• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

WPC #25 - POLL

Which entry do you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Weekly Pixel Art Challenge: #25 - POLL
Hosted by: Logiedan
Theme: Generation VI - Eeveelutions

Voting Rules:

• One vote per person
  • You may not vote for yourself
  • You can post which one you voted for and why
  • Critique is really appreciated to help those who struggled in votes!

This Week's Rules:

• Canvas Size: 96x96
  • Palette Requirements: 24 colours max.
  • Transparency: Optional (WILL NOT COUNT AS A COLOUR)
  • Animation: None
  • Other: N/A
List of contestants:
NOTE: This is in no particular order or related to the order of entries below.

IceyPinkLemons, Fenneking, Chesu, blackmoonflower, Retribution, kinataki, Inferna

Entries:

1. Minareon (Min-air-ee-on)
359l9w3.png

Type: Ground
Its long tail acts as a metal detector and can easily discover gems. It burrows underground with its mighty claws.

2. Inviseon (In-viz-ee-on)
345irlt.png

Type: Ghost
Evolution Method: Faint an Eevee in the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town

3. Lepideon (Leh-pid-ee-on)
2uieq69.png

Type: Bug

4. Necteon (Nek-tee-on)
necteon.png

Type: Bug

5. Wyvereon (Why-vur-ee-on)
Wyrmeon-1.png

Type: Dragon
Evolution Method: Evolve Eevee on top of Dragon Peak, a mystical mountain of dragons.
Its wings are not capable of allowing it flight. The feelers on its nose are used to sense wind direction though.

6. Wispeon (Wis-pee-on)
4jtcht.jpg

7. Ghasteon (Gas-tee-on)
Ghasteon_zps8fb88167.png

---
If I forgot any details or did something wrong to your entries, please PM me. Anything to say about the format for WPC and the polls can be discussed in the Pixel Art General Discussion thread.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'll have to vote for Minareon.

The reason is, it's pixelled to almost perfection, and it resembles Eevee the most. The claws and colour style helps it a lot too. Clean outline, nice shading and good ground effect are included. It's pose might not be so good, but it's likeable, nonetheless.

Which came close is Necteon. It looks like a ★. But the thing that put me off is that it doesn't resemble Eevee at all.

I had to choose carefully between Wyvereon and Minareon. But then I chose Minareon since it was pixelly suiting to me.

Tackle

Pancham
Years
I voted for Wispeon, because the sprite looks very clean and its colors are cool. =)
Also Ghost type is one of my favorite type lol.

I'm going to vote for Ghasteon first, but I think Wispeon is cooler lol.

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
i accidently voted myself :@

i guess there is no unvote so you can delete my vote after the results

(lol im really sorry for that)

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
Years
I voted for Wyverneon, I like the pose and the colours go well together. It doesn't look to dragony but still looks like an Eeveelution. I liked Ghasteon and Minareon too :3

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I'm surprised that none of the entries really look like an existing Eeveelution. I was expecting most of the sprites to be in a stock quadruped pose, but these are all pretty creative. While Necteon is probably the most original, the pose and design prevent it from really being recognized as an evolution of Eevee, and the colors are a bit too pale. On the plus side, the line art and shading are near-perfect, in general.

Minareon has a similar issue, though it's more about the shading. The highlight shades just kind of blend in with the main color, making the shading look a little too soft. More importantly, there's very little black in the outline, making it look... Indistinct, I suppose. What I do like is the front legs, which are shaped/positioned exactly how this type of burrowing creature's would be. The claws could be a little sharper, though.

Another sprite lacking black in the outline is Wyvereon, which is a problem with the bright green used on the outline in some places. Unfortunately, the one place with a good deal of black is the whiskers, which makes them stand out and look more solid than the rest of the sprite. The biggest issue is probably the shading, specifically the amount of contrast. The bright green used to shade is barely darker than the bright green used as a base color, resulting in a sprite that's a little hard to look at. That being said, I voted for this entry because the design itself is interesting, and it's in a dynamic pose.

Inviseon is an interesting concept in that it literally resembles a Pokemon-style ghost, kind of like Gastly, but the execution isn't fantastic. The biggest problem is... Well, it's big. While the canvas size is 96x96, you don't have to use it all to properly convey your idea. It's also a bit lacking in the style department; if the artist who drew this is interested in spriting and would like to continue, I recommend getting a little more hands-on time with official Pokemon sprites, to learn how they're designed. I've written a tutorial on playing around with Pokemon sprites to create original designs, so that would be a good place to start.

Like a few of the other entries, Wispeon's contrast is a bit low, and it could benefit from deeper shading. Its design is interesting, but the one glaring issue is that it's not very Eevee-like. If you were to tell someone it's a Ghost-type Eevee, they'd say, "Oh, okay", but if you just showed it to them, they'd say, "That's one creepy-lookin' ghost thing". It's in an interesting pose, however, and the overall design isn't bad.

I'm not sure what to think about Lepideon. The choice of colors work well together, and the shading is fine, but I'm finding it hard to like the overall design. It doesn't really look much like a bug, and while I'm happy to see an entry with a thing-around-the-neck similar to the original Eeveelutions, I can't really tell what that thing is supposed to resemble. I also can't help but feel that the head is a little too big and the legs are a little too long for the size of the body, especially considering that bugs typically have smaller heads and keep low to the ground. Despite all that, of all the entries this one looks the most like an evolution of Eevee.

Finally, we come to Ghasteon, probably the best-drawn and most consistent with the Pokemon style here. The design and color choices are great, though the lack of shading makes it look a little flat in places (most notably the left-front leg). Exacerbating this is the bandages, which look flat and drawn-on rather than actually being there pretty much everywhere but the head. Speaking of the head, we come to the reason that I didn't vote for this entry; between the elongated snout, ears that point straight up, and the mane and tail made of smokey gray ghosty stuff, it looks like a pony. I know that the snout is only shaped like that so that the bandages could wrap around the way they do, and that the ears would have looked like perfectly normal Eevee-esque ears otherwise, but I just can't stop seeing it; that's an undead pony. That's the younger brother of Nightsteed from Neopets.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
In my opinion these really push the boundaries of what could even be considered an evolution of Eevee. While they're all creative and original, I cannot really imagine Eevee evolving into any of them. Minareon looks like it would have difficulty travelling, I don't really like the idea of the tail going through the ground. Inviseon seems much too different from an Eevee evolution, but it definitely has the most creative evolution (huge fan of that). Necteon is a wonderful idea, however again looks way too much like it's own line of species. The rest are much closer to looking like an Eevee evolution, however they're just a little bit too complex or not Pokelike.

But I do say that they are all very creative and interesting :)

Years
I decided to vote for entry number 4, or Necteon as it was so cleverly named. c: I really liked the way they incorporated the fact that bugs look like they have small appendages into the design, and in turn made the wings look like muscular masses of arms that might scare off a predator like a real butterfly. The way the face fits to an Eevee-lution also helped with that. I liked the colors, it and it looks a lot more unique than most Eevee bug types which retain the quadruped look.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I really like Wispeon, especially the attention to detail. For instance I like it's facial markings and how eerie it looks haha. xD It captured the ghost type well and, while it may not look strictly like an Eeveelution, I can see some elements reminiscent of them (for instance, the front legs) and I believe it looks good enough to win regardless. :) Plus, I really like the palette used which is always a plus. xD The others are all really good too and I wish everyone the best of luck. ^^

Years
Minerveon is really great. The main concern I have with it is the nose; a small simple nose would have reinforced the fact that it is an eeveelution. Overall though, the design and execution are stunning enough to get my vote :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back