• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Help Thread: Challenge FAQ / Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Challenge FAQ and Help Thread

Welcome to the Challenge FAQ! Now, what's the reason for this, you ask? Well, we get a lot of people asking us different questions about challenges a bit. And we also see a lot of challenges sent in for approval that just... aren't up to par, and very disorganized. What we're hoping to accomplish with this thread is the birth of potentially great challenges, more challengers, and a much cleaner forum to read through, for all members.

☆FAQ☆

Q: What is a challenge exactly?
A: A challenge is just a playthrough of your Pokemon game with varying restrictions and rules, such as playing through with one type of Pokemon, using random Pokemon that are assigned to you, or one Pokemon.

Q: How do I enter one?
A: Just check the thread of the challenge you'd like to enter. Make sure you understand the rules and use the correct format that the challenger would like you to use and that's all there is to it! Oh, and you know, playing the game...that's important.

Q: How do I make a challenge?
A: I'll explain the proper and preferred method in a later post.

Q: I submitted a challenge, but it's not showing up! What happened?
A: If you've made a thread for a new challenge, either the moderator hasn't gotten to approve it yet, or, in most cases, the thread doesn't comply with the rules of the section. Make sure you understand all of the Challenge forum's rules before sending in a challenge for approval. If your challenge is declined though, it will show up in the Check To See thread, and explain why it was not approved.

Q: What if someone is breaking the rules of my challenge?
A: They can be taken out of the challenge if you so wish, if it's bad enough. But if someone is being defiant in a challenge thread, please report it and the moderator will handle it accordingly.

Q: How long has this section been here? I've seen some old challenge threads in the x forum.
A: This forum has been here since June 2010, so it's possible you might find an old challenge thread lying around in another forum that didn't get moved. Please don't post in those though, or report them. They're technically in the right section, since they probably weren't active enough to make the move to the Challenge forum when it was made.

Q: What does CI&D mean and what is it for?
A: CI&D stand for Challenge Ideas and Discussion. It's basically the DCC of the challenge forum. In that thread, you can discuss new challenge ideas, your progress on a challenge, get advice for a challenge you're currently doing, etc. Just make sure you don't get too off topic!

Q: Where are the rules for this section?
A: Probably under this thread...or you can just click here...

Q: Who is/was the moderator of this forum?
A: Current overlord of Challenges is Janp. Feel free to send him any question you have about Challenges.
The first moderator of the Challenge forum was the beautiful, wonderful, handsome, egotistical Sydian. You can still contact her for any questions you have about this place, since she's the guru! But if there is any rule breaking or problem arising here, you should hit the report button on the bad posts instead.

Q: How often do events occur in this section? Will there be emblems for them?
A: They will be decided upon by the moderators. Emblems must be earned, none of that "joining just for the emblem" mess! Also, if you have an idea for an event, feel free to PM the moderators :D

Q: What are the most popular challenges?
A: Monotype, Nuzlocke, and Solo seem to be the most popular.

Q: Where is the Challenge IRC Channel?
A: There isn't one! But you can chat about Challenges while you're playing, or discuss anything about them live with other PC users, in the #pokémon channel on our Discord server!

Q: This thread owner is inactive. Can I take over the challenge?
A: You may! But first, you need to try to contact the current owner of the challenge and see if they will give up ownership. If they don't reply within three days, let a Super Moderator know. From there on, you can choose to take over the current thread (we'll help you with that if you choose this option) or we can lock the current one and you can start a new thread from scratch.

Q: Any more questions?
A: Shouldn't I be asking you that? But really, if you have any more questions, just contact Janp or the higher staff :)

FAQ updated 11.7.2017
FAQ updated 25.9.2017
FAQ updated 24.9.2018
FAQ updated 6.4.2020

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Proper (Or Preferred) Challenges

Plenty of challenges are sent in that have potential, but many are unorganized, have no set rules, don't follow the rules, etc. This post will be a guide and show an example of how a challenge should be posted.

Before you send a challenge in for approval, please make sure you've done the following things:

Check for duplicates
Please make sure you check to see if there is already a thread for that challenge! There have been many cases in which a challenge had a different name than what someone expected it to have, and thus a duplicate is sent in. Please check threads just to make sure!

Know what game(s) this is for
Decide on what games your challenge will be for. If your challenge is meant only for Gold, Silver, and Crystal, then when making the thread, please select the GSC prefix, or whichever prefix corresponds to your challenge. If your challenge is for a spin-off game, there is a prefix for that, as well as a prefix for hacks if your challenge is for a ROM hack. No matter what the hack or spin off is, please use the corresponding prefix. If your challenge covers more than what one prefix says, it is classified under the Misc. prefix. No one but the moderator or anyone else approved is allowed to use the event prefix.

Realize that you MUST participate
Make sure that in your first post, you mention that you are participating in your challenge, otherwise it will not get approved. If you want your challenge to be made, but cannot participate, post about it in the CI&D and maybe someone will adopt it and make it, and you can join it later when you have the time/free game to do so.

Spoilers
My biggest pet peeve is listing rules and explanations in spoilers. It's fine if you want to keep the first post short, but by putting spoilers, it's just tedious. Spoilers are meant to be for things that are, well, spoilers, as well as hide a list that will get long, like a challenger or champion list. But rules are something that someone wants to see off the bat. It looks much better to have the explanation and such right in front of us, rather than having to open a spoiler every time we want to go over the rules. Spoilers are fine for challenger and champion lists though, or in some cases, challenges that have a long list of questions, such as the Personality Challenge. But basic rules shouldn't have to be hidden as if they're secret.

