• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Well hey guys! I'm new to this club, as you can tell, and since I didn't see any sort of formal introduction, I figured I'd just hop in. Today is pretty special, because I caught my first shiny in 10 years, an exeggecute. The thrill is just the same now as it was then! ^__^

Welcome, Bob! Can I call you Bob? Your Shuckley face makes me think "Bob". Poke the Shuckle and it goes bob... bob... bob...

It's quite nice to get a Shiny after such a big drought! I know I was excited enough to tremble a bit when I first chained a Shiny, since it was the first Shiny I'd acquired after all my Gen I-III games (and my GBA) were stolen.

I hope you keep having good fortune!

@Runasutaru: I agree with everyone else that you should stick with the two Nincada. The reward will feel more special doing it that way. Good luck!

I was already going to stick to my guns, but it's intriguing to see everyone's replies on the matter. I hope the discussion was (or may still be, if anyone else replies) interesting for all of you! I feel it helps us get to know each other more.

Would you like any similar morally/personally ambiguous scenarios to be brought up in the future, if I come up with or run into something?

Speaking of which: Do you guys think it would make sense to include the Shinies I got from GTS trading on my Shiny Hunter card? They're legal for sure and their catch locations seem innocuous enough. With them being a Graveler and two Raticates, I think it's possible to assert the equivalence of the legality to legitimacy. In any case...

Good luck on your hunts, guys!

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
6161 Eevee
3138 Dratini
1569 Clefairy

Well hey guys! I'm new to this club, as you can tell, and since I didn't see any sort of formal introduction, I figured I'd just hop in. Today is pretty special, because I caught my first shiny in 10 years, an exeggecute. The thrill is just the same now as it was then! ^__^

Welcome to the club! May you have many more shinies!

Would you like any similar morally/personally ambiguous scenarios to be brought up in the future, if I come up with or run into something?

Speaking of which: Do you guys think it would make sense to include the Shinies I got from GTS trading on my Shiny Hunter card? They're legal for sure and their catch locations seem innocuous enough. With them being a Graveler and two Raticates, I think it's possible to assert the equivalence of the legality to legitimacy.

Of course! Everyone's always invited to bring up stuff to talk about in the club, and it adds fun things to post about. :) We can also have a discussion about cool hunt ideas and then vote on the best ones for the August Quest, so feel free to suggest some hunt ideas for the club!

To answer your question, I personally wouldn't put traded shinies on my card, but that's just me. I like to catch all of my shinies myself, and the fun is mostly in the hunt and knowing that I went through the work of getting them. That said, they're still legit shinies, so there's nothing wrong with having them on a card. I just like showing off my own shinies a bit more, as they seen infinitely more special to me.

I should probably update my card at some point...it looks like I haven't touched it since 2011! I'm two shinies behind and still using a nonstandard pluralization of "shinies"! But shoot, only two shinies behind...I really ought to catch more than one per year, haha. Time to pick up the pace! Eevee, Dratini, and Clefairy, shine! :pink_laugh:

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
I agree with G-Money. You can have shinies that were obtained through the GTS on your card if you want, but it's not something that I would do with mine. The shiny Gyarados from the Lake of Rage is legit, but it's not one that I list on my card because it doesn't feel as special as the ones that I hunted for or encountered randomly. It's up to the individual if they want to include shinies obtained through trades and guaranteed shinies like Gyarados.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Speaking of which: Do you guys think it would make sense to include the Shinies I got from GTS trading on my Shiny Hunter card? They're legal for sure and their catch locations seem innocuous enough. With them being a Graveler and two Raticates, I think it's possible to assert the equivalence of the legality to legitimacy.

Clearly I think that you can put an event or Red Guarados on your card. The thing is to tell people where it came from so they know, otherwise it can be misleading. At the end of the day people can lie online, but what's the point. So if you want to I say do it, just show they are from the GTS (or at least don't lie about where they came from).

