for those who wanted to customize their experience: add in a different starter for nuzlocke purposes, modify the rivals, etc. (basically things that people want to do with most other hacks though this one requires the INI files and proper tools to do so), and to counter a question that would be popped eventually right along with it.

I guess you could say I'd rather someone didn't use this and they would use the rombase I used instead as more potential can come from it than by using my own as a base. I guess I couldn't stop anyone, but they would be shooting themselves in the foot in one way or another.

3.4b:
I wanted this to be released alongside a data list, but I have been making rather merry lately. I wanted one last release of fixes and such to be out before Christmas. On that note, a Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope Santa Delibird didn't bring you a Hard Stone!

-Fixed a regression in Brock's name being spaced improperly.
-New sprites for Pineco, Forretress, Dunsparce, and Gligar. Thanks again to The DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Resource.
-While I was fixing sprite positions, I made Geodude no longer float (what was Game Freak thinking again?)
-ThunderStone now has no space like the badge names. This fixes a text bug in the Dept. Store's Wiseman Gifts.
-Decap'd the rest of the Tea event. I thought I did that all at once before, apologies!
-Did not fix a text bug with the Game Freak staff room computers on purpose (I thought this was actually funny because of the computer directly next to it).
-Elekid/Electabuzz now learn Charge Beam instead of Shock Wave. This actually makes more sense anyway.

IPS: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y2gizk30r1tbuv2/Pokemon_Fire_Red_251__3.4b.ips

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Thanks for that. In the meantime, I'll add that to the bug list.

EDIT: Quick note to everyone, I'll be fixing another issue with Brock in the next update. Apparently he regressed further than just the name change. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2021
is this un-yape-able? i try putting it in to yape but it reads "error reading base stats."

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I've already mentioned this before in the OP (bugs and notices contains other useful tool information as well), but don't use YAPE with this because it won't work. This is because of most movesets all being in different offsets and the expanded tables won't show up.

You're going to want to use Pokemon Game Editor's Pokemon Editior, using the downloaded INI files found in the links. It's really the only editor out there right now that can handle this one, sorry!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2021
thanks for responding. also, when i try to edit it there are a bunch of symbols jumbled with the names of abilities and pokemon. is that supposed to happen?

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I've actually never seen this happen personally. What tools are you using to come to this result and how?

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2021
i'm using gamer2020's pokemon game editor. i bring and extract your ini file to the ini folder in the game editor's folder, open the editor and load the 251 rom. i go to internal programs and click pokemon editor. bulbasaur's name shows up as like B¥hFFFFE9E0ba¥h - same with the other pokemon and abilties and such

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Hmm... take out the TrainerEditor.ini. It shouldn't be in PGE's ini folder anyway and is for Unnamed Trainer Editor.

If this doesn't help, try patching another ROM. Does the one you're using work in an emulator at this point? You may have patched the wrong version of FireRed.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2021
i took out the trainereditor.ini, left only the roms.ini in the ini folder and it still continues. yes, the one im using also works in the emulator.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Hmmm... I got nothing. I wonder if anyone else has this problem looking through it with tools?

3.4c:
-Fixed Brock for real.
-Adjusted the sprite position of Haunter to be a little higher.
-Snorlax's Seed Bomb and Wild Charge are switched.
-Clefairy now learns Grass Knot instead of Safeguard, and Clefable learns Hyper Voice through relearner.
-Doduo/Dodrio, Ponyta/Rapidash, and Stantler can now learn from the Mega Kick tutor.
-TM47 is now Flash Cannon.

Flash Cannon is one of the more radically altered of all the TM changes because of just how small of a set from the first 251 actually learn it: aside from the original TM learnset, electric types and a few learners of Flash (no, not all of Flash) that can benefit from another type of special move and can use this plausibly can be taught this. It's weird, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not breaking any Pokemon at all by giving them a Steel-Type attack.

-All of the new TM descriptions were repointed to different offsets. This fixes any description text bugs that may or may not have happened.
-Decapitalized an instance of COIN CASE in the Game Corner's prize room.

IPS: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vi55abvd99du76a/Pokemon_Fire_Red_251__3.4c.ips

Next update if a quick hotfix isn't needed before it: Pokemon List. I've been putting this off for too long, and since I think I've done the last of the TM changes the time sounds good as can be. I'll even have the whole deal a little more organized, with everything in a nice zip archive. How cool is that?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 15, 2017
Hi, I don't know if this is just me but...

I'm stuck on the second round of E4; when I go to fight Gary, every time he pulls out his Tyranitar, the game freezes once Sand Stream activates. I'm relatively certain this is a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back