• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
Years
I always choose the grass-types, so Bulbasaur was obvious for me, but in the RSE series, I chose Mudkip. Just liked him better! But yeah, in every other game, it's been grass-types!

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
Ruby: Torchic. Fire-types are <3
Emerald: Treecko. Love that grass starter.

LeafGreen:
Charmander. :]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Emerald: Torchic
LeafGreen: Charmander

I use them all now...well, actually I haven't used a Squirtle yet....I might do that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Sapphire: Mudkip (I reaaaally don't know why... It's probably my least favorite of the Gen 3 starters =/)

LeafGreen: Squirtle (Oh, I adore Squirtle. My favorite of aaall the starters :3)

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
When I first played Ruby, I chose Swampert as my starter because all of the other ones seemed weak to me at the time (I was a young age, so...). He actually turned out to be really good, and I grinded him up to Lv.100 by the time I got to Steven.

In LeafGreen, a couple months after beating Ruby, I chose Bulbasaur because it was like my favorite Pokemon at the time. I grinded him up to Lv.100 once more, but even then I couldn't beat the Elite Four... >_<

Wehn I got my hands on Sapphire, I was a bit smarter. I chose Torchic this time for a fresh experience, and did well.

Then I got FireRed. I hated how I could not beat the E4 in LeafGreen, so my instict told me to go for Squirtle because of how well Swampert had done. Good choice for me. I beat the game with him and an Articuno.

And of course, I finally got Emerald. Looking for a new and fresh experience, I chose Treeko. Bad choice. I was stuck on Flannery for a while and I'm still trying to beat Steven. Oh well.

Overall, water starters sit well with me.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2011
Treecko in my first play of Sapphire. But i hated when he evolved to Sceptile, he is so... horrible ):

icycatelf

Alex
Years
In Ruby and Emerald, I chose Treecko. In Sapphire, I think I had chosen Mudkip. On FireRed, I chose Charmander. On LeafGreen, I chose Squirtle.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
Years
In Ruby I chose Torchic, in Emerald I chose Mudkip, in Sapphire I chose Treecko. In FireRed I chose Charmander, in Leaf Green I chose Squirtle.

Ernest

PokeMonRuleZ
Years
Definitely Charmender, it's the best choice because flame is cooler than leaf or water. LOL. Although it's hard to battle with Brock, I think once you strength up Charmender, you can win the match. Besides that, once it involves into Charlizard, it could be the best in your pocket.

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2010
Pokemon Ruby or Emerald= Usually Torchic

Pokemon Fire Red = Either Squirtle or Charmander
Now, I know Bulbasaur has the type advantage against Brock and Misty...but
1. I am not very fond of grass types and
2. I think it's pretty freaking pathetic that vine whip...a staple grass type move...only has 10 PP, while Ember and Water Gun have 25 PP

Years
  • Seen yesterday
The first time I played Ruby, I chose Torchic....overall he's my favorite of the three. I can't remember who I chose for my first playthrough of LG, but in my most recent one I chose Squirtle. And in FR, I chose Charmander.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
For me it was Bulbasaur and Mudkip :3

Kind of related, it made me laugh.. i have never ever chosen Charmander in any of my playthroughs, so i named a Chiptune song i composed ( uses the Pokemon intro melody ) after it. ( Called 'I never Chose Charmander' )

Useless info, i know... but the song's on my Youtube channel (link in sig).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
FireRed: Squirtle, because it makes going through the game alot easier.
Emerald: Treecko for its smugness.

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
Years
images

(Memes had nothing to do with this I swear)

Swampert is inarguably one of the best fully evolved starters. So yeah. Mudkip FTW.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2010
Blaziken and Blastoise.

Blastoise is one of my all time favorites

Blaziken....well I hate the other two more >: (

Last edited:
Back