• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gym Leaders Are People Too!

Years
So for the first time in pokemon, we got to know a lot more about all of the gym leaders! Sure we knew a bit about Roark and Fantina, but what was touched upon in Sinnoh was very little. In BW, however, we got to know each gym leader's character, their profession, they became less like bosses to beat and more like people to fight. So my question for you is, did you like this addition to the games? Do you think it made the story better, and the gym leaders more interesting? Or do you think it made them appear weaker and less important. Do you wish BW had let us know more about the gym leaders? (or a specific gym leader) Or perhaps you didn't care and just skipped the text so you could get to the action of the game. Share your thoughts!

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I disagree, I think character development among gym leaders is something that always existed in the series, sometimes more, sometimes less. RBY had Giovanni, whom you fought several times. In GSC, Clair's refusal to give you a badge meant you had to be tested by the Blackthorn clan (the test is different between GS and Crystal; HGSS features the Crystal event), and some of the Kanto gym leaders were found outside their gyms (Misty, Blue). RSE had the Wattson New Mauville sidequest and the "Norman is your dad" thing. FRLG shed some light into gym leaders and E4 members with the Fame Checker, and Lorelei was met in the post-game.

However, it was really with Sinnoh that we started seeing more of it. I remember being completely surprised by Roark's presence in the coal mine when I first played Platinum. Then HGSS continued the trend with the phone call requirements. Only after all that, BW came and focused more on the gym leaders, but the idea was always there.

I like it because the gym leaders are supposed to be interesting people. This is where I think the anime influenced the games a bit, in a case of reversal.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I disagree, I think character development among gym leaders is something that always existed in the series, sometimes more, sometimes less. RBY had Giovanni, whom you fought several times. In GSC, Clair's refusal to give you a badge meant you had to be tested by the Blackthorn clan (the test is different between GS and Crystal; HGSS features the Crystal event), and some of the Kanto gym leaders were found outside their gyms (Misty, Blue). RSE had the Wattson New Mauville sidequest and the "Norman is your dad" thing. FRLG shed some light into gym leaders and E4 members with the Fame Checker, and Lorelei was met in the post-game.

However, it was really with Sinnoh that we started seeing more of it. I remember being completely surprised by Roark's presence in the coal mine when I first played Platinum. Then HGSS continued the trend with the phone call requirements. Only after all that, BW came and focused more on the gym leaders, but the idea was always there.

I like it because the gym leaders are supposed to be interesting people. This is where I think the anime influenced the games a bit, in a case of reversal.

idk I think this was the first generation where they really mattered. Sure the stuff you mentioned exists but to B/W they went further than before in that all gym leaders tried to stop the evil team, and in previous games gym leaders didn't really care about what happened to the world - but these ones were actually supporting, which I think was a positive thing because up until now they've just been there. Sure they've said things before and told you to do things but they're meant to be the strongest in the region but yet they won't help you out? Kinda unfair imo. :(

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I liked how not only did the Gym Leaders show up outside of their gyms, but the gyms themselves actually served another purpose. It made it seem like they were just normal people that were really strong, which was nice. The other way it kind of seemed like they sat at the back of the gym for ages waiting for people to challenge them.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I actually liked the stories behind the gym leaders, it was more nice to see that they actually had lives other than being a gym leader. Like how Elesa is a model, and how Chilli, Cress and Cilan are waiters. Was just a great addition to the series.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I actually liked the stories behind the gym leaders, it was more nice to see that they actually had lives other than being a gym leader. Like how Elesa is a model, and how Chilli, Cress and Cilan are waiters. Was just a great addition to the series.

Awww I was going to say that! Lol. Well, I agree.

Evey

Female Red
Years
Its always been this way though...if you ever read the manga, almost everything circles around the gym leaders. They, with the Player fight for a common goal, generally.
Spoiler:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
@Evey: What's her face... you mean Mikan (Jasmine)? :P
Anyways, I've never actually though of GLs as bosses but normal strong trainers...
I wonder who actually thinks that way ^.^'

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
Its always been this way though...if you ever read the manga, almost everything circles around the gym leaders. They, with the Player fight for a common goal, generally.
Yes, generally. There were quite a few gym leaders who weren't exactly..on your team such as Koga, Lt. Surge, Sabrina, and Pryce.

I agree that the gym leaders needed more of a story to them other than what type of pokemon they have or what they supposedly do in their free time, even though they never seem to come out of their gym leaving me to guess that they sleep and relieve themselves in it as well. I really like how they had the gym leaders actually take part in what was going on. It added more realism to the game that should have been there in the first place.

Years
Depends on what pokemon the gym leader is using. When they have horrible to beat pokemon *cough*Miltank*cough*. If they have I don't want to know anything about the gym leader.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Spoiler:

Thing is the games are different to the manga, and up until now it hasn't been overly... major until now, at least imo, so comparing the manga and games kind of isn't fair given they are two different mediums really. :(

Back