• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

accent

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
My accent has virtually travelled all over the globe it seems. I've deliberately changed my accent a number of times just through practicing the phonemes of a dialect I want to learn, which also helped me understand that there is no such thing as speaking accentless English (or any other language for that matter), unless you are a mute.

I used to speak with a pretty flat New Yorker/Mid-Atlantic accent, partly due to how I learnt English primarily through watching the telly and playing video games. I spelt everything like an American too. However, my English teacher got fed up with me about that, and she often mocked me openly in class for speaking the way I did. She only barely didn't deduct points off my tests for spelling colour without a u, so in that case, my accent went mid-way between American and British, AKA Mid-Atlantic. Englishmen would comment I sound American, and Americans would comment I sound British, or worse, Canadian.

Overtime, I started fooling around with the International Phonetic Alphabet, and I got into amateur linguistics. I got into conlanging a bit and tooled with grammar, phonetics, and all sorts of things. I was nowhere near as skilled with it as I am now, but it was fun. That's when I practiced phonetic realisations in Canadian English, which was only a stone's throw away from the American English I already knew. All it took was monophthongising 50% of my diphthongs and raising my "ou"s and bam: Torontonian accent. Why? Because my English teacher hated it, whatcha gonna do about it?

A couple of years ago, my interest in the Oceanic accents grew. I already knew much more about linguistics, loved Australia, and felt the need to crank everything up to 11. I tried practicing Australian phonetic realisations, then accidentally made a pit-stop at Southern English English, and dove right into a South Australian dialect afterwards. The result was that I spoke an awkward mix between Scottish, Estuary, and South Australian, though I kinda liked it. I kinda forgot how to flap my t's in intervocalic positions like Australians usually do, and my broad a's were much more open like it would be in Scottish. Presently, those British and Scottish influences have subdued, and I can't say they are that much part of my accent anymore. I do speak a very broad variant of Australian now, with every feature of Australian present in my speech. It might annoy some, it might not, but at least I don't raise my pitch yet at the end of every sentence like it's a question? Because that's more annoying than a musquito buzzing close to your ears? I've actually fooled a lot of people who thought my accent was genuine.

As for what happened to my Dutch, it's far less interesting to talk about. I was born close to the area of Rotterdam, and never really noticed how offensively broad my accent really was until I was 10, when my family moved to Tilburg, and I was teased relentlessly for my pronunciation of the r in some positions. Given that I've lived here for 8 years now, I've taken the middle route, and I ditched my Rotterdammer accent for an ABN accent. Basically, I have the perfect voice to narrate Dutch movies.

I really love a lot of accents. The thing about them is that each is so unique, and have such interesting linguistic features that it's difficult to hate any. Some of them have very interesting grammatical features, or a kind of sound to it that rings awesome to the ears (or really funny in the case of New Zealanders pronouncing six). I just love every English accent.

Except Lancashire.

That accent can burn. :3

Years
I speak with a normal American accent, though at times I feel like I have a touch of a Southeastern American accent in me. Because I'm from Central Florida, which is a very diverse area, a Southern accent is in the minority around here, but I certainly do have the dialect of a Southern American accent.

I love British and Australian accents too! And believe it or not, I can't stand the stereotypical Canadian accent, even though most Canadians sound similar to Americans, but with some pronunciation differences.

Years
I'm Australian, and one would expect my accent to be Australian. However, mine's actually a mix of Australian and British dialect.

I always loved the typical Australian accent so I am glad to have possessed it.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
i have a sorta mix of normal north american accent with a little sprinkle of brooklyn. i mean it is only because of all the slang i use. lmao

Years
I guess I've got a normal Canadian/American accent, although outside of like the southern states, new york and Boston, I can't really tell a difference between the dialects of it.

I loooove Australian and Irish accents

Years
I have a California accent. We're kind of a mix of accents here, sometimes identical to what people in the Midwest sound like, or the East Coast, but rarely the South. Really though I sound like any given person you might hear on American TV.

And this is totally germane to the topic: an interactive dialect map of the USA.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
I have North Egyptian accent...i also know Lebanon accent,Saudi Arabian accent ...i try other accents but it doesn't come good so no problem

i love the Italian and Swedish accents it comes funny while they try to speak English...i have an Italian friend i liked that he always called Egypt "Egypto" and added the letter o to the end of most of his words ..sounds funny and nice too lol

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
I'm some sort of sloppy mix. Sometimes my accent switches from general American to Southern for a short time though. Not very many people I know at work are native to my state, and I seem to get a generous amount of foreigners at my work too.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
American accent here, specifically Midlands. Basically means that I might sound like I come from any given part of the country. There are a few words that have a bit of a hispanic tint because of the area I grew up in, but I actually ended up with a pretty different accent from others I grew up around. I like the blandness of my accent just fine, so I'm happy with the way I speak.

I also kind of like Scottish accents, not quite sure why, but I've always enjoyed the sound of them.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I live in the southern United States, but my accent is not southern sounding at all. I guess I have the typical American accent? One could say there is a slight Hispanic tint to my voice, and for good reason, because I am Hispanic, but I don't really think I do. My accent is sorta plain, lol.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Midwestern American? It's pretty boring.

Years
I have an Aussie accent, it's not like Crocodile Dundee accent (although I do a pretty good impression) more like Adam Hills.

I love Irish accents and the stereotypical British Gent' accent.
But I suppose English accents can be pretty hot when they're not being slaughtered with fecal matter.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
I got a slight southern accent... No one here notices it cause everyone has really thick ones xD but, when I get mad it comes out a lot more noticably.

<3 I love British Accents, and Australian, and French, and Southern, and Scottish XD

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm Australian, but I've been told by quite a few people that I don't really sound Australian. My accent isn't incredibly strong, and I've taken measures to remove some of the Australian traits that I find annoying out of my voice... so that's probably why lol.

The best example I can think of is generally in Australian accents, when one word ends in a vowel and the next starts with a vowel, Australians conjoin the two with an R sound to maintain the flow of speech. So for instance, if someone were to say "Pamela Anderson", it would some out "Pameleranderson". I've gotten myself out of that habit.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I... don't think I've got a particular accent lol

I grew up watching and learning English through Americans shows in Nepal so most of my pronunciations and I guess my general accent was kinda generic asian-american, but now that I've lived here in London for more than seven years I'm a cross between asian-american and asian-london, so I pronounce different things differently. Like some things I would say in an american way while others in a british way. I definitely use more Londonish dialect and sociolect however in real-life.

I don't know why but I love American accents. I find them weird and funny compared to accents here in the UK aha

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm English/German/Sioux (among many other things, because I'm a mutt) but live in the US and I've really never noticed having an accent. I speak like my family, meaning I use phrases and words that don't make sense to other people, but that's it. Unlike my relatives, I don't pronounce words incorrectly (i.e. "crik" rather than "creek", "warsh" instead of "wash",...).

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I have a Canadian (Toronto) accent. I like a lot of other accents (if they aren't too thick and I can still understand what they are saying.) Though.. I am not particularly fond of South-London accents, and sometimes NZ accents are either a hit or miss for me.

Sirfetch’d

I'm from Alabama so I have a bit of a southern accent. I don't think its overly strong though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm English so I assume I have an English accent (and have been told I do), so let's go with that!

I love Irish accents above all, they're so cute and endearing and yet carry a hint of robustness and power. I also adore Welsh accents because they've always struck me as jolly and fun, and Danish accents are amazing because they're Danish. I don't like American accents because... in all honesty they kind of annoy me haha. They sound so forced and I can never tell if they're real or not, despite whole states sharing them. Texas is the exception though, that's a fun accent. :D

Back