• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I skipped gen 5

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
Some people hate gen 5 but I love them all legends were awsome and the pokemon designs unique people who say they were bad designs forgets about gen 1s bad pokemon idees like voltorb, electrode, grimer, muk and a seal pokemon named seel very original indeed....

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
To be, Generation 5 was one of the better games. The storyline was a lot better than most other games, if you plan to get B2, I would go ahead and get B1 as well, B1 only has 5th Gen pokemon till after the main storyline.

And BW did have a good amount of post game at the time, there was 3 areas you never even got to explore until after,but you will explore them in B2.

People say they didn't like the first game because you didn't get older pokemon till after the E4, that is what made the game fun for me, it was a fresh start.

Years
I don't think 5th Gen is bad, in fact they had some of the most epic stories in a Pokemon game (Black/White I'm looking at you and your very strong storyline) and the Pokemon introduced are among my faves, or at least most of them. As the others stated, you should give them a try because a true Pokemon fan always tries to at least play every generation.

Plus, you will need the 5th Gen games for when Pokemon Bank finally comes out. And B2/W2 also has a really good postgame, and you can always opt for that if you don't like B/W. I do recommend both sets of games, they are worth playing.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm glad you're getting Black 2. I think you'll enjoy it. There's a lot much to do in it than Black and White. Admittedly , I think Black and White has the better storyline. I know alot of people hate gen V, but I really enjoyed them much more than gen IV. While Generation IV wass nice, I couldn't get into to it's games as much. But Gen V really stood out for me. Although Gen III will always be my favorite, but gen V is 2nd for my favorite generation. They're just really unique games compared to the others and I hope you enjoy Black 2.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I've been playing an emulator for it and I like it. Your Rivals are kinda lame, but other than that, it's pretty cool. The pre-game is very slow and stuff, but other than that, I'm sure if you get into it you'll like it.

Outlier

Skipping gen 5 is a lot like skipping Preschool. It doesn't really matter in the end and no one will hold it against you whether you go through it or you don't. So I say why not just skip gen 5 which was the weakest gen by far and buy something that is actually worth your money. Besides, every single thing that gen 5 did right generation 6 does much better. If you're looking to play some of the older games that you missed why not try gens 4 and 3?

How much did you miss in your time away from Pokemon? This would help us answer your question better. But no Gen 5 isn't worth it in my opinion.

Years
This might go to show that I'm ruled by consumerism, but I'll buy and enjoy any game entitled Pokèmon. But I agree with some opinions on 5th gen, the Pokèmon designs are kind of thrown together and the music isn't all that great. Yet, the storyline was pretty cool. So, if you want to fully understand and appreciate Pokèmon, I'd at least play all the main storyline games.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
^ Same.

I buy every game, and heck even bonus things (ah Gen III I'm looking at you).

I really, really enjoyed Black and White simply because it was 'fresh'. I say give it a go, but would argue against playing B2 before B1. I think it's important to play them prior to moving to the next games.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 21, 2014
My copy of Black 2 arrived last night. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I really like the second gym. I also like making those silly movies at Pokestar Studios. I'm going to try and take my time playing through it so that I can experience everything the game has to offer. ^-^

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Gen 5 is the worst generation by far, so I wouldn't recommend playing them, especially Black/White. B/W were just awful.

Years
Well, i'm glad you're liking it! The Pokédex variety isn't as crazy as XY's, but as I mentioned, it's still solid and there is definitely a lot to like about Black 2 and White 2.

Speaking of the Gyms, that is one other thing I didn't mention - each one gets their own theme suited to it, which no other main series game has done yet. Nifty!

Yukari

Gen 5 is the worst generation by far, so I wouldn't recommend playing them, especially Black/White. B/W were just awful.
They weren't that bad, balck and white were, a bit stale, but not the worst. (In my opinion that was generation 3. I didn't dislike generation 3 by the way.) Black and white 2 were fresh and had a better story then black and white. I didn't like how Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 all followed the generic Pokemon formula though.

The best points of the game, In my opinion, are as follows:

1. Both games have the best graphics of the Pokemon games for the ds. The sprites in battle are well animated and generally look good, if a bit... pixely when zoomed in.
  2. They all include a story better then the previous games in the series.
  3. New and just great legendary Pokemon, I especially like Zekrom.
  4. New features, though a bit too much emphasis on WI-fi.

In the end I'd say, you have to be stupid to miss out on these four great games, they aren't the best in the series, but they aren't the worst either.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 5, 2015
Gen 5 had the best story of all generations, including X & Y.

N is the most fleshed out character I think I've seen in Pokemon.

I loved the music too, and the Pokemon weren't as bad as people make out. Sure, there were some silly ones, but there's been silly Pokemon since Generation 1, it's nothing new.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I liked gen 5 due to its music during battles and its story was also very interesting.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Black and White 2 has completely changed my opinion of Gen 5. After Black and White, I said it was the worst generation. Then after I played Black and White 2, I'm tempted to say it's the best one. Black and White 2 are brilliant games. Not just brilliant Pokemon games, brilliant games period.The story is great, the gameplay is near flawless IMO, and it has a ton of post-game content.