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Hi there! I'm new to this club and new to the entire forums site. I have a few shinies (all from GTS/negotiations, however), and am masuda methoding for shiny eevee. Hopefully I can get the eevee within 30 days...

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! In answer to your questions, I wasn't hunting for anything at the time, just running around in the safari zone in my old Fire Red game. I was pretty freaked out because I thought it might flee. Thankfully, it didn't.
And yes, you can call me Bob.

I also think the long, slow grind for that perfect shiny is what makes it truly worth it. My friends all give me flak because they can kick my butt with their full perfect IV teams they hacked in, but raising each of my pokemon, not just my shinies give me more satisfaction then any victory would. Especially randomly encountering a shiny. It's like winning the lottery, but more likely and (very slightly) less exciting. Trading for one, like hacking one, just isn't the same, it's too easy.

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
@Lightsage

Hey, hey! Welcome to the club and good luck on the Eevee!

Do you have any interesting Shinies coming from those trades you've made?

Clearly I think that you can put an event or Red Guarados on your card. The thing is to tell people where it came from so they know, otherwise it can be misleading. At the end of the day people can lie online, but what's the point. So if you want to I say do it, just show they are from the GTS (or at least don't lie about where they came from).

Yeah, that seems to be pretty fair. I actually have one trade Shiny on there already, an IRL trade. You may not believe it, but when I asked my friend what he wanted for his Floatzel, he asked for a FEAR Rattata - pretty amusing deal, if you ask me!

As for the Shinies currently in my signature... My card, in case you've ever wondered, has the symbols in this order:

Encounter/Egg (no Masuda)
Stationary/PokéRadar
Trade (including GTS)/Masuda method

I'll give it an update when I get another Shiny.

A side note: I certainly do value my own Shinies more than the ones from the trades, at least on a baseline level. However, I can still form an attachment on the long-term and enjoy them as much as my own, if and only if they're properly nicknamed. My friend let me nickname his Floatzel before trading, while one of the Raticates I got from the GTS (likely the only Raticate I'll keep out of the two) has a nickname, even if written in Japanese. There is an exception, though... my Golem (originally a Graveler from the GTS) isn't nicknamed, but since a golem is a mythical being as it is and the word is pretty cool, it's a case where I don't mind the lack of a nickname.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
@Lightsage

Hey, hey! Welcome to the club and good luck on the Eevee!

Do you have any interesting Shinies coming from those trades you've made?
Hopefully that quote worked... But yes I did get a shiny horsea at level 24. When I saw I had it I was like, "Time to train this to a competitor in battles". about 5-6 gameplay hours and a TON of Hall of Fames later, it's a shiny Lv.100 Kingdra. (feels great to train when you want to train a pokemon to level 100, it sort of easier to make an effort and keep training that pokemon, you know?

Just got a shiny level 100 japanese Dragonite from GTS 3 days ago (now lets see if I can actually win competitive battles <.<).

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Hopefully that quote worked...

Ohhh, very close! Any tag that starts with a word ends with that word plus a forward slash preceding it. Something like (quote)(/quote), if you replaced the parentheses with square brackets.

(now lets see if I can actually win competitive battles <.<).

Unless the metagame is particularly rigged against any movesets you have based on egg moves you have/don't have, it should be easy to adapt and win, with some practice!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Thank you for the information, runasutaru.

It's great to MM for eevees; they have great evolutions and if I get a shiny eevee, well... I'll know what a shiny Sylveon looks like (Lol...).

2 Hours of MM'ing for Eevee results are as follows:

Total Eevees:23
Eevees with Adaptability:12
Eevees with Run away:11
Shiny Eevees:0

Results will be updated at 2:30 P.M. CDT.

2 Hours of MM'ing for Eevee results are as follows:

Total Eevees:23
Eevees with Adaptability:12
Eevees with Run away:11

Results will be updated at 2:30 P.M. CDT.

