• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How are you dealing with spoilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I think the only thing I haven't spoiled myself to at this point is the minor plot details. While I didn't necessarily go out to look for spoilers about the game, I did willingly go to places where they might be present. I don't really mind them, though. And, if anything, they've just made me more excited about the game, haha.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I don't care

I played the BW rom before I got the game and i loved it both times on my comp and my DS

Emulators can never accurately portray what actually happens in-game effects and cut-scene wise, so nothing's been spoiled for me

Years
I honestly don't care. Heck, it's going to be revealed to me some how (believe me, the world works like that ;D) in some way and it's going to be a spoiler. You can't escape... Though I guess I do see the cons in seeing/looking at a spoiler (such as "Oh noes, the surprise has been ruined!"), to me if a key plot spoiler appears and I see it- "Oh well, meh." Unless it's about a book that I really want to read...

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
I'M EATING THEM UP. seriously I can't control myself. I really tried to avoid them, but then I saw the screenshots and stuff on Serebii and sdkflsdjf. MY RESOLVE WAS SHATTERED.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have been reading things on Serebii. I'm honestly not easily impressed, excited, or surprised about anything, so avoiding spoilers would do me no good. I am avoiding music though just because I like hearing it in the game and knowing the surroundings or the battle instead of just listening to it on YouTube. But yeah, not really avoiding any. Besides, I tried that with Black and White, and for that to have fully worked, I would have had to quit being a moderator so that I didn't have to come here and see the new Pokemon in peoples sigs and stuff. Cause you know, when you're a member, you can just leave till you have the game. If you're a mod, you have to come here lol. So it was just unavoidable.

blue

gucci
Years
I've been Away for the past 9 days without any access to the Internet so as I've found myself with heaps of updates which I'm tempted to read but haven't done so yet, I'm trying to last out until the release but eh.

Pinta77

I honestly havent seen many spoilers. I only found out about black2 and white2 because gamefly already reserves a spot on their site for it.

There is still so much I havent done on white version :/ im not ready for this.

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
I'm starting to have trouble not reading up on the game before I play it (obvious by the fact that I'm posting here now) but for the most part I've been doing a good job at not looking into the game too much.

Pika-D

<(*ΦωΦ*)>
Years
Personally, I don't mind spoilers. They make me want to see things for myself and to see if they're true. From everything I've seen for B2 and W2, I just want to buy the games even more.

Years
I usually don't mind spoilers, but this time I've tried to keep spoilers at a minimum; if I start reading something that may contain a spoiler I just stop myself.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
I havent been looking for spoilers, nor am I avoiding them, and pretty much the only one I saw was....you thought I was going to say it! Gotcha!

But seriously, only one thing has been spoiled for me, and its not really a spoiler...I still dont know anything about the story, or gyms, or even the new map really. And I havent even tried avoiding it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
When the game was first released in Japan and all of the news was on Serebii, I'll admit that I read most of it as it was coming in with a sense of glee. As weird as this is going to sound, I've never really been around the Pokemon fandom when a new series of games has come out (I joined PC after RS came out, left around the FRLG time, and came back after BW came out) so all of this talk about spoiler etiquette is a new thing for me. Having said that, after a few days of vociferously learning everything I could about the new games, I just stopped! I haven't become a spoiler hermit, but for whatever reason I don't have much of a desire to learn new stuff about the game. If someone tells me a spoiler - either by accident or on purpose - I'm not going to mind too much, but I'll probably also forget it like I have with most of the other ones that I've learned so far. Spoiling video games is a new thing with me, and I don't know how different my feelings are on it from films/TV, of which I'm vehemently against.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I've embraced myself for spoilers. Plus I don't like feeling left out, so yeah. I read the stuff on Serebii and Bulbagarden a lot. But I'm not gonna watch playthroughs or anything, I'm gonna find out that part myself.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I could care less about spoilers, really. Part of the fun is being around for the leaks and seeing all the new features & whatnot when they come out, instead of waiting 4 more months. :p
This.
I feel the exact same way, its pretty fun uncovering everything leak by leak until the releases. Then you get to see the full fledged potential of the game.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I could care less about spoilers, really. Part of the fun is being around for the leaks and seeing all the new features & whatnot when they come out, instead of waiting 4 more months. :p

I could not have wrote it better myself. Plus if I tried to resist the spoilers, there would be some sort of build up and I'd go crazy.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I'm always looking for any officially revealed new info, like corocoro scans etc. When it comes to leaks of ingame stuff, I would skim through it and focus only on anything seriously important.

I dislike the whole deal of ingame info leaking.
Because its always completely unprofessional and all presented in an awful way.
I can deal with it, its everyone else I'm worried about.

To explain what I mean, lets take gen V leaks for example.
At one point, someone ripped all the pokemon sprites and data, put every single one on a huge sheet and put that on the internet.
What followed was way too much unnecessary initial hatred towards the new pokemon. (It settled down like it always does but still was uncalled for)
The particular problem with this kind of reveal was, that the sprites looked very unaesthetic on some ugly grey and turquoise grid background, and more importantly, it was ALL of them.
You simply cannot digest hundreds of new pokemon in 2 minutes.
We are meant to encounter pokemon one by one, which actually gives you time to look at them and consider the details. Or see them in reveals that have at most a dozen of very distinct designs presented in their sugimori art (like official sources tend to do) along with some interesting stuff about them.

Its not easy with the internet lol.
I can never prevent myself from checking new pokemon designs in particular regardless of where they came from.

I remember back in times like GS or RS, where I would catch a pokemon and train it to see whether it evolves etc. That kind of discovering is impossible as it is now.

Clucknadus

Tornadus Therian Form
Years
Spoilers? I honestly have been following every detail of B2/W2 as it's become available. I know, I'm terrible about that stuff. Very impatient. I know who the champion is, I know which legendaries are obtainable and when, I know how Kyurem changes form, I even played a Japanese ROM of Black 2 through the Elite Four. The only thing I'm saving for when I buy the actual version is to play the post-game stuff. Yeah, spoilers don't bother me. However, not posting any here, not only because the OP says not to, but out of respect for those who don't want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back