• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Pokemon Black or Pokemon White?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
Hi
So Im finally going to get Pokemon black or white, I just need help deciding which one to get.
I'm looking to build the strongest team I possibly can with the help of EV training, so I can beat my friends who are really, REALLY good.
Thanks for the help!

Forgot to mention...I'd also like help choosing a starter. I don't really care about looks and I dont favor any type, so really whichever one is the strongest.

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Pokemon White mainly because Bagon can be caught in the white forest

Rufflet can be caught so can reuniclus since I like them

Years
It's all dependent on which version you like better. Most of the deciding factors when it comes to choosing which game I mainly play is the version exclusive Pokemon, for example White has the Rufflet, Petilil and Solosis lines while Black has the Vullaby, Cottonee and Gothita lines. Reshiram and Tornadus are found in Black while Zekrom and Thundurus are in White.

There's also the Black City and White Forest, exclusive to their respective version, and Opelucid City's appearance also changes, being rustic-looking in White, or futuristic-looking in Black. It's all up to your opinion of course!

Years
If you wanna try out the new Rotatation battle style then play Black though I wish it had Triple battle feature which is of course in White. Like Hikari said it is entirely upto you. Even though I have Black, I still Bagon which is now Shelgon in my team

Years
I prefer Pokemon White. The Pokemon you can find in it are better for my preference. I like the scenery as well. Even though I do like cities and modern stuff, the rural stuff looks a lot nicer. White Forest also gives me a vibe. I liked to go out in the forest when I was young.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Pokemon White! Because there's more Pokemon you can catch, especially after completing the game first time, where you can access White Forest and not just more routes.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I bought Pokémon Black due to all of its version exclusives. I also liked its mascot more, because in my opinion, it had a better design than Zekrom. I was planning to get Pokémon White for my sister, but I didn't end up getting it. She thought it'd be a better idea to just save the money and share the game with her, haha. In order for her to play the game from the beginning, though, I had to erase my save file completely. That was a big issue for me.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Pokemon White mainly because Bagon can be caught in the white forest

Rufflet can be caught so can reuniclus since I like them

This is not a good selling point for White version, unlike what people believe. To be able to catch Bagon (or any White Forest exclusive Pokémon) in White, you need to be lucky to have the correct NPC for Bagon or know a person who has so you can mix records with them. To have a higher chance of finding Bagon, you also need to reach White Forest in a certain amount of time, so that the NPCs don't disappear.

My rating of the exclusives (left is Black and right is White):

Beedrill < Butterfree
Breloom > Parasect
Honchkrow = Mismagius
Houndoom > Mightyena
Plusle = Minun
Gothitelle < Reuniclus
Mandibuzz = Braviary
Tornadus < Thundurus
Reshiram > Zekrom

Basically it's a tie, but IMO the stuff that Black has is overall better. Reuniclus isn't much better than Gothitelle, but Breloom is infinitely better than Parasect.

And of course there are the White Forest Pokémon, which only exist in White, but you can get quite a few of those in B2W2 anyway.

Don't buy into the White Forest hype, it's not all that much of a thing over Black version. If you're unlucky, you'll get stuff like Pidgey which is not so hot. Same thing with Black City, if you're unlucky you get all the treasure items or stuff like Poké Balls which are pointless to buy. Of course, if you have an AR it's irrelevant which version you buy since there's a code for switching between Black City and White Forest, as well as codes for adding all the residents.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
Thanks for the help guys, I ordered Pokemon Black
So now I would like to start thinking about a competitive team to beat my friends if anyone wants to help...I know Im a long ways away but I like to know this stuff before I start

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I prefer the white forst to the black city so I have white2.(i have black)

Years
White Forest > Black City, because in White Forest you can actually catch Pokemon rather than just battling them.

Of course this doesn't apply to BW2, but this thread is about BW anyways.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
White Forest > Black City, because in White Forest you can actually catch Pokemon rather than just battling them.

Of course this doesn't apply to BW2, but this thread is about BW anyways.

I actually preferred the Black City, it's a good spot for training, and also you can buy as many evo stones as your money allows.

Years
Either or really, it doesn't matter to me. Though I definitely do prefer Black and Black 2 because of Black City and I like the more modern design that Opelucid City has.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
For me, Pokemon White takes the cake, because of Reuniclus, Braviary, Zekrom, and more available Pokemon thanks to the White Forest.

Years
I actually preferred the Black City, it's a good spot for training, and also you can buy as many evo stones as your money allows.

There are much better places to train than Black City. Evolutionary stones is a small compensation for lack of ability to catch Pokemon, though that is still hampered by inability to buy any of the evolutionary stones that you want any time.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
I prefer Pokemon White, because I really like Zekrom and other Pokemon that you can only find in Pokemon White.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
It's funny because I bought Pokemon Black on accident. I meant to buy White because of Zekrom. However, I was stupid enough to make the assumption that the Black Dragon would be in the Black version of the game. I neglected the whole Yin and Yang aspect of them and bought the wrong version.

All it would've taken was a glance down, but I didn't bother, and by the time I realized it, I didn't really bother returning it, as White was out of stock by then anyways. So I played it. It's alright, but I really wanted to try Reinuclus, Braviary, and even to be able to capture Magnemite/Aron in the post-game playthrough.

I righted myself by grabbing Black 2 when I was given the opportunity. I got my hands on Zekrom, which was a plus, and while the Pokemon might remain the same as Black 1, I was happy.

So although I was silly enough to mix up the two, my vote remains with Pokemon White. I liked Opelucid's design, but after watching gameplay of White, I really liked the old fashioned look to Opelucid more.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I only bought White because I was so curious about White Forest, so I just had to go take a look. I was impressed by the variety of Pokemon I was able to capture just to complete my National Pokedex. Sadly it changes every season.

When I get Black, I'll be able to explore Black City.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I only bought White because I was so curious about White Forest, so I just had to go take a look. I was impressed by the variety of Pokemon I was able to capture just to complete my National Pokedex. Sadly it changes every season.

When I get Black, I'll be able to explore Black City.

Back