• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Possible leak on 2chan/reddit of starter evos

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
There are a lot of Non-Psychic Pokemon that learn Psychic. Like Vulpix... (fennekin is still awesome though)

Also, The Double Type Triangle is Actually very clever. In most games, one starter has an advantage over the other, at least in the early-mid game. In this Type combonation:

Chespin has a super-effective attack against Frokie (grass) and a super-effective attack against Fennekin (dark).

Fennekin has a super-effective attack against Chespin (fire) and a super-effective attack against Frokie (psychic)

Instead of one beating the other, they each have an attack to check the other two - BUT only if you understand the Type-Effectiveness Chart. Which a 10 year old has not memorized like we have.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Instead of one beating the other, they each have an attack to check the other two - BUT only if you understand the Type-Effectiveness Chart. Which a 10 year old has not memorized like we have.
You'd be surprised with the wealth of information about Pokémon that a 10 year old could possess.

That said, I still haven't memorized the chart.

Cyclone

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
Years
2chan is hit and miss when it comes to rumors, but given that it's only been eight days since the announcement, I believe that is "leak" is fake. Boarbeque said that if this information was real, it would be coming out soon, and I'm pretty sure Game Freak would not release this much information about a game this early.

If I'm wrong and this does turn out to be true, I'd be very surprised, but excited because I'd love to have more information about the new Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Just want to point out that Gamefreak hasn't been doing the leaking so far. Games were announced by Nintendo and names of the legends as well as starters' type confirmation was done by TPC. CoroCoro still hasn't leaked, but I'm not sure if that is a Gamefreak leak or TPC leak.

All we really have to do is watch for pokemon.com updates as that seems to be the main way they plan on releasing thier information. Until then everything shown throw outside media, like 2ch, is rumor and nothing more. I personally think that this info is false, mostly because of the amount of info the "leak" allegedly has.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Like I pretty much said in an earlier post about the rumor of the starter evolutions, there are many factors that actually prove that it's false. And I can pretty much repeat myself about this once more. So lemme point out some stuff that I feel is the reason why I believe the rumor is false:

1. The name "Fernox" is already trademarked by the company Fernox Water Treatment, which is... pretty much self explanatory, not trademarked by Nintendo or any second party developer of Nintendo at all. Because the trademark "Fernox" is already taken, Nintendo cannot use it.
  2. Information about starters evolutions usually don't get revealed until at a much later date, like say around... two months before it's launch day. :P
  3. I'm pretty sure this information came from 4chan, not 2ch. And always... 4chan is an image board where lots of rumors come from that are then later proved false. While on the other hand, 2ch is a website where many information from people that work at Nintendo get leaked. When I tried searching for the Pokémon names in that rumor, I came up with a "4chan" website result in second place in the search results page on Google.

I feel that Game Freak and the official Pokémon website will prove this rumor false, and I'm quite positive that the rumor will be proven false.

If the rumor really is false, whoever did start this rumor must've been coming up with names based off other companies. xD

It kind of makes me wonder if it's started by the same person that started the rumors about Pokémon Rainbow? :P

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
That's not proof at all.

1. iPhone was patented by Cisco before Apple created it. It's not impossible to work those things out. Nintendo can use whatever name they please, trust me. And it's irrelevant anyway because its not the name of any product, it's just the name of one character within the game. You can name a character anything you want.

2. There is usually a third game instead of 2 sequels. Pokemon is usually teased only in Japan and released much later in the US. TPC/Gamefreak are breaking lots of patterns lately, so this doesn't prove anything either.

3. Irrelevant. It could easily still be true. And I'm sure it originally was posted on 2ch.

You could be right, and you probably are, but nothing you said proves it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
That's not proof at all.

1. iPhone was patented by Cisco before Apple created it. It's not impossible to work those things out. Nintendo can use whatever name they please, trust me. And it's irrelevant anyway because its not the name of any product, it's just the name of one character within the game. You can name a character anything you want.

