• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where is racism today?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I think you're overgeneralizing. Sure, like I have said already fight against racism has gone a long way, but it's not as if hate crimes are a thing of the past. And I'm putting that very, very lightly.

I might be. I admit, my experience may be limited. Perhaps due to where I live. Idk, I've just always had a "Laugh in the face of racism" attitude, and it's served me well :)

Spoiler:

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I disagree with the statement that racists are harmless. Racists are the ones inciting racism; without them, there would be no racism. It's not logical to claim that racism is harmful but racists are not—you cannot have one without the other.

Years
I think it's also important to keep in mind that race is not biological. It's merely a social construct designed to differentiate groups of people.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Racism? Harmless? Those two words do not go into the same sentence.

Well, it's not like you end up having a blue eye and lots of bleeding wounds, because of Racism.
It could be emotionally harmful, but as I said before, Racism differs in every Continent.
Here in Europe, the only thing you can call Racism, is when you take advantage over the skin colour you don't have.

Like:
There's a group of white people doing Multiplayer on Wii U.

Black person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "No, get a Banana from the trees, blacko"!

Islamitic person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "No, we don't want to be killed".

White person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "Sure"!

That's really the only form of Racism we know of.
Meanwhile, I've met multiple fates with Americans, who called me "Racist" for the following:
- Making a normal joke with a different Nationality in it.
- Making a normal joke with a different Gender in it.
- Telling the truth about what one Religion finds normal to do.
- Telling what happened in reality, which either I saw myself, or what was on News.
And many more ********.

Racists are the ones inciting racism; without them, there would be no racism.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Years
Well, it's not like you end up having a blue eye and lots of bleeding wounds, because of Racism.
It could be emotionally harmful, but as I said before, Racism differs in every Continent.
Here in Europe, the only thing you can call Racism, is when you take advantage over the skin colour you don't have.

Like:
There's a group of white people doing Multiplayer on Wii U.

Black person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "No, get a Banana from the trees, blacko"!

Islamitic person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "No, we don't want to be killed".

White person: "Can I participate"?
The group: "Sure"!

That's really the only form of Racism we know of.
Meanwhile, I've met multiple fates with Americans, who called me "Racist" for the following:
- Making a normal joke with a different Nationality in it.
- Making a normal joke with a different Gender in it.
- Telling the truth about what one Religion finds normal to do.
- Telling what happened in reality, which either I saw myself, or what was on News.
And many more ********.

I forgot to note that by what I said, I wasn't entirely talking about physical harm. But I also think it's worth knowing that racism can lead to violence.

Last edited:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
racism can lead to violence.

In really minor cases, yes.
The difference is, you can get to jail for violence, not for Racism.
That's why it's doesn't happen as much, because they can't take away human rights from you for giving someone emotional damage, but they can for giving someone physical damage.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
So glad there's someone who understands what I was trying to get across. It's a sticks and stones kind of thing. It can only do harm to you if you let it. Racism can lead to violence, but it's the racism that harmed you, it's the violence that did.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Racism leads to many different forms of violence and inequality in the United States. Policemen and other officials profile black and Hispanic individuals by stopping and frisking them at an extremely high rate compared to white individuals. I could give you a few cases in which racism is more than just "you can't play this game with us because of your race":

-Two teens who were shopping at Barneys were stopped by police and interrogated for simply "shopping while black". These teens bought expensive items from the stores, yet the store clerks racially profiled them by immediately assuming that the teens used money acquired illegally.
-A man who owns a Quickstop has documented over a year of his employees being harassed, stopped and frisked, and arrested by policemen for simply being black or Hispanic while working at their jobs.
-In my home state of Arizona, SB1070 allowed policemen to racially profile those they stopped for traffic violations by asking them for their legal documentation, which was used heavily against those of Hispanic descent.
-Remember in east Las Vegas when hundreds of Hispanic students walked out of their classrooms in protest of being punished for simply speaking Spanish and being actively dissuaded from seeking a college education or a good job beyond mechanics, janitorial work or housework?
-In New York City, stop and frisk has been brought into the light as a racially-charged act which disproportionately affects blacks and Hispanics. From what I remember, around 85% of stops and frisks performed in NYC were on African Americans, yet around 80-90% of those stops yielded no result. African Americans make up only 25% of the NYC population.
-In the wake of 9/11, many Americans still discriminate heavily and show hatred and racism towards Islamic Americans.
-Our history indicates a severe dislike and scorn towards Native Americans. Let us remember the Trail of Tears.
-Black slavery is an easy one. Need I say more?

