• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
Looks great, in fairness I always wanted a map editor to be open source, unfortunately I'm not able to execute the code w/o getting an error, I already opened an issue, maybe someone can offer me some help.

Anyways, I hope this project is kept up, it would be great to have something that is able to offer the same features as AM does. Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

By the way: It would be great if you could integrate a world map editor just like AM, the problem is if you edit the world map in AM you mess up all of the catch location entries in your pokedex, I would be grateful if that could be fixed. And it would also be great to offer support for other languages.(In form of XML Files or something like that)

~SBird

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Lu-Ho had also made Door Animator and Tile Animators.
Are you going to make some too? Or perhaps implement it into MEH for easier usage.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

nobody did complain
nobody did complain

Nooooooooo, of course not, who would ever say something bad about a-map?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I got some ideas

-Have a tooltip that displays the block number of the block you have the cursor on. Maybe even display the X, Y co-oords too. Makes it easier than looking down at the bottom of screen like you had to do in A-map. I also noticed the current tile thing. That is a better spot than the bottom for sure. =P

-Maybe have annotations that you can edit on the map list like this...
Spoiler:

Note taken. I actually have similar plans with tilesets, because the thing about tilesets is that the whole numbering system that AdvanceMap had was a complete lie. Tilesets are actually pointers, and nothing else. So there will likely be a "Tileset Registry" where you can see all the tilesets currently used by the loaded maps and name them accordingly. I'll also probably throw in the ability to add tilesets while I'm at it.

Just remembered something I would like to see in MEH. It would be helpful if, in the "Wild Pokemon" section, you put the percentage that the Pokemon spawn so I know exactly how rare a Pokemon is going to be. I know this feature was in an earlier version of A-Map, but it's not in the newer versions which is really a bummer.

I agree, those things were quite useful. Which is why I implemented them when I made the wild pokemon editor just yesterday.

Looks great, in fairness I always wanted a map editor to be open source, unfortunately I'm not able to execute the code w/o getting an error, I already opened an issue, maybe someone can offer me some help.

Anyways, I hope this project is kept up, it would be great to have something that is able to offer the same features as AM does. Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

By the way: It would be great if you could integrate a world map editor just like AM, the problem is if you edit the world map in AM you mess up all of the catch location entries in your pokedex, I would be grateful if that could be fixed. And it would also be great to offer support for other languages.(In form of XML Files or something like that)

~SBird

Thanks, I took note of the issue and I'll see about that. It's strange because interdpth had the same problem, so I might have forgot to push something. As for AdvanceMap, it wasn't all that bad of a map editor. The problem was the fact that it was universally controlled by one person, and there was no way for any additional features to enter it without them going past him. The other problem is sloppy coding which caused slower load times (an example of this is that instead of just putting a pointer to the wild data table it searches the entire ROM for a byte pattern) and for the famous Emerald sound corruption bug (which was due to A-Map assuming the wrong freespace address for both Fire Red and Emerald).

As for the worldmap editor, I believe interdpth had something cooking but never finished it. I'll have to steal that code from him and get something working out of it. It's rather impressive what he has so far. It can load the worldmap graphics straight from the ROM on Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald.

Lu-Ho had also made Door Animator and Tile Animators.
Are you going to make some too? Or perhaps implement it into MEH for easier usage.

Animations are among the things that I'd like to do in MEH. My initial plans were to read the animations and have them update in livetime inside the map editor (ie the water will animate in the map editor and block viewer). However the idea was quickly scrapped after I found out that the animations use ASM that would be near impossible to read without some potentially harmful code. I do at least have a plan, and currently it's this: Make up a piece of ASM that will redo the in-game animations to a more friendly format, ie an animation table, then add something to the tool that will convert existing animations to this new format. Then just make an animation editor and we're done.

With all that out of the way, time for a slight status update. So yesterday I was working on MEH, and I managed to finish the Wild Pokemon Editor. Currently all it's missing is the overall encounter ratio (which will be added shortly) and repointing support.
Screenshotfrom2014-01-01181907_zps98a8f713.png

In case anyone is curious, the big thing with repointing is the ability to add and remove things. As of now, the only things in MEH that support repointing is the map editor and the connections editor. So with the map editor you can resize maps just fine and you can add connections without a hitch. With other things like events and pokemon, the only thing you can do is edit existing data, which is obviously not optimal. Fear not though, repointing support will come in due time.

