• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Azure (Custom Engine)

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2015
POKEMON AZURE - DEMO RELEASE THREAD
xvdce.png

Game information
DJ Class
Author
tenFold Studios
Team
Demo Release
Status
11/02/2013
Release

Engine Details

We are programming our set of development tools and engine in C# using the XNA Framework. We tried using pre-made engines, but decided that those were very general, and the custom engine in development has already so many hours into it, that it would be un-wise to go with a pre-made game engine. Our engine is programmed to our specific performance and platform goals. This engine will be usable on the Windows platform. OSX, iOS, Android, *nix, and XBOX 360 are possible additions, but that is not our concern as of now. The creation of our content lies in the Map Maker that we have designed, allowing us to place building, tiles, trainers, player, weather, scripts, and much more functionalities to bring Pokémon Azure as a whole to our audience.

Toolset Features

This list of toolset features are some of the many features in our toolset used to create Pokemon Azure.

• Custom Scripting Interface
  • Map Editing
  • The Pokemon World is consisted of many zones that are lain adjacent to each other
  • Some zones aren't part of the world (inside areas)
  • Each Zone consist of scenery objects, trainers, tiles, etc...
  • Intuitive graphical interface
  • Drag-and-drop scenery
  • Trainer editing
Engine Preview

Finished Artwork
Spoiler:

Download

Download the zip here! This .zip contains all art assets (done mostly by PC's SoaringSomeone!), and a current build of the game engine. There is no playable story line as of yet, and the only thing that runs is the starter debug town we created. If there is sufficient interest in the project we will be more than happy to host a git and allow people to make their own branches. To run the demo, navigate to the Current Binary directory and run PokéEngine.exe, and if you want to try out the mapmaker, LiveMapMaker.exe is what you want.

Support us!

private message
email - [email protected]
skype - pacificcharmilio
IAPL - (removed link due to no off-site linking, but go ahead and google it!)
NikNaks' World of Region Maps - Pokécommunity thread

Support us!

Ot3WY.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=257930"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ot3WY.png[/IMG][/URL]
cx111.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=257930"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cx111.png[/IMG][/URL]
Credits/Thank Yous

tenFold Studios
Co-Admin of tenFold Studios - Martialis Raghu (ShinyJirachi)
Co- Admin of tenFold Studios - DJ Class (Baird, Charmilio)

Senior Programmer - Martialis Raghu (ShinyJirachi)

Senior Programmer - Programmah (Willaien)
Senior Programmer - Upton (Darkkal)
Senior Programmer - NSee (Ency)

Scripter - DJ Class (Baird, Charmilio)

Scripter - Loch Ness Lapras (Parasect)
Scripter - Desame11 (Lyra's Marill)
Scripter - Gram (muge)

Senior Artist - Rayleigh (SoaringSomone)

Artist - Atlas (KY_GhostTrainer)
Artist - Gram (muge)

3D Assets - Niknaks

Contributors

Music, Sprites - Aus_Pokeguy
Scriptwork - Duskull (ShinyGengar)

IAPL

CoolTrainerBro
Fremont
Anonymousse
bigplrbear

Special Thanks

Secant (Averdak)
Fenix (Chingling)
NikNaks
Everyone at IAPL!
Andross (Tortiss)
/vp/
~JV~ for the Post Layout

Last edited:
Years
Although I didn't test it out I can tell that if this goes to be fully developed it would be an amazing engine,
as from the reasons that it's made in C# + XNA (which is easy to understand after a few examples), you can fully customize the engine be cause you have access to the full source (unlike RMXP which doesn't give you the game player or editor's source), 3D support (this is a lower point of view, but it's none the less a not so common feature), other than that I can't see anything else just by viewing what you've given out.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 8, 2018
It's an ok engine, the only thing bothering me is the tiles used. They don't exactly "fit" what you usually expect for Pokemon games. Kinda throws it off a bit.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
The possibilities sound amazing. I hope it really turns into something big in the future. I think there are a few things that are crucial to any pokémon engine. It needs to replicate the battle-capture system almost perfectly. By that I mean, the engine should have most abilities, move effects working, priorities, clauses, in-battle effect items, trainer AI, ect.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2015
Although I didn't test it out I can tell that if this goes to be fully developed it would be an amazing engine,
as from the reasons that it's made in C# + XNA (which is easy to understand after a few examples), you can fully customize the engine be cause you have access to the full source (unlike RMXP which doesn't give you the game player or editor's source), 3D support (this is a lower point of view, but it's none the less a not so common feature), other than that I can't see anything else just by viewing what you've given out.

Right. We were also toying with lua implementation for scripting purposes. The 3D view isn't locked at the moment but we know what we're doing for the most part concerning all dimensions, in both 2D and 3D.

It's an ok engine, the only thing bothering me is the tiles used. They don't exactly "fit" what you usually expect for Pokemon games. Kinda throws it off a bit.

These are simply placeholder tiles, you can download the rar and use the built in extractor on several tilesets from different Pokemon games. The map editor will cut them up for proper use and you can build any zone you want with the available tiles, same goes for built-in NPC support and scripting, along with walking routes. Cutscenes aren't fully implimented at the moment but can be improved on with a little work from anyone who wishes to do so. We plan to open source the code very soon, perhaps on git, so people can do just that.