The United States is notorious for its blatant and shocking racist tendencies. It's no wonder other industrialized nations laugh at us.

Years
Hey people. Just a reminder things civil and respectful, okay? Images like this:

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

They don't contribute to the conversation and can be unnecessarily or unintentionally inflammatory. That may not be the intention, but I want to keep things from getting out of hand so please let's not bring them in if we can help it. Things get hot enough in here already.

Years
In really minor cases, yes.
The difference is, you can get to jail for violence, not for Racism.
That's why it's doesn't happen as much, because they can't take away human rights from you for giving someone emotional damage, but they can for giving someone physical damage.

That's why I said it's worth knowing that it can, however uncommon it may be in civilized parts of today's world.

Last edited:

kha111

Upcoming Video Game Master
Years
Racism In The United States

Even if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. made his speech about almost sixty years ago, racism still existed. White hated Black and black hated the colored. It was still racial tension and to the point where major U.S cities started to riot and divide the neighborhood. If you were Black, you get stared down. If you were white, you would get jumped in a all black neighborhood. Personally im black and we just started to ease tension a little, but comedian jokes and modern day society has no respect for races, ethnicity and cultural backgrounds, even if it was unintentional. Racism still exists and it took us to a point where we started killing people from our own races. You go into the ghetto, we kill each other like we live in Iraq. You go into the middle class or white neighborhood, those kids bully the crap out each other and adults have screaming matches. I mean is racism beginning to become a problem again? The way society portrays it, the way we portray it and worst, the way the world does, its becoming rife again. Hate crimes are increasing. One blame: blame the parents telling their kids to stay away from certain cultures. Its the parents.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
That's true. Racist parents can influence their children to be racist. A lot of the racist classmates I've known had racist parents and grandparents. Even a lot of people in my family don't like Turks, and a few don't like Syrians. (Strangely, no one's complained about Jews. Israel, of course, but not Jews as a whole. My grandparents even knew Jews when they were kids. It's kind of sad that the Jewish communities in the Arab world are virtually extinct - the only ones that really have Jews are Morocco and Tunisia. And because of the anti-Israel attitudes, many younger Arabs are unaware of the Jewish communities that once were.)

Last edited:
Years
At the same time, the people who end up propelling things like the civil rights movement and a more equal worldview have racist parents themselves eh? Parents will always be more conservative than their children (actually I hope that's debatable), so what I think whatever overturned racism (or matters in terms its presence/absence) were the social movements.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
At the same time, the people who end up propelling things like the civil rights movement and a more equal worldview have racist parents themselves eh? Parents will always be more conservative than their children (actually I hope that's debatable), so what I think whatever overturned racism (or matters in terms its presence/absence) were the social movements.

You're mostly right, but some people do change when they get older. My grandparents wouldn't have been as accepting of other cultures when they were young (and freely admit that they were more bigoted in their youth), since they grew up in a place where everyone spoke Arabic. It also took time for them to learn to associate with Australians of various backgrounds when they moved there.

Still, I noticed that old people do adapt to changes a lot more slowly. I know a lot of older people of immigrant background who prefer speaking their first language, eating their own cuisine, and following etiquette from their home country, even though they might be friendly with people of other nationalities. The younger ones learn to accept the different culture more easily than their parents and grandparents.

Back