• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Hey All

I asked this before but didn't get a reply.
How do I change the name's of the towns/routes/areas?

Thanks

You can edit all that in Advance Map, but use 1.92 as gogojjtech will probably say because 1.95 is glitchy and will cause you headaches.

Acronell

www.poilkjmn.info
Years
ROM Base: Ruby AXVE

I am looking for the script offset for the battle when Poochyena chases Prof. Birch.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to it, I am looking for it in order to change the pokemon from Poochyena to another pokemon.

I could have sworn I've previously asked for this (and possibly received and answer), but after being gone for a year, and scouring looking for it, I cannot find the post.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
ROM Base: Ruby AXVE

I am looking for the script offset for the battle when Poochyena chases Prof. Birch.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to it, I am looking for it in order to change the pokemon from Poochyena to another pokemon.

I could have sworn I've previously asked for this (and possibly received and answer), but after being gone for a year, and scouring looking for it, I cannot find the post.

1: Use a-map 1.92 (not 1.95) to edit the script tiles and stuff.
2: Link XSE (gamer2020's toolbox has the latest one) to A-map in the settings -> choose script editor
3: There's a research thread about it to change the Pokemon. It's a simple byte change.

Years
I am wondering if it is easily possible to have trainers Pokémon with custom abilities, like it is possible to give them custom held items and moves.

Acronell

www.poilkjmn.info
Years
1: Use a-map 1.92 (not 1.95) to edit the script tiles and stuff.
2: Link XSE (gamer2020's toolbox has the latest one) to A-map in the settings -> choose script editor
3: There's a research thread about it to change the Pokemon. It's a simple byte change.

I still have 1.92, I refused to use 1.95 when it came out because it was still being worked on.
I have gamer2020's XSE, and it's already linked.
I did manage to remember it was a byte switch, because I still have the list of pokemon bytes for the ones I was originally thinking of switching out and the poochyena byte marked on my list.

When you open the scripts that are there none of them point to the actual battle, and the byte for poochyena isn't shown in the scripts shown in the Route 101 Map.

Could I get a point to the thread you're talking about?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
One more question - are any of the unused OW palettes actually free space that I can use? If not is there any way to expand the amount of palettes?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I have a weird problem. I have not seen it anywhere else and I have no idea what causes it. Basically, moves that can be used outside of battle are invisible (can still be selected) in the Pokémon Menu. I'm positive it's not because of the de-capitalisation, because then the first letter would show (I might be wrong on this statement, the GBA is really finicky sometimes). Here's a screenshot of the issue (Dig was used, confirmed to happen with Sweet Scent and Surf too):
wftA7Eh.png

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
I've been fidling with A-Map a while now and i've come across a little problem :/ I created a house in Pallet town and a room for it. I added warps to the house door and the room door and i linked the house door to the room door. Everything is fine up until now, whenever i enter the house door it warps me indoors. The thing is, whenever i want to go outside again, instead of exiting from my custom house, i exit though the player's house... sorry for fail description but although i made a video to show it, i cant post links until 15 posts (-.-) Can someone explain what im doing wrong?

Edit: ht tp: //s1166.pho tobucke t.co m/user/GrandUxbrC/media/problem.mp4 .html
I had the same problem when i started mapping,
how to fix is you go in your pallet and then there is a box on the right side of A-Map
ther stands

To warp no
Map bank
Map

now your problem is that you didnt linked your warp to the right warp in pallet.
how to fix it is verry simple.

look at the No: of the warp in the top right of A-Map
okay then take note of that number.
Next you go to your custom house and go to the warp.
Next you want to put that nuber in the To warp no: box.
then it should work fine.

(my english can be bad)

EDIT : Shoot I see someone was before me.

Hey guys, you know how when you change something in your FireRed rom (probably also happens to other roms, but i dunno), like inserting a person, or changing a tile, anything!
When you hit start, the bottom, that part that gives you info a bout the Pokedex, Pokemon, Bag, etc.
That thing glitches.
I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it.

I have the same thing...

StaticCrystal said:
What do you mean by "glitches"? A screenshot or more information would be good~

he means this i think.

Spoiler:

Now for my own problem..

when i set a warp i did everything like i always do.
but now when i walk out the door the screen just goes black and the music keeps playing..
can anybody help me?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2018
Is there way in Firered to change a trainer's pokemon EV values? If it matters I am using JPAN's hack.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Is there way in Firered to change a trainer's pokemon EV values? If it matters I am using JPAN's hack.

I think Jambo's trainer editor has a value box for specific pokemon.

I am wondering if it is easily possible to have trainers Pokémon with custom abilities, like it is possible to give them custom held items and moves.

Held items, yes
Moves, yes
abilities, no
abilities are randomly chosen. Use Jambo's trainer editor.

I still have 1.92, I refused to use 1.95 when it came out because it was still being worked on.
I have gamer2020's XSE, and it's already linked.
I did manage to remember it was a byte switch, because I still have the list of pokemon bytes for the ones I was originally thinking of switching out and the poochyena byte marked on my list.