Well, not really. The way it works, is that all pokemon's names are trademarked, becuase otherwise people may make misleading products not made by them (e.g. Rattata water). However, when a company already got said trademark, it can be bought from them. Now here's the big difference: Apple could buy the trademark of "Iphone" from Cisco because they didnt yet make it and maybe never were going to. But if Fernox is the name of a company, i dont think they would sell the name for such a low price. And so I think GF would rather change the name than spending a lot of money over it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Well, not really. The way it works, is that all pokemon's names are trademarked, becuase otherwise people may make misleading products not made by them (e.g. Rattata water). However, when a company already got said trademark, it can be bought from them. Now here's the big difference: Apple could buy the trademark of "Iphone" from Cisco because they didnt yet make it and maybe never were going to. But if Fernox is the name of a company, i dont think they would sell the name for such a low price. And so I think GF would rather change the name than spending a lot of money over it.

Ok ok, but even if I agree to this and surmise that Nintendo can not legally use the name Fernox (and I still don't believe that would be the case,) this is supposed to be a leak. That means the information could be changed before it is officially released. These could be names that they are using for now, but that they may change by the time they release information. It still doesn't completely disprove the leak.

I'm not even putting that much stock into this leak as I'm very skeptical of how amazingly awesome it is, but I just don't believe it can be completely disproven at this point.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If I remember correctly, pantents can expire and be sold. Trade marks, copyrights, and all rights reserved marks have to lose the parent's ownership before they can be picked up. As in the person holding the rights has to forefit the rights or do something that breaks reserved rules. I think there is a way to "pass" those three through court appeals if both parties agree.

Its been a few years since I've had anything to do with that field of business. But if there is a trade marked name, depending on protection they got when the trademark was set, the name cannot be used.

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2022
Wait a minute if names are trademarked and can't be used why does this exist.
images

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Abra is Trade Marked to TPC/Pokemon/Nintendo.

Abra Auto is trade marked to Abra Auto. They are different trademarked labels with the second as a longer name.

(Doing research)

So if Fernox Water Trade Marked just Fernox, Pokemon cannot use it. From what I've seen after a few quick searches, "Fernox" by itself it trademarked already.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Can someone tell me if Cyclone is trademarked? I think I want to claim money for use of my nickname on local newscasts whenever a storm of my name breaks out.

Yes, the above is a joke post, but therein also lies a point: a name is a name. If a species were to be called Fernox, that is in fact the Pokémon's name as well. The complication is that it would be used to make GF/Nintendo money, which is the only thing at issue. The name would make the same amount of money (I think) whether it was Fernox or Fernicate, so the name - in the end - really makes no change to anything other than having to type another three letters every time. Thus, I'd almost say that using the Fernox name would actually improve the other company's name, not take away anything from any copyright. (Hey, they could set up a Fernox plushie and say they inspired the name of a starter Pokémon evolution, after all.)

Cyclone

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I usually never prefer to play psychic types(like ash lol)

it would be better that its again fire/fight, or just be it pure fire, i wont care much, cuz psychic type sucks..!

A matter of opinion. Personally, I would rather have a fire/psychic over a fourth fire/fighting.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
Trademarks tend to not function as effectively between industries and mediums - for example it would be impossible to create a fast food company called 'McDonalds Fast Food' because it's in the same industry as (the obvious) McDonalds, whereas you would likely be able to create a clothing company called 'McDonalds', as it's unlikely to be misleading.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Trademarks tend to not function as effectively between industries and mediums - for example it would be impossible to create a fast food company called 'McDonalds Fast Food' because it's in the same industry as (the obvious) McDonalds, whereas you would likely be able to create a clothing company called 'McDonalds', as it's unlikely to be misleading.
Just to support this discussion for a moment, there was actually a restaurant owned by someone with the last name "McDonald" who called his restaurant "McDonald's". He got sued by the fast food chain for using his own name on his own restaurant.

It will be interesting to see if Fennox is used.

Cyclone

Back