• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I think it would be pretty cool to add in a special held item that allows non flying/levitate Pokemon to participate in the sky battles. Not what you were asking for though. xD

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Well, while that would be cool and all, you'd be forcing the player to use an otherwise useless item, just to play the game. So I don't think it's a good idea gameplay-wise.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Well, while that would be cool and all, you'd be forcing the player to use an otherwise useless item, just to play the game. So I don't think it's a good idea gameplay-wise.

Well it could grant them the Levitate ability otherwise in the game. Much like the Air Balloon except it wouldn't pop.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I still fail to understand why these "specialty battles" appeal to anyone to begin with. The Sky Battles in X/Y were honestly pointless and felt like I was playing with a handicap more than anything else.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I still fail to understand why these "specialty battles" appeal to anyone to begin with. The Sky Battles in X/Y were honestly pointless and felt like I was playing with a handicap more than anything else.
The appeal was actually in the handicap - the constraint was supposed to bring out new ideas in the players. It wasn't really well-executed, though, since mechanically it was almost exactly the same. Had Sky Battles or related specialty battles had more interesting mechanics, perhaps the idea would've taken off more readily.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The appeal was actually in the handicap - the constraint was supposed to bring out new ideas in the players. It wasn't really well-executed, though, since mechanically it was almost exactly the same. Had Sky Battles or related specialty battles had more interesting mechanics, perhaps the idea would've taken off more readily.

What was worse about them is that despite the fact that you had to go out of your way to adequately prepare yourself for these battles, you weren't rewarded for anything other than what any trainer gives as a standard: experience and money. I say if anyone really wants to include those types of battles, ones which require limitations in team-building, it should be worth something much more. Each defeated trainer could give the player a rare item for beating them in these battles, for instance, even that would suffice.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I have a question, its been a problem that has been bothering me for a while, its regarding the types. I wanted to introduce a new type, Sound, along with fairy type to buff underused types, mainly ice and bug types and nerf types that are much deserving of it, like steel, electric, and ghost, although im planning on keeping all steel resistances before gen 6, resisting dark and ghost again. And also give water the weakness of poison. So here is the basic logistics of what I want to change:

SOUND: WEAK TO- BUG, FLYING, ICE
RESIST- SOUND, GHOST, STEEL, ELECTRIC(Most of them carry HP Ice anyways)
RESISTED BY- GRASS(needs a buff major), NORMAL, BUG, ICE(They only resist Ice)
SUPEREFFECTIVE AGAINST- ELECTRIC, STEEL, GHOST
WATER: NOW WEAK TO POISON
ROCK: NOW RESIST ROCK
ICE: NOW RESIST SOUND
BUG: RESIST PSYCHIC AND SOUND
GHOST: WEAK TO SOUND

My question is, will there be any pokemon that will become too op? And is this an appropiate debuff and buff to the types. I havent done any statistics on what becomes what but what i do know is that the following pokemon will become sound:
(I think i mispelled most of these)
Meloetta
Krickitune
Krickitot
Chimeco
Exploud
Loudred
Whismur
(Maybe Snorlax part sound changed to normal/sound)
Noivern and its preevo
Milotic(If what i believe is true conserning if its based off of "sirens" who lures sailors with her voice, guessing not)
If there is any i missed, tell me plz

Years
So, I'm creating a game that has been around for quite some time and I still don't have a name. Any ideas? My story will be similar to Gold and Silver except with Team Galactic trying to bring back Cyrus.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
So, I'm creating a game that has been around for quite some time and I still don't have a name. Any ideas? My story will be similar to Gold and Silver except with Team Galactic trying to bring back Cyrus.
I'd suggest looking at it from a story perspective - the Diamond/Pearl generation were rich with thematic components, tying strongly to myth and history(Torterra as the World Turtle, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, and Arceus being the origins of fundamental forces of the universe, etc., and Cyrus's goal of starting a new universe in his own image). Diamonds and Pearls themselves are produced through very different processes, but have a common theme in depth - diamonds forming under intense geological pressure, and pearls forming deep in the ocean inside oysters. These are observations which I can make without knowing much about your game other than its ties to the past titles. I'd suggest looking into something along the lines of Depths, Myth, or even Echoes. This also doesn't take into account the notion of tone for your game, as personally I prefer a darker tone when it comes to characters such as Cyrus, but others may prefer a more lighthearted tone, such as the campiness of Team Flare's antics.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
Just a quick design question: How should I go about re-balancing Charizard's stats?