When you open the scripts that are there none of them point to the actual battle, and the byte for poochyena isn't shown in the scripts shown in the Route 101 Map.

Could I get a point to the thread you're talking about?

Research and development forum in the emulation forum.

One more question - are any of the unused OW palettes actually free space that I can use? If not is there any way to expand the amount of palettes?

Use Jpan's hacked engine then follow: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160

I believe A-Trainer can do this.
Not sure about abilities...

Jambo's trainer editor is more up to date. Plus A-trainer has incorrectly named boxes.

I have a weird problem. I have not seen it anywhere else and I have no idea what causes it. Basically, moves that can be used outside of battle are invisible (can still be selected) in the Pokémon Menu. I'm positive it's not because of the de-capitalisation, because then the first letter would show (I might be wrong on this statement, the GBA is really finicky sometimes). Here's a screenshot of the issue (Dig was used, confirmed to happen with Sweet Scent and Surf too):
wftA7Eh.png

My hack has this, and I'm not sure either. It goes away if you reset the game instead of using saves. So try that.

I had the same problem when i started mapping,
how to fix is you go in your pallet and then there is a box on the right side of A-Map
ther stands

To warp no
Map bank
Map

now your problem is that you didnt linked your warp to the right warp in pallet.
how to fix it is verry simple.

look at the No: of the warp in the top right of A-Map
okay then take note of that number.
Next you go to your custom house and go to the warp.
Next you want to put that nuber in the To warp no: box.
then it should work fine.

(my english can be bad)

EDIT : Shoot I see someone was before me.

I have the same thing...

he means this i think.

Spoiler:

Now for my own problem..

when i set a warp i did everything like i always do.
but now when i walk out the door the screen just goes black and the music keeps playing..
can anybody help me?

Using a-map 1.95 man. NO
This: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7781039&postcount=304

Last edited:

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
I think Jambo's trainer editor has a value box for specific pokemon.

Held items, yes
Moves, yes
abilities, no
abilities are randomly chosen. Use Jambo's trainer editor.

Research and development forum in the emulation forum.

Use Jpan's hacked engine then follow: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160

Jambo's trainer editor is more up to date. Plus A-trainer has incorrectly named boxes.

My hack has this, and I'm not sure either. It goes away if you reset the game instead of using saves. So try that.

Using a-map 1.95 man. NO
This: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7781039&postcount=304

I used A-Map 1.95 but not anymore ^^

fixed my prob

But i have a second prob..

when i change the pallete of my intro hero and i start up the game it just freezes and the screen stays white. The only thing i do is change the pallete in NSE 2.X..

help

GoGoJJTech

Years
I used A-Map 1.95 but not anymore ^^

fixed my prob

But i have a second prob..

when i change the pallete of my intro hero and i start up the game it just freezes and the screen stays white. The only thing i do is change the pallete in NSE 2.X..

help

Don't do that. Use NSE classic.
Then repoint the palette. Then make sure the offset ends in 0,4,8,C.
So 800000 is good, 900004, a0000c, etc.
Make sure all pointers are changed. And if it's supposed to be compressed, do that. Remember, overwriting is BAD, so you probably destroyed some data right after the palette. Backups should help you.

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
Years
Don't do that. Use NSE classic.
Then repoint the palette. Then make sure the offset ends in 0,4,8,C.
So 800000 is good, 900004, a0000c, etc.
Make sure all pointers are changed. And if it's supposed to be compressed, do that. Remember, overwriting is BAD, so you probably destroyed some data right after the palette. Backups should help you.

NSE Classic is for OW sprites

I mean the big hero when you choose boy

GoGoJJTech

Years
NSE Classic is for OW sprites

I mean the big hero when you choose boy

Nse classic actually edits anything. In one of the toolbars, there's an "offset" option. Then navigate to the pal offset and image offset. You can edit and import both. Plus it's not only for OWs since it has plugins for items, pokemon battle sprites, icons, and trainers.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused. :(

GoGoJJTech

Years
How exactly can I make a level script repeat every time I enter a map? I know that flags aren't used in them so I'm a bit confused. :(

Either 03, 05 or 07 types. On menu close, not no menu close, whatever.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years

What kind of level script are you talking about? If you are talking about a 03 One Entering Map script, then it will be executed every time you go into a particular map.
If you are talking about a 02 Validates Values script, then here is an explanation:
wYsSI3t.png

When you are creating the script, you do not necessarily need to set a var or a flag to tell the game that said level script has already been executed. So if you want the level script to run every time you go into said map, mark the "flag" box as a value that is not being executed anywhere else, ever. So, if you set your script's "flag" value to 4050, make sure you are not setting that value in your script, if that makes any sense. That way, the game will check if 4050 has been executed and the feedback will be "NO", so the level script will run over and over again.
Sorry if this was a bit of a terrible explanation :3 Here is a tutorial on all kinds of level scripts if you need it: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=191500

Years
Hey guys! Im really new to pokemon hacking. There's a lot of tools and resources at my disposal, and it's more complicated to start than I originally thought. My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.

