• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: HG / SS Music Patch [FR] [EM]

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Nice work! So what is it you're doing exactly? are you editing the HGSS Midis? Or you're inserting them directly, modifying the voicegroups and voice limits?

The second one. I'm just porting HGSS to GBA. Plus the GB music.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
You work is superb. I got back into rom hacking very recently after 5 years or so... I was one of the first wave of music hackers. I know how to work with music... but how did you manage to make the tracks play a lot more voices than it should? how did you insert the new voicegroups? Years back, to add new voicegroups or edit them you had to work everything in pure hex, and at the time we never thought of actually having the tracks play more voices (I guess all that was inspired by the release of DPP afterwards).
Do you have any guides I could use? :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
You work is superb. I got back into rom hacking very recently after 5 years or so... I was one of the first wave of music hackers. I know how to work with music... but how did you manage to make the tracks play a lot more voices than it should? how did you insert the new voicegroups? Years back, to add new voicegroups or edit them you had to work everything in pure hex, and at the time we never thought of actually having the tracks play more voices (I guess all that was inspired by the release of DPP afterwards).
Do you have any guides I could use? :)

I do have a mega-huge sappy tutorial (google search it) But I've been told it's hard to follow, but since you understand hex it should be good for you. It explains literally everything except adsr from nds to gba, yet that's getting worked on right now actually, hehe

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
I do have a mega-huge sappy tutorial (google search it) But I've been told it's hard to follow, but since you understand hex it should be good for you. It explains literally everything except adsr from nds to gba, yet that's getting worked on right now actually, hehe

Thanks, I'll look into it :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
It's nice to see others interested in this, as it's a pretty interesting topic, even though I hate music

It's an awesome topic if you ask me :) I would've never thought you hated music, considering your work is great.

GoGoJJTech

Years
It's an awesome topic if you ask me :) I would've never thought you hated music, considering your work is great.

It's just so addicting tbh, just I hate music XD
I'm a weird one aren't I?

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Great work Gogo! Will the next version include the Team Rocket battle theme?

GoGoJJTech

Years
You're an exception xD. Anyways, are the original voicegroups still in the ROM after applying your patch?

Yeah. I just edited the intro themes (the ones with the drums) to use HGSS instruments, but other than that, no, I did not edit existing voicegroups.

Great work Gogo! Will the next version include the Team Rocket battle theme?

Yes, hopefully I find a slot to put it in.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Yeah. I just edited the intro themes (the ones with the drums) to use HGSS instruments, but other than that, no, I did not edit existing voicegroups.

Thats great. How are you progressing with the Emerald patch? I'm making an Emerald hack and I noticed a few instruments were missing in your patch. I'm porting some music from Black & White so I'll be using your Emerald patch as a base since all the NDS samples will be there.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Thats great. How are you progressing with the Emerald patch? I'm making an Emerald hack and I noticed a few instruments were missing in your patch. I'm porting some music from Black & White so I'll be using your Emerald patch as a base since all the NDS samples will be there.

I've inserted every instrument into the Emerald patch. You lost likely assembled the song into the wrong voicegroup. The Romhack.me page has my most recent update, so maybe the song you want is in the new update. If not, then tell me what song you want to insert and I'll tell you which offset the voicegroup is located at.

GoGoJJTech

Years

Plus there's a BW music patch coming out soon, so why use HGSS instruments?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
I've inserted every instrument into the Emerald patch. You lost likely assembled the song into the wrong voicegroup. The Romhack.me page has my most recent update, so maybe the song you want is in the new update. If not, then tell me what song you want to insert and I'll tell you which offset the voicegroup is located at.

Thats great then. I didn't take a look thoroughly so maybe I missed it.

Plus there's a BW music patch coming out soon, so why use HGSS instruments?

That's because I'll be using a combination of music from all games and I have my own tracks done and some of them "remixed". :) So I was pretty much looking for a base instead.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Thats great then. I didn't take a look thoroughly so maybe I missed it.

That's because I'll be using a combination of music from all games and I have my own tracks done and some of them "remixed". :) So I was pretty much looking for a base instead.

Well it'd be a good idea to use the BW as a base, then import the necessary instruments from here. BW is more work, so it's best you don't waste time importing from there. Just a few more days hopefully.

