• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Well, it's obvious as to how it has gained such a reputation, isn't it?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
South Park is something I can watch every now and then. It's not really something that I look forward to watching the next episode every week though. And when I do watch it it's maybe one-two episodes before I'm tired of it and move on.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I always take South Park seriously because of the lessons they give near every end of the episode. Here's some from what I've learned:

- The rainforest doesn't deserve to be saved
- Smoking has brought a great influence to the U.S.'s history
- KFC is protecting us from getting cancer on purpose to get marijuana
- People go way too deep on books, so it's important to watch TV more than read books

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Um, Pinkie, South Park isnt supposed to be taken seriously at all in fact it shouldnt be. Its not a depiction of reality. Its the way it is because it's supposed to be laughed at because of how unreal it is

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Um, Pinkie, South Park isnt supposed to be taken seriously at all in fact it shouldnt be. Its not a depiction of reality. Its the way it is because it's supposed to be laughed at because of how unreal it is

trey parker and matt stone would have a lot of fun with you

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years

But from a book I've read regarding South Park, it says the show was praised for its moral lessons near the end of every episode due to it being clever. Comedians in general bring out really clever points when poking fun of both sides of serious issues.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
... I really have to wonder why someone would read about book about South Park. Even more so why would someone listen to what a book says about South Park of all things. No offense.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Well sometimes they do give a sort of a moral lesson but i doubt you should listen to everything they say.Also, what book were you reading from?

Years
Based on those "morals" raised in your post above, the book itself is clearly a gag book, the type of thing Spencer's is known for selling. South Park's "moral lessons" are almost all in the vein of callous indifference that's supposed to be amusing, after all.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
But they do bring excellent points about things they cruelly poke fun of. Do we really need to save the rainforest even though South Park showed why it's not worth it and deserves to be destroyed (everything tries to kill you in the rainforest).

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I generally dont take things from comedy shows seriously,especially ones like South Park and Family Guy. I personally think the rainforests are worth saving. No everything always tries to kill you. That was something made up for the show.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
... I really have to wonder why someone would read about book about South Park. Even more so why would someone listen to what a book says about South Park of all things. No offense.
I read a really good book about South Park and its views on philosophy. It's a series of essays that treat both the show itself AND the philosophical constructs of each chapter remarkably seriously. Some of the points made are a bit obtuse, but they're all argued well and by prominent academics in their field. So that's why someone (me) would read a book about South Park. No offense.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
But they do bring excellent points about things they cruelly poke fun of. Do we really need to save the rainforest even though South Park showed why it's not worth it and deserves to be destroyed (everything tries to kill you in the rainforest).

not sure if you're being serious or not tbh

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I read a really good book about South Park and its views on philosophy. It's a series of essays that treat both the show itself AND the philosophical constructs of each chapter remarkably seriously. Some of the points made are a bit obtuse, but they're all argued well and by prominent academics in their field. So that's why someone (me) would read a book about South Park. No offense.
Well, can't argue with that. I'll take back my statement, since I really should have thought about the fact that with every topic if the essay is written well anything about any topic can be read.

Years
There are lessons everywhere you look. I wish more people looked for philosophy in South Park and anything. Not to adopt those ideas, but just to think about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back