• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pacific Rim (2013)

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge.

So is anyone else excited over this movie? Guillermo del Toro's supposedly a really big giant robot anime and tokusatsu fan, and I think it shows in this trailer. This movie looks like it's going to be one big love letter to both genres made by the most imaginative director out there at the moment. I've been looking forward to this ever since I first heard about it and the trailer has me more excited than ever.

Years
holy jesus god.

I had heard amazing rumors about this movie for months now, and now I see why. Del Toro is amazing and this movie looks insanely cool, effects wise.

Years
A live action giant robot movie doesn't immediately sound like the easiest thing to make seem serious, but I'll give anything that Guillermo del Toro does a try.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Sounds pretty much like Neon Genesis Evangelion..but live action. Looks neat though, I guess.

Years
A live action giant robot movie doesn't immediately sound like the easiest thing to make seem serious, but I'll give anything that Guillermo del Toro does a try.

Yeah, especially given that we just endured 3 Michael Bay Transformers movies (with more on the way) I have reservations about how well it will be received by the average movie goer.

Charlie Hunnam is a plus too.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I imagine Guillermo del Toro has different ideas about editing than Michael Bay does, so this'll probably be a lot easier to follow than the Transformers series... even if it does involve the admittedly similar premise of robots battering other robots. I'm cautiously optimistic for this. There are lots of things that could go wrong, but I'm happy that something like this exists and is in such capable hands.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ehh I'm not a big fan of giant robot films, but with a good director and a lot of factors to make it unique (two pilots inside each robot controlling it at the same time is making it seem much more interesting for some reason!) from other films like this, there is still hope. I'll go into it open-mindedly if I do see it, but it's probably one of those films I'll leave 'till it's on TV haha. But considering what the film is based on the trailer didn't look too bad, so fingers crossed!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
It feels to me like a glorified Transformers movie, but with monsters. It's not that I don't like movies like this, but I don't like them. I won't break my neck to go see this as soon as it comes out, but it's a possibility. The plot seems solid, though, and the visuals/characters equally so. It might be worth it, but I'm not sure yet.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
This just looks like 2013's version of Battleship, just swapping ships, aliens and Rihanna with mechs, monsters and GlaDOS. I prefer my movies to have more substance that big mechs smashing ****, so no thank you.

Years
This just looks like 2013's version of Battleship, just swapping ships, aliens and Rihanna with mechs, monsters and GlaDOS. I prefer my movies to have more substance that big mechs smashing ****, so no thank you.

...Until you realize that this one has competent actors and a director who isn't an idiot. I have faith in Del Toro.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I saw this trailer and afterward, I gave my wife a thumbs up to tell her how bad I wanted to see it! It looks awesome, omg!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I think I may actually check this out. I'm not a big fan of these big robot battle movies but I do like Guillermo del Toro as a director. The trailer itself is actually pretty awesome and kept me interested. Also, the graphics in the film look really good to me, not cheap or fake.

Back