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
1. The voicegroups in the patches are set up exactly like the default HGSS voicegroup. The numbers are way different than the default GBA instrument numbers. For example, the string ensemble in the GBA Poké games is number 48, whereas it's number 23 in HGSS.

Does anyone actually have a list that has all of the HG/SS instrument numbers on them, or do we kinda have to just mix and match them?

Because when I've been inserting my custom songs with the DPPt instrument patch, I had to mix and match some instruments cause they weren't the same as the GBA instrument numbers either.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Does anyone actually have a list that has all of the HG/SS instrument numbers on them, or do we kinda have to just mix and match them?

Because when I've been inserting my custom songs with the DPPt instrument patch, I had to mix and match some instruments cause they weren't the same as the GBA instrument numbers either.

Gamefreak did that to throw us off, too bad we're SMART
So there's not a list, but you could pick them out by ear. The most common is 29 (trumpet).

Wobbu

Years
0-6: Percussive chordophones and idiophones
7: Xylophone?
8: Tubular Bells
9: Vibraphone?
10: Music Box
11-12: Idiophones
13: Accordion
14: Acoustic Guitar
15: Acoustic Guitar
16: Overdriven Guitar
17: Overdriven Guitar
18: ???
19: Upright Bass
20: ??? (a bass instrument)
21: Slap Bass
22: ??? (a bass instrument)
23: String Ensemble
24: Viola or Violin (I'm not sure)
25: Cello
26: Pizzicato Strings
27: Harp
28: Timpani
29: Trumpet
30: Tuba or Trombone
31: ??? (Some type of brass instrument)
32: Tuba or Trombone
33: ??? (It's a high pitched aerophone, maybe an Oboe or Piccolo)
34: Clarinet
35: Flute
36: ??? (Aerophone)
37: Orchestra Hit
38: ???
39: Drums
40: Some weird Drums
41: ???
42: Japanese chordophone (don't know the name)
43: Not an instrument
44: Wind Sound Effect (used in the Frontier Brain battle theme and the Battle Arcade)
45: ??? (It sounds terrible and I haven't encountered a song that uses it; may be used as a sound effect)
46: ??? (Electrophone used in Silver's battle theme and another battle theme)
47: Bubble Sound Effect (used in Lugia's battle theme)
48: Square (as in GB quality)
49-51: Not an instrument
52-53: Squares (used in the credits)
54: Not an instrument
55: Whistle
56: ??? (sounds like a synthetic cymbal)
57: a type of Organ
58-59: Not an instrument
60-69: Vary depending on voicegroup (Includes the Grand Piano used in National Park, the Synthesizer used in many battle themes and the Global Terminal, an electronic drum set used in most battle themes, a few choirs used in some battle themes and Union Cave, a few Orchestra Hits that are used in battle themes, Percussive Bells, traditional instruments used in Ecruteak City and the Burned/Bell Towers, a Saxophone used in a couple Battle Frontier facilities)
70-89: Not an instrument
90-127: Some of these are the sound effects used when walking on grass, dirt, a road, etc. Also includes the wave sound effect when standing by the ocean.

Gamefreak did that to throw us off, too bad we're SMART
lol I think the different instrument numbers are because of the software that the composer used. You can tell that the software used by HGSS's primary composer was also used for Gen. 5 because if you assembled an unmodified Icirrus City .s file (this goes for some other songs, too) into a HGSS voicegroup, the song will actually sound correct (if you disregard the lower quality and differently pitched instruments used in HGSS)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Hows it going guys? Anyways, I patched my Emerald rom and after pressing start on the titlescreen some instruments freeze and keep playing through out the game lol. I tried 2 different emerald roms and same problem. I also tried using patch 1.1 and patch 1.2. Has this happened before? Thanks guys

Wobbu

Years
Hows it going guys? Anyways, I patched my Emerald rom and after pressing start on the titlescreen some instruments freeze and keep playing through out the game lol. I tried 2 different emerald roms and same problem. I also tried using patch 1.1 and patch 1.2. Has this happened before? Thanks guys

Things are going good :P
What emulator are you using? I've had this problem with my iPhone emus, but not VBA. I'm pretty sure this is happening because I'm having issues with changing a pointer near the song table. I will try to have it fixed for the next update or maybe earlier.

Back