Remember how a lot of Pokémon are mediocre or just plain not good? I do, which is why I wan't to reorganize their stats to make them better. For some Pokémon, this is an easy task, as all that is needed are a few extra base stat points. However, what should be done with the Pokémon who already have a high BST, but are still just not that great. How would they be edited without completely butchering one or more stats? Lets use Charizard as an example. Charizard is a Pokémon who already has a respectable BST, sitting at 534. How could Charizard's stats be rebalanced to make him better, without completely destroying it's other stats. Also keep in mind that I want to keep Charizard's original basis intact, so that using Charizard still feels like using Charizard and not Blissey or Alakazam. How should I re-do his stats?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
I have a question, its been a problem that has been bothering me for a while, its regarding the types. I wanted to introduce a new type, Sound, along with fairy type to buff underused types, mainly ice and bug types and nerf types that are much deserving of it, like steel, electric, and ghost, although im planning on keeping all steel resistances before gen 6, resisting dark and ghost again. And also give water the weakness of poison. So here is the basic logistics of what I want to change:

SOUND: WEAK TO- BUG, FLYING, ICE
RESIST- SOUND, GHOST, STEEL, ELECTRIC(Most of them carry HP Ice anyways)
RESISTED BY- GRASS(needs a buff major), NORMAL, BUG, ICE(They only resist Ice)
SUPEREFFECTIVE AGAINST- ELECTRIC, STEEL, GHOST
WATER: NOW WEAK TO POISON
ROCK: NOW RESIST ROCK
ICE: NOW RESIST SOUND
BUG: RESIST PSYCHIC AND SOUND
GHOST: WEAK TO SOUND

My question is, will there be any pokemon that will become too op? And is this an appropiate debuff and buff to the types. I havent done any statistics on what becomes what but what i do know is that the following pokemon will become sound:
(I think i mispelled most of these)
Meloetta
Krickitune
Krickitot
Chimeco
Exploud
Loudred
Whismur
(Maybe Snorlax part sound changed to normal/sound)
Noivern and its preevo
Milotic(If what i believe is true conserning if its based off of "sirens" who lures sailors with her voice, guessing not)
If there is any i missed, tell me plz

I've been thinking about a potential sound type, too. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I'm thinking:

Chatot could be Sound/Flying
Jigglypuff line could be Sound/Fairy
Espurr line could be Psychic/Sound
Litleo line could be Fire/Sound (roaring moves etc)
Politoed could be Water/Sound (many of its dex entries mention its cry)
Audino could be Normal/Sound
Yanma line could be Bug/Sound (sound of wings, learn bug buzz and supersonic by level up)
Pachirisu could be Electric/Sound (because sound needs more pokemon and it kinda works)
Volbeat and Illumise?
Klink line Steel/Sound (learn screech and metal sound, plus their names are onomatopoeia - bit of a stretch but eh)
Zorua line (purely because of Snarl - also a stretch)

I hadn't considered Milotic or Snorlax though. Decent ideas.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
So that would be 31 pokemon in all for sound type(If we dont count both genders of Espurr and Litleo), not bad, comsidering that most of the retypings are pokemon who not onky well fits sound typing, but also can be a good use in normal play and give the pikachu clones some love. I forgot how many fairy type pokemon were introduced, but its not alot. And i dont believe there is an "overpowered" typing for pokemon thats extremely benefical other than dark/poison, normal/ghost, water/ground(still only 1 weakness to grass), and water/sound(So milotic will only be weak to 2 types).

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I've been debating the style of backsprites to use for the longest time now, and finally decided to ask the public (perhaps this would be better as a thread, but for rght now, I only care for myself xP)

So, here are the 2 types I've debated for a while:
Gen 5 style, which is a mirror of the front sprite, but x2 the size
Gen 4 style, which is a close up, but the same dimensions as the front

It may sound unorthodox to have a gen 5 style in the Essentials default style, but here's an example of each:

test_zpsa72c00d6.png

On the one hand, I would keep true to the Gen 5 style, but I can't help but feeling it looks a bit wonky. While on the other I hate the look of most Gen 4 style pokemon, so I would work on my own. What do you guys think?

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Well, first off, there is no Gen 4 sprites for Gen 5 Pokémon, so I'd say stick to Gen 5 because of that.

AND if you are making a true "Gen 5 kit", IMO you shouldn't be swayed by personal opinion and you should stick to Gen 5 sprites to stay true to the kit, so to speak.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Well, first off, there is no Gen 4 sprites for Gen 5 Pokémon, so I'd say stick to Gen 5 because of that.

AND if you are making a true "Gen 5 kit", IMO you shouldn't be swayed by personal opinion and you should stick to Gen 5 sprites to stay true to the kit, so to speak.

Good point, but in the grand scheme of things, the work load of spriting is not an issue, I'll dedicate time to what is the best.

Also, this wasn't directed for my kit, but for my game - progress has been halted because of a drastic lack of tiles, like a lot...
That and I feel like working on my game first :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back