• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forever the Pikachu Race

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I always figured Truant would just make him a boring one to use haha. What kind of moves do you guys give him for an in-game team to keep it interesting?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I like Slaking just because I can. I don't use it in the games despite it high attack stat, but Traunt is just ridiculous. Slaking is very relaxed, so that's why I like it. It was also a sloth before they were cool :P
As far as I know there's a way to get around Truant by using Cofagrigus and it's Mummy ability. That's a method people use in competetive play at least.

Years

The one time Cofagrigus is useful for anything that doesn't involve him being a complete wall.

For movesets, my HG singleplayer Slaking has Rock Climb, Shadow Claw, Earthquake and Hammer Arm. Rock Climb is an HM and I like it because of the confusion chance, Shadow Claw is mandatory for ghosting, Earthquake is... just VERY POWERFUL and Hammer Arm is dat coverage.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I believe back in R/S/E before the Physical/Special split Hyper Beam was a very good move for Slaking because of high attack + STAB + it'll be recharging on the turn its loafing around anyways.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

Ahah, did anyone actually use Cofagrigus on a team with Slaking to get the effects to collide like that?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Giga Impact would be the replacement since Hyper Beam is special now.

I haven't use a Cofagrigus or a Slaking so no I haven't. But it's the easiest way (in single battle) to get an ability off of any Pokemon with a crappy one like Regigigas, Archeops, etc. In Double battles there is that and there is also Skill Swap (which I think was the primary way before Cofagrigus and the Mummy ability).

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years

Little did I know that Traunt was spelled Truant...

I haven't been keeping up with abilities after gen. 3 haha
I always hope for ones like Static, Poison Point, Cute Charm, etc. that can cause status conditions, or Keen Eye, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, etc. that prevent stat reduction.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

Oh wow that's really cool, I didn't know they'd put so much thought into teams like that - especially in spin-off games. I wish they'd do that in the main games for gym leaders/E4, they get boring being so rubbish with their Pokémon :p

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Oh wow that's really cool, I didn't know they'd put so much thought into teams like that - especially in spin-off games. I wish they'd do that in the main games for gym leaders/E4, they get boring being so rubbish with their Pokémon :p
I don't think they'll change it in the future. It rather seems like they will make things even easier, because of casualization and stuff.

And even if they'd change something I hope it's the trainers that still use unevolved Pokemon. That's one thing that's annoying me quite some time. I mean imagine: you beat the Pokemon League and now you're out to do some postgame and the first person you encounter is a trainer with a Lv. 62 Magikarp.
Also this applys to trainers before the Pokemon League, too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

In Colo, there's a battle where the enemy opens with Slowking and Slaking, first thing Slowking does is Skill Swap Slaking.

That was actually what I was thinking about when I brought up Skill Swap since I finished watching Chuggaa's let's play of Colo just the other day haha.

I like them too and they can be put to good use while EV Training since it's easy speed EVs. But on the other hand I like them earlier in the game and not later in the game where their Magikarps are level 64.

And Youngster Joey. We must always have our Youngster Joey and his counterparts or whatever.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I think you skipped one! I don't mind the trainers that use awful Pokémon, I just wish they wouldn't use them awfully. It's no fun when a trainer could do well against you and give you a challenge but then decide to splash around and growl at you.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

No I was counting off the quote instead of the post above don't assume gosh. :(

haha anyways I think the AI got a little better in fifth generation. We'll just see how they do sixth generation.

Years

Well, there's still Winona's AI in R/S/E. Boy is that thing advanced. I think she uses better AI than the Elite Four actually. (that doesn't prevent her from getting swept by a castform but still.) If you don't have anything that can deal with her easily, she's going to be a problem.

I mean come on, she SWITCHES. WHICH IN GAME TRAINER SWITCHES.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Well this thread kind of went poof for a while didn't it.

There is one trainer in B/W in the Celestial Tower that switched their Pokemon out. There are others here and there I think but yeah they're pretty rare (Elesa and Bugsy don't count because its a move their Pokemon knows that does the job).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I don't ever remember seeing a trainer switch Pokémon but I do know that it can happen - there's a glitch in Gen IV which is caused by using Pursuit when they're switching out so it must be possible haha.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016

"Boo!" "Hiss!" (Throws garbage at Pikachu) "I like Shinx better!"

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I find Shinx a heck of a lot cuter than Pikachu; it's just a shame Luxray goes and spoils the line by looking so terrifying :(

Back