The "preferred" style

Below are two examples of how challenges are preferred to be looked at when sent in. The moderator will not approve a challenge that has no rules, no organization, etc. It doesn't have to be the most beautiful set up, but you wouldn't believe how many challenges wait on approval that don't even have rules, or barely any rules at all. Please make sure you have rules clearly listed and explained. Remember, it doesn't have to look fancy, just at least presentable and coherent.

Myrrhman's Ultimate Solo Challenge thread:
Spoiler:

Sydian's BW Favorite Challenge V2 thread
Spoiler:

Notice there is an explanation of what the challenge is, an organized list of rules, and even a list of challengers and champions. Note that your challenge does not require a list of challengers and champions, as it can get difficult to manage. But rules are a requirement and, although not necessary for fairly simple challenges, an explanation about the challenge is nice.

The "yeah there is no way this will be approved" style

Anonymous user's thread
Spoiler:

Seem similar? This would have been avoided had the poster looked around and noticed this is very similar to, if not exactly, a Nuzlocke challenge, which already has a thread. Also, there is no set of rules (other than just releasing Pokemon, which is very vague) and not much substance to the explanation of the challenge. Not only that, but this person hasn't even signed up for it, and in fact just posts it "because others might like it," which is very much against this section's rules.

I hope that this small guide will help bring about cleaner looking challenges, and do note that from this point on, I will be a bit more strict about what I let come through. Thank you for reading! If you have anything you would like me to add that I might have missed, please message me.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Event and Emblem Archive

Green, Gold, and Booze
→ St. Patrick's Day Challenge
→ Dates run: February 28, 2011 - April 1, 2011
→ Objective: Use Green Pokemon
→ Games: Green, LeafGreen, Gold, HeartGold, Emerald, White
ggb_eventemblem.png

Lucky bby!
Grab your booze, put on some gold, and here's a green Seed bby for you. Aren't you so lucky? ;)

Save the Pokemon
→ Spring Challenge
→ Dates run: April 30 2011 - June 1, 2011
→ Objective: Max friendship/no purifying
→ Games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum, Gale of Darkness
savethepoke.png

Savior
You saved the Pokemon! Congratulations! Too bad you're broke from buying all those Ultra Balls...

Challenge Royale
→ Get Together 2011 Challenge
→ Dates run: GT8
→ Objective: Teams of two pitted against each other in speed runs
→ Games: all main series games
altariaemblem.png

Sky High
You won, but you should probably take a nap now. I'm sure you stayed up all night to finish first in Challenge Royale...congrats either way!

swabluemblem.png

A Feather Short
Almost! Just a few minutes behind your opponent in Challenge Royale, but we're all winners here, lil birdie. :]

Challoween
→ Halloween Challenge
→ Dates run: October 2011
→ Objective: Use Pokemon of a certain creepy criteria
challoweenemblem.png

I survived Challoween...
But Gary's Raticate didn't.

Syddy Claus' Challenge
→ Christmas Challenge
→ Dates run: November 26, 2011 - January 5, 2012
→ Objective: Use Pokemon of a certain wintery criteria
→ Games: Red, Green, Silver, Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, SoulSilver, and White
christmasemblem.png

High ho ho ho, Stantler!
Merry Challengemas to all, and to all a good night! ...Too corny? Spheal with it, or I'm taking your badges.

Challenge Bowl '12
→ Sports Challenge
→ Dates run: October 2012
→ Objective: Use a team of Pokemon that make up the main components of major sports
emblem.png

Halftime!
Take a break! You've certainly earned it. Thanks for playing in Challenge Bowl '12! But you only get 20 minutes. So after the bands, it's back to challenges. Go!

Stocking Stuffer Challenge
→ Christmas Challenge
→ Dates run: December 2012
→ Objective: Use your given team of three presents and three pieces of coal to beat your game of choice
→ Games: All main games
H8nIlcG.png

Stuffed!
Did you get some good presents? And some awful coal? Sounds like you participated in the Stocking Stuffer challenge!

Love in the Clouds!
→ Valentine's Day Challenge
→ Dates run: February 2013
→ Objective: Use Pokemon based on certain Valentine-themed criteria
→ Games: Gen II and onward main series games
love.png

Lovely With A Chance of Clouds
Your true love may not really be in the clouds, but at least you participated in Love in the Clouds!

21 Shiny Swablu in the Sky
→ Sydian's 21st birthday challenge + Swablu/Altaria raffle
→ Dates run: August 2013
→ Objective: Use Pokemon based on Sydian stuff
BTQcfTpCQAENdy_.png

Shine Bright Like a Swablu
See, even if you didn't win the raffle, you still get a shiny Swablu! Now just find the other 20.

Challeggs
→ Easter Challenge
→ Dates run: March 2014
→ Objective: Use eggciting Pokemon
→ Games: Gen II - VI main games
Challeggs_zps9e182eb0.png

That was challegging...
But the real challenge is making your team into eggs for Easter. Thanks for playing!

GT11 Pokemon Challenge
→ Get Together 2014 Challenge
→ Dates run: July 2014
→ Objective: Build a team with requirements in Post Game

TakingRisks_zps705cd481.jpg

Taking Risks

You took a risk and attempted something new by participating in the GT11 Pokemon Challenge! Good job!

Pioneer2_zpsc46ba75e.jpg

Challenge Pioneer

You successfully completed the GT11 Pokemon Challenge, making you one of the first to play a new type of challenge! Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back