Also I should note that this wild pokemon editor is completely compatible with karatekid's 649 patch. There is a setting in the INI file that can change the number of Pokemon names loaded into memory.

That aside, I also have plans to include either Jambo51's Day/Night pokemon hack or I'll devise one of my own. Either way, you'll be able to edit which Pokemon appear in the daytime and at night, thus making D/N systems a LOT more useful than just aesthetics.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Question about the tool repointing stuff.
Will the tool repoint automatically or will we have an option to manually put free space of our choice?
And also, will it check the offset if it's free before it repoints?
Advance Map is annoying with its repointing, since it has chances of overwriting not-free space, hence ruining a number of my repointed maps. =/

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Question about the tool repointing stuff.
Will the tool repoint automatically or will we have an option to manually put free space of our choice?
And also, will it check the offset if it's free before it repoints?
Advance Map is annoying with its repointing, since it has chances of overwriting not-free space, hence ruining a number of my repointed maps. =/
For specifying the freespace yourself, it might be a bit tricky because MEH actually works with a lot of data, so you'd be inputting to like 5-10 different boxes asking where to put the new data. Luckily the freespace finding algorithm put in place works just fine and only inserts at safe freespace towards the end of the ROM. As for the repointing process itself, currently the repointing system works like this:

Every piece of data loaded is always saved back in the same fashion as before. For map data, there is a function for resizing the map. In this function all the internal arrays of tiles are increased to accomadate this size. At the same time, it calculates the new size of the map and checks if it's larger. If it is, it searches for freespace by looking for a stream of X 0xFF bytes, where X is the new data size. This freespace offset is recorded and saved.

If the new data size is smaller, it saves to the same spot as before. I plan on making a setting called "Always Repoint" where you can configure this to, instead of writing to the same spot and creating fragmentation, have it look for a new nest of freespace to sammich itself into.

Now the neat thing about MEH is that instead of reading and writing directly to the file like A-Map (which was a great source of pain since you couldn't use HxD while it was open), it double-buffers the ROM into the RAM and works off of that. One buffer is for the current map loaded, and the other is for the ROM itself, hence the reason for the two buttons on the top to safe: One saves to the virtual ROM all the changes to the map, and the other saves both the map and to the actual file.

Wendle

Not So Standard Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2018
I'm liking the connections tab allot, having had a little play and knowing this is open source i think i'll keep a close eye on this project.
Wierd request, Can you add map zoom in and zoom out? it was always a pet peeve when i created maps in AM.

Please keep at it.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I'm liking the connections tab allot, having had a little play and knowing this is open source i think i'll keep a close eye on this project.
Wierd request, Can you add map zoom in and zoom out? it was always a pet peeve when i created maps in AM.

Please keep at it.

I actually added zoom in the commections editor (Ctrl+Scroll) so it's definately viable. I'll take note of that and see if I can get it in.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
As for the worldmap editor, I believe interdpth had something cooking but never finished it. I'll have to steal that code from him and get something working out of it. It's rather impressive what he has so far. It can load the worldmap graphics straight from the ROM on Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald.

Yeah, I'm gonna finish it. lol It's on my git.

Years
Yay! So glad i found another Map editor, i mean, im fine with A-Map, but i definitely want to try this one, once its in a suitable version for hacking, i love the revolutionary connection editor thingy!

and oh, love the name, MEH xD

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Feb 4, 2015
This really is better than Advance Map! (in my opinion at least) Very well done and easier to use. I'm looking forward to the wild pokemon editor is finished!

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
Years
If you would be so kind to add a undo button, it would be tremendously appreciated! That is if you already have not. This is looking very promising and hope to see this progress further!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
If you would be so kind to add a undo button, it would be tremendously appreciated! That is if you already have not. This is looking very promising and hope to see this progress further!

I have never really seen a map editor in my entire life that has an 'undo' function.

It would actually have to work by capturing each map, every time some adjustment has been made to the map, then clicking that button would bring it back to that stage. It would be a very interesting function to have in MEH.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
This is looking pretty hot so far. Here's hoping that this, when it's finished, ousts AdvanceMap 100%.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2019
Just a request.
Maybe you could make a tile(set) editior, so we don't have to start Paint or whatever to edit our tiles and make it able to insert this immediately. Would be an awesome feature.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
This looks adoreable!
As many suggested above, a undo and redo button would be one of the most important
things in a map-editor, which I missed so much in AdvanceMap :)

Back