• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chliche, okay?

Do we like chilched fanfics?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes but not too many

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Maybe the occasional one

• No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Subomi Lover

<- lovely jubbly
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2007
One thing I hated about Serebii forums was the fact that they hated chiche fanfics
Spoiler:

i was wondering if it was the same here, cos i love reading and writing cliche fanfics and i hope others feel the same

Yami Rui

Awww {Tackle Glomps}
Years
Majority of people who read and write fics have seen the anime or played the games and think Chliche fics are boring/they hate them for the plot is the same that it is in the anime/game. If someone writes a chliche fic most serious writers say "We've got the anime/game and this is a anime/game rip-off". And it's true actually.

WHAT'S RECOMMENDED: Still have the trainer trying to be a pokemon master/beat the evil organazation. But give the trainer a different past, put surprise romances, use your imagnaition to make your fic more orginal.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
It's "cliché", and "cliché fanfic" means "a fanfic full of clichés", not a fanfic about a Pokémon journey. o_O I think the term you're looking for is "trainer fic".

That said, cliché fanfics are really just not likable in general, but there is nothing wrong with trainer fics that are not clichéd.

Subomi Lover

<- lovely jubbly
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2007
WHAT'S RECOMMENDED: Still have the trainer trying to be a pokemon master/beat the evil organazation. But give the trainer a different past, put surprise romances, use your imagnaition to make your fic more orginal.

well my fic is quite original - his goal isn't to be master of beat organisation BUT it is him going on journey across a region
he doensn't get his starter at begging - in fact he has been a trainer for four years already
so it's kinda like, 4 years after the cliche adventure began

(is that ok?)

Yami Rui

Awww {Tackle Glomps}
Years
well my fic is quite original - his goal isn't to be master or beat the organization BUT it is him going on journey across a region
he doensn't get his starter at begginging - in fact he has been a trainer for four years already
so it's kinda like, 4 years after the cliche adventure began

(is that ok?)

Sorry but now your just going off-topic. If you wan't help on stuff like that, best to PM me.

P.S. work on your grammar.

Subomi Lover

<- lovely jubbly
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2007
Sorry but now your just going off-topic. If you wan't help on stuff like that, best to PM me.

P.S. work on your grammar.

i am good at grammer but only when writing seriously - on forums or quick reply i just type an dnt bother bout splling mistakes
(lol, put a few in on purpose that time)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
One thing I hated about Serebii forums was the fact that they hated chiche fanfics
Spoiler:

i was wondering if it was the same here, cos i love reading and writing cliche fanfics and i hope others feel the same

Cliche, I love that word. It's so universal. It could be used when describing anything.

Sometimes instead of calling them cliches, I say, 'The Simpsons Did It'.

Anyway, one thing people tend to not realize when they claim that something is cliche is the fact that it is statistically impossible to write a good Fic without using at least a few cliches. The reason for this is because just about anything nowadays can be rightfully considered a cliche. Want proof? Here are but a few of the common, yet not-so-obvious examples found in Pokemon.

- Just waking up in Pokemon is cliche.

- Just about any name in the Pokemon Anime is cliche.

- Team Rocket, or ANY 'Team' is cliche.

- Catching Pokemon is cliche.

- Going to the eight Gyms is cliche.

- Legendary Pokemon are cliche.

- Evil mad scientists are cliche.

- The 'surprise twist' is cliche.

- A character dying is, you guessed it, cliche.

- A character coming back to life is cliche.

- And an often overlooked one. Any previously original idea instantly becomes a cliche the minute more than one person uses it.

The Simpsons Did It!

Most people will tell you that the last cliche isn't true, but it is. How do I know? Lord of the Rings, Icewind Dale, MewTwo, and Goku have proven that point to me.

Now, if I typed those up in less than a minute, off the top of my head, you KNOW there's many more. My point, finding a form of entertainment anywhere that isn't cliche is impossible. And anyone who tells you differently is just being foolish.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Pokemon, the Anime and games are so chock full of cliches that simply writing a Fic about Pokemon is already a cliche. If the people on Serebii are complaining about cliches in your Fic, then respond to one of their Pokemon fics by saying, 'A Pokemon Fic? That's so cliche...' (jk).

Anyway, I kind of lost the original point I was trying to make. Oh yeah.

If you're going to write a Fic, basically pretend that the word, 'cliche' never existed. It makes Fics more realistically easy to make. If someone comes on and tells you that your Fic is cliche, make a topic called 'How Not To Make A Cliche Fic' on the Forum. See if you can get a non-Cliche response (if the topic's closed, it's a cliche). It's been seven years, and I have yet to see one. Because all responses are cliche. Because it doesn't matter if someone thinks the story is cliche or not. Because 'cliche' is only what someone thinks it is. Because if criticism is only an opinion, then so is the word, 'cliche'.

Bottom Line: If you're gonna use cliches, use them. Trust me, if a Fic's good, nobody's gonna give two hoots about you using cliches. I'd rather see a good Fic full of cliches than a crappy one with no cliches.

Show me an RPG without cliches and I'll show you an unproduced game.

Last edited:
Back