• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon designs

Cheshire

nite-owl loves to party
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2009
I've read that after Gen 2 ken sugimori did'nt design every pokemon, so does anyone know any pokemon he didnt design?

Azonic

hello friends
Years
He made up the concept art of every Pokemon, but he didn't design (or should I say "draw") all of them. Especially the ones after #251, you can see a difference in their artwork.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
He actually drew all of them. I think. Each design though of the Pokemon though do not come from him after Johto. But yeah he drew them didn't he? I mean why wouldn't he?

Feathing

Water Gym Master
Years
I read an interview (I think I saw the link in a thread here in PC) where two man were talking about the Pokemon's designs... I think Ken Sugimori doesn't create all of them anymore, he just draws the original art for the cards/posters/albums/etc. but the idea of the new pkmn (at least from the ones from the third gen) came from other people.
As Cherii said, you can see the difference between the first/second gen and the third/fourth gen... The latest are.... ugly XD

JakeProTrainer

Insane Strategist
Years
Slow down for a moment.

I'll agree that many of the third and fourth generation pokemon are less artistically imaginative then one would expect. But that doesn't mean that the first and second generations are without flaws or that the third and fourth generation pokemon have no amazingly good-looking pokemon.
Take as an examble Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir and Gallade. Gardevoir is considered one of the most beautiful pokemon of all time and the rest of that evolutionary line scores high points for their aesthetic.
As for the first and second gen games, how many of you actually liked the design of say, Qwilfish? Or Raticate? Or Magikarp?
The point being that there are no absolutes.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
Oh wow, I never knew. I had some idea that maybe something like this was taken place, but I thought it may be too unlikely. I'm actually quite surprised. Never even really saw the difference in artwork. :( Still can't to be honest lol.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
He does do all of the official art on them, but the designs in general are not all his.

Back