• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Stance on bumping a thread with no replies?

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
With regard to the rules, since nothing appears to address the matter namely.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

In my opinion, if the thread has no replies after a given amount of time it obviously isn't a good enough thread to warrant any discussion, so I don't see how bumping it would help that, tbh.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
A thread with no replies is still treated as any other thread would be, and is subject to the same bumping rules unless the section housing the thread specifically allows bumping.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
^ Although to be honest, if a thread has no replies after a whole month... maybe it's not something people are interested in/worth talking about.

Years
Well, not necessarily. It just means everybody has talked about it already. When someone makes a new thread similar to it in... 4 months then everybody will respond again.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, not necessarily. It just means everybody has talked about it already. When someone makes a new thread similar to it in... 4 months then everybody will respond again.
Not from what I've seen, and definitely not with 4 months. If a thread ends up getting no replies, it's usually because people either aren't interested in the topic, it drowns in a bunch of popular and super active thread, or if it requires a lot of thought. Remade topics usually do pretty well from what I've seen, because it's an easy +1 to the post count for people who've already answered it, and there's always gonna be someone who hadn't replied to the previous thread anyways :p

An idea could perhaps be for the moderators of the section to bump the thread at the request of whoever made the thread, since mods are able to bump threads without having to leave the bump post (even though most mods probably don't know about that :p) This would only work if the thread has received no replies though, and I rarely ever see that, so I think it'd be just a bit redundant.

Years
That's my experience from different forums but I guess that doesn't really apply here. A lot of other forums don't really mind "necroposting" either, but it is still a bit frowned upon sometimes.

Melody

Banned
Years
I've always thought bumping was generally frowned upon unless it's explicitly allowed in the section rules. There are three main rules that have always existed in tandem to discourage bumping and that's the "No Double Posting" rule, the 4 word/25 character rule, and the Thread Cutoff rule that mandates a thread be remade if it's gone more than than 30 days/1 month without a reply. If you're replying to someone before the cut off, you're not really bumping the thread for the sake of bumping it; you're just replying normally.

Bumping implies breaking at least two of those three rules usually. So by default yes, bumping is not allowed unless the section rules otherwise allow it, and usually they specify when and how it is acceptable to bump your thread, and how many times you're allowed to do so.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I've always thought bumping was generally frowned upon unless it's explicitly allowed in the section rules. There are three main rules that have always existed in tandem to discourage bumping and that's the "No Double Posting" rule, the 4 word/25 character rule, and the Thread Cutoff rule that mandates a thread be remade if it's gone more than than 30 days/1 month without a reply. If you're replying to someone before the cut off, you're not really bumping the thread for the sake of bumping it; you're just replying normally.

Bumping implies breaking at least two of those three rules usually. So by default yes, bumping is not allowed unless the section rules otherwise allow it, and usually they specify when and how it is acceptable to bump your thread, and how many times you're allowed to do so.
I figured it might come under the realm of 'acceptable exception'.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
How do you arrive at that conclusion?
Threads like... well I won't find it but it was about the charlimit and the last thing said was that a post breaking the rule but still constructive enough to stay around can be left be at the discretion of the moderator. By the same token, there may be other such 'particular cases'. Since I don't see what could go wrong with bumping a replyless thread, I thought it might be such a case.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
If you want to change a rule in a particular forum, talk to the mod of that forum. They have almost total control of that forum with regards to the rules and whatnot. If they'd like to allow threads with no replies to be bumped (or regular thread bumping for that matter!!), you can ask them to permit it in their forum.

Back