My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha. So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald? And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.

I also noticed that there is a common music bug in emerald version when you try to point something to freespace. Are there any other bugs like this that I should know before I try making a hack?

And my last question. When you walk out of a town and into a route in Emerald, the routes and town are connected in one screen (you dont have to go to a door or anything to transition. The transition is unnoticable aside from the route name at the top of the screen). How would I get one side of a town to transition to a route, instead of just having the usual 2x2 block border? (If I didnt explain this correctly, let me know. Its kinda hard to explain)

Thanks in advance for your help guys! :)

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hey guys! Im really new to pokemon hacking. There's a lot of tools and resources at my disposal, and it's more complicated to start than I originally thought. My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.

My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha. So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald? And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.

I also noticed that there is a common music bug in emerald version when you try to point something to freespace. Are there any other bugs like this that I should know before I try making a hack?

And my last question. When you walk out of a town and into a route in Emerald, the routes and town are connected in one screen (you dont have to go to a door or anything to transition. The transition is unnoticable aside from the route name at the top of the screen). How would I get one side of a town to transition to a route, instead of just having the usual 2x2 block border? (If I didnt explain this correctly, let me know. Its kinda hard to explain)

Welcome good sir :3
Okay, since I have some spare time I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

My first question - what tools should I be using? I've been seeing a lot of people saying I shouldn't use Advance Map 1.95, but 1.92 instead. If thats the case, I'm already off to a bad start haha.
Before I get to what tools you should/can use, I will say: do not use Advanced Map 1.95. It is still in a beta stage (and most likely will never come out of it). 1.95 is very glitchy and can really screw with your ROM in a lot of unthinkable ways. Stick with Advanced Map 1.92, it is the latest/best version of the program out there. Also, yes, you can switch between versions. This will not effect your ROM.

Edit: Alright, I found this on LU-HO's Advanced Map page:
LU-HO...
Using AM 1.95 together with AM 1.92:
Attention: if u use extended/32Mb sized Roms, you shouldn't use AdvanceMap 1.92 anymore.
AdvanceMap 1.92 create Errors if you try to save data in extended ROM area (from Offset 1234567 it make 234567).
If you use AdvanceMap 1.95 and want to change Worldmap with AM 1.92, be very careful so you don't damage your Rom...
I'm not sure if this concerns you specifically because I'm not sure what he means by extended/32Mb sized ROMs, but I just thought I should point that little quote out~

My questions are for hacking/editing Emerald version, by the way.
You may want to rethink this. Although hacking emerald version may seem like the most logical thing to do for a new hacker, it is actually the very opposite of what you might think. Emerald is the hardest version to work with for many reasons.... If I had these reasons at my disposal, I would share them with you, but I don't. If/when I come up with a list of reasons you should not hack Emerald, I will edit this post. Also, I'm not saying hacking emerald is impossible and you shouldn't do it or anything like that, there are some really good emerald hack such as these: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183562 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292651 . I'm just trying to say that it is the least hacked version and it might be hard to get more complex features into your hack. Pokemon Fire Red is the easiest/most safe ROM to hack because of all of the tutorials and knowledge about it. Ruby is safe to hack but it can sometimes be a little more complex than Fire Red.

So, for someone who has next to no knowledge on the subject, what tools should I be looking to use while making a hack of pokemon Emerald?
From this statement, it sounds like you have never hacked before, which is totally okay. Just know this: creating a full-blown hack requires a lot of skill and knowledge about hacking, which you obviously don't have (sorry if I'm sounding like a mean guy :P). I would say practice/ play around with some tools on a ROM and see what you can make. Once you start familiarizing yourself with Advanced Map (which is the core program of hacking) and other things such as scripting in XSE, you will start to become more fluent with what looks good and what does not. Here are some handy tutorials for beginners on scripting, mapping, ect: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185188&highlight=destinedjagold

Edit: I almost left the thread without giving you some suggestion tools for starting off with :P Here are some tools you should learn how to use, as they are essential when it comes to creating a common hack: A-MAP: http://ampage.no-ip.info/index.php?seite=advancemap HACKMEW'S TOOL FACTORY: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025 XSE v1.1.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u46ni4zt283qq12/XSE.rar

And would opening a hack started in Advance Map 1.95 operate correctly if re-opened in 1.92? I haven't gotten a lot of work done, and I want to know if I need to start over before I get anything else done.
Like I said earlier, yes switching between Advanced Map versions is okay.

The best way to find bugs is to experiment with hacking the game. You'll run into tons of little glitches here and there, and it will frustrate you. Remember, you can always ask about them on this thread or try to figure them out yourself ;)

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I think you are talking about Map Connections. There are a lot of tutorials on map connections around PC. Here are some: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjGR6TbC6CA
Sorry if my answer was a bit cheap, but if you search for some tutorials on this question I'm sure you will find some :) Also I'm running out of time... :/

Your welcome and good luck~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back