Last edited:

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Two hours for 23 Eevees? Are you stopping a lot to check abilities and IVs, are not in the rhythm yet or are still swapping parents a lot?

As for me, I'm still doing the same old - multitasking hatching with browsing the Internet, listening to music and all that. Hopefully I'll get this Nincada within this month, haha!

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Two hours for 23 Eevees? Are you stopping a lot to check abilities and IVs, are not in the rhythm yet or are still swapping parents a lot?

Actually none of the above. I just take breaks quite often and it takes a while to hatch eevee eggs.

Also, I've updated my Eevee count.

Eevees total:53
Eevees with adaptability:26
Eevees with Run Away:27

Next update: 7:30 P.M. CDT (I'm taking breaks often and looking at this forum frequently, so yeah...)

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Actually none of the above. I just take breaks quite often and it takes a while to hatch eevee eggs.

Yeah, the eggs of that step tier take a while to hatch - I know that from experience as well. I guess breaks make sense in that time factoring.

@Chr. Draco: Congratulations on that Shiny Cresselia! Pretty nice Shiny to have!

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Welcome to the club, LightSage1331!

Congrats on the shiny Cresselia and Kyurem, Chr. Draco!

This week's random hunt is... Spheal!

G-Money

Years
6289 Eevee
3280 Dratini
1640 Clefairy

Hi there! I'm new to this club and new to the entire forums site. I have a few shinies (all from GTS/negotiations, however), and am masuda methoding for shiny eevee. Hopefully I can get the eevee within 30 days...

Welcome to the Shiny Hunters Club, LightSage1331! I'm hunting Eevee too - hopefully we'll both have a shiny Eevee soon! :)

if and only if they're properly nicknamed.

Fortunately for you, you happen to own the greatest-nicknamed shiny of all time! :pink_tongue:

got shiny cresselia

Congrats! Cresselia's one of the best-looking shinies, in my opinion. Maybe the coolest fourth-gen one? It's definitely up there with Drifblim!

Does this mean to get a shiny spheal only through encounter in the wild or can we also MM for it?

Also, how does everyone think of the new gen 6 pokemon announced, honedge?

Either way works! For the weekly Quests, you can find it by pretty much any method you want, given that you find it yourself and it wasn't chained or something.

I don't know too much about the sixth gen Pokemon, but I do love Ghost types...more shinies for me to hunt before I can complete my Ghost Quest! "lol" these Ghosts are appearing faster than I can find them shiny, haha.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
@G-money

Over 6000 Eevee eggs!?

If you're Masuda Methoding, then you must have bad luck. If using 2 eeveelutions from your region, on the other hand....

Of course the only shinies I get are from GTS, but...

Anyway good luck withthe eevee!

G-Money

Years
6300 Eevee
3316 Dratini
1658 Clefairy

@G-money

Over 6000 Eevee eggs!?

If you're Masuda Methoding, then you must have bad luck. If using 2 eeveelutions from your region, on the other hand....

Of course the only shinies I get are from GTS, but...

Anyway good luck withthe eevee!

Thanks, you too! I'm hunting in Celadon City in LG, doing soft resets rather than eggs. 6000 Masuda eggs would be absolutely terrible luck! {D:}

Also, I've been asked to list some of the past Monthly Quests so people can have some ideas to build from for August suggestions, so here are the Quests we've had so far this year:

January 2013: Capture any 2 shiny baby Pokemon!
February 2013: Anyone who can get two shinies with a National Dex number of "2" successfully completes this month's Quest!
March 2013: Find two shinies with two feet!
April 2013: Find two shinies who can learn Rain Dance! Extra points for a shiny Kyogre or Drizzle Politoed!
May 2013: Find two shinies who were at one point owned by Ash or one of his companions!
June 2013: Find two shinies who can learn one of the following moves:

- Fly
- Bounce
- Sky Uppercut
- Sky Attack
July 2013: Find two shinies that can be obtained in Pokemon Ruby.

Back