Black and White are decent, but pretty lackluster. It feels like they didn't put much effort into them. But they make up for it with BW2. If you're looking for a good Pokemon game I would go with Black and White 2, but of course you may want to play Black/White in order to get the backstory.

I would whole heartedly recommend Gen 5 and I think you're really missing out by not having played it.

Years
Black and White 2 has completely changed my opinion of Gen 5. After Black and White, I said it was the worst generation. Then after I played Black and White 2, I'm tempted to say it's the best one. Black and White 2 are brilliant games. Not just brilliant Pokemon games, brilliant games period.The story is great, the gameplay is near flawless IMO, and it has a ton of post-game content.

Black and White are decent, but pretty lackluster. It feels like they didn't put much effort into them. But they make up for it with BW2. If you're looking for a good Pokemon game I would go with Black and White 2, but of course you may want to play Black/White in order to get the backstory.

I would whole heartedly recommend Gen 5 and I think you're really missing out by not having played it.

You know, I have a friend who basically has the exact same opinion on BW2 as you. He didn't like Black and White much at all. Then he had heard the sequels were even worse and that they dumped on everything good the originals had, and he was ready to give up on the series.

Then he bought Black 2, expecting the worst. He played it. And his opinion on it was exactly the opposite of what he thought it was going to be - he thought it was f***ing awesome. He did have a couple complaints with it, but it's his second favorite behind Emerald, he just had a ton of fun with it.

And I still do enjoy my White 2 to this day, i've even completed the National Dex and got the Shiny Charm, along with plenty of Medals. I haven't played it as much recently but i'm sure i'll pick it up again in due time.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Putting in my two cents as well.

Black and White were absolutely terrible. I clawed and dragged myself through my Black version, just so I could get to the end with the hope that maybe maybe it would get better or redeem itself.

Spoiler alert: it didn't.

The storyline was okay, but there was so, sooo much more that could've been done with the evil team. Their stated goals didn't really align with many of their member's attitudes, and the real leader ended up... well... not to give anything away, but it was really cheesy, stereotypical, and last minute.

If you like any of the old Pokemon, don't expect to see them in Black and White. You won't. Not until the postgame, which has absolutely nothing in it. I'm serious. There's nothing to do at all.

I played Black when it was the newest game in the series, and man, was I disappointed. I was so disgusted with Black that I was ready to be rid of Pokemon. Back when they WERE Gen 5, I thought that if this is the direction Game Freak is going with the series, than I wanted no part of it.

Black2 and White2 came out sometime later, and I only bought Black2 as a way to mercifully end my Unova adventure, like you would mercifully end the life of an animal so old that all it can do is pee on itself and ruin the house, and say goodbye to the sinking ship that was Pokemon.

I was so, so happy with what I found in Black2. Really, the difference is night and day. The storyline is superb for a Pokemon game (though not perfect, no Pokemon story really is, so I let that pass), the characters were fun and believable, and they fixed literally EVERY gripe I had with the original B/W. The postgame was plentiful enough that it kept you busy, and the Pokemon World Tournament was loads of fun. If you like the older Pokemon, you can get them again. The added Join Avenue was super cool, but now that X/Y is out, I'm not sure if you'll be able to expand it as much as we did back in the day, because it was a cooperative effort to grow it by trading and battling. The region is huge and expansive, and you'll find yourself marveling at how big it is. B2/W2 Unova is easily the biggest region we've see so far. I'm not sure if I could name any one Pokemon game as my favorite, but damn, Black2 really blew many of the games in the series out of the water for me. It was that good.

If you're used to X/Y, or even Gen 4, you'll have a few things to adjust to for Gen 5. Pretty much nothing is in 3D, which is to be expected. The Pokemon move constantly in battle, but can look a little distorted because of it. There is no Fairy-type, as that is a Gen 6 thing, so the type chart is the same as you remember it. AND Gen 5 is backwards compatible with Gen 4, and Gen 5 games (B/W/B2/W2) are the only ones that are compatible with the Pokemon Bank's Poke Transporter, so if you want to bring your Gen 4 Pokemon up into X/Y, they'll need to go through a Gen 5 game first.

That said, if you're only in the money to buy one game from Gen 5, pick either Black2 or White2. Hands down. Read the first game's story online before playing them, and you'll be all caught up. If you want both games, then buy either Black and Black2, OR White and White2. The version exclusives and legendaries are set up in such a way that you want the same color for both the first and second games so you don't have overlap. You will suffer going through the first ones. You will. But you'll have a better grasp on the story and the newer Pokemon before you head into B2/W2, where you'll breathe a sigh of relief and put down the noose you were weaving at the end of B/W when the big bad... well, I'll let you figure it out.

Years
In my opinion gen 5 sucked its like drinking cough syrup how they tried to get the player to use their horrificly designed new pokemon and didnt let you play with pokemon actually worth using, well i guess serperior and haxorus were cool... The story broke the formula a little that was nice.

Back