It needs to replicate the battle-capture system almost perfectly. By that I mean, the engine should have most abilities, move effects working, priorities, clauses, in-battle effect items, trainer AI, ect.

We've been hard at work with all the scripting and replicating the most authentic experience we can, based off of the standard that Gen V set. But now the release of X & Y and the new flood of information makes putting our time spent on that on hold to let new information come in and perhaps allow for a proper release when the time comes for it. Either way, all the building blocks are in place for it to be properly added to the engine itself.

Years
I feel compelled to ask: Are there any plans on hosting this on a GitHub repo? This isn't a request to join your project but I'd love to be able to contribute to this (and I'd feel most comfortable doing that via GitHub).

I've been yearning for a decent 3D Pokemon engine for a while now and this looks promising. (Also, I love the fact that you're going open source with this.)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Looking forward to seeing the source soon. Especially if it has a Lua scripting backend, it's a good choice for a language.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
Looking forward to seeing the source soon. Especially if it has a Lua scripting backend, it's a good choice for a language.

Martialis here, one of the programmers.

The source should be inside the zip. My apologies for this not being clear.

Years
Right. We were also toying with lua implementation for scripting purposes. The 3D view isn't locked at the moment but we know what we're doing for the most part concerning all dimensions, in both 2D and 3D.

Lua would be a great language, I would say go for something that is more abstract, such as if I wanted lua I could use that, or if I wanted python I could create an api with a given interface that would allow this.

As for 3D, you should have 3 modes: 2D drawing (1-3rd gen game styles) pseudo "2.5D" drawing (4th gen), and then a full 3D mode such as in gen 5/6.

Note that those are suggestions not errors of any sort, they are ideas that I would take in high consideration if I were to make another attempt at an engine again.

Edit:
There are apparently metadata files (MoveListParse and MoveListEditor) missing from the kit which prevent the engine from compiling
You also appear to have 2 fonts missing from the kit "aansa" and "PokemonBW" which also prevent compilation.

I can't really tell if they are or aren't included there source isn't really clarified on anything and the read-me doesn't show anything other than the downloads for XNA GS.

Some clarification on where these files are (or if they even were included) would be helpful

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2015
I feel compelled to ask: Are there any plans on hosting this on a GitHub repo? This isn't a request to join your project but I'd love to be able to contribute to this (and I'd feel most comfortable doing that via GitHub).

We plan on hosting the source on git for this very reason- so people may contribute on their own and work on what they want. I'll update the thread when we post it.

There are apparently metadata files (MoveListParse and MoveListEditor) missing from the kit which prevent the engine from compiling
You also appear to have 2 fonts missing from the kit "aansa" and "PokemonBW" which also prevent compilation.

Pokemon Azure>PokeEngine Content has the fonts you're looking for, there are also .xnb fonts so you shouldn't have to compile to run them. Also, those two class files are both located in their respective root folder, but are just junk files for now to allow the engine to properly run.

You can actually see the source in the download linked in the OP.

Last edited:
Years
Pokemon Azure>PokeEngine Content has the fonts you're looking for, there are also .xnb fonts so you shouldn't have to compile to run them. Also, those two class files are both located in their respective root folder, but are just junk files for now to allow the engine to properly run.

For the font's I actually mean you need the True Type Font file for them, not just the Sprite Font or else you can't build the content. and as for the MoveList things, I found out the they were compiling before the PokeEngine project compiled which cause the error.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
For the font's I actually mean you need the True Type Font file for them, not just the Sprite Font or else you can't build the content. and as for the MoveList things, I found out the they were compiling before the PokeEngine project compiled which cause the error.

I will look around to find the TTF files for you. I'm sorry they weren't included! As for the MoveList errors, you can change the compile order of the solution and it should resolve the issue, should it not?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
With the direction that the official games are going, this project looks like it is well positioned to start filling the role of Pokemon Essentials down the road.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
Hey all, just wanted to clarify something for those still surfing the thread.

We are not continuing this engine. There are a variety of reasons internally as to why, but we are no longer in a position to keep actively developing this engine as a team.

The reason we threw this onto Git and posted it here as an engine was for the community as a whole. We feel that everyone involved can benefit from the efforts we have put forth in creating a lot of the underlying engine code. By no means, though, is this project completed or will be completed by tenFold Studios.

I hope that clears up any confusion people were having. All the assets included were developed for Pokemon: Azure and testing the engine, but Azure along with this engine are no longer under development.

If anybody has any questions regarding the engine, please do not hesitate to ask either in the thread or via private message.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
This is very interesting. I've got some ideas for a game that has certain similarities to Pokemon, (but with some key differences,) & I'm thinking of using this engine in MonoGame to develop it.

I have to wait until I get home to my laptop, though, since I'm on vacation in Israel...

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
This is very interesting. I've got some ideas for a game that has certain similarities to Pokemon, (but with some key differences,) & I'm thinking of using this engine in MonoGame to develop it.

I have to wait until I get home to my laptop, though, since I'm on vacation in Israel...

I'm curious to hear of your results. I haven't tried to compile this on MonoGame yet.

Back