• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods (2013)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm pretty excited about this movie. Previously, Toriyama had varied and/or limited association with the creation of the movies, and this one was written by him.

This is also the first movie to touch on any sort of religion (barring the religious inferences and references in the show), and I'm always eager to see the Dragon Ball universe become more detailed and rounded out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Okay wow, this is looking very cool indeed! I could've sworn they had already announced the end of the DBZ anime franchise though...? At any rate, I'm looking forward to this a lot. The space battle between Goku and the bad guy (?) looks like it'll be one of those epic moments you'll never forget and the main villain being a cat-monster-thing, well, that's cool to I guess paha. Obviously we can't know too much about the plot right now so it's hard to judge much more than this, but it's looking like a pretty dramatic film by DBZ standards so I'm excited for this. :D

Years
When I clicked this thread I was expecting to hear that they were making another live action Dragonball movie and was ready to be horrified. I'm a little disappointed they aren't making that now.

Years
Spoiler:

I'm really super exited for this film, I guess my only concern is if it's going to be dubbed or not, alot of the more recent releases havn't been (The Raging Blast 2 Video being a good example of this). The god of destruction being a Egyptian like cat is also pretty amazing :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Spoiler:

I'm really super exited for this film, I guess my only concern is if it's going to be dubbed or not, alot of the more recent releases havn't been (The Raging Blast 2 Video being a good example of this). The god of destruction being a Egyptian like cat is also pretty amazing :)
I'm worried about that too, and even more, I wonder who will return. Ideally, I'd like the original Dragon Ball Z casts to come back for this entry, given that it's not a Kai title and it seems to follow Dragon Ball Z canon (though the latter part doesn't matter as Krillin teased the Buu saga for Kai, plus the latest games ending with "Z" have been using the Kai casts).

But, I'm not sure if that will happen. Either way, I've always been a fan of Dubbed Dragon Ball Z, Ocean and Funi, so I hope that it gets dubbed, at the very least.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
But they're already stronger than Kami-sama

I'm always up for a new animated Dragonball movie but the idea of god in the Dragonball world has already lost its meaning especially in the Japanese version since the nameless Namek was called "god". Then you had big ol' Yemma sitting at his desk to judge whether a deceased soul should move onto heaven or HFIL. Even the almighty Kais, Grand Kai and Supreme Kais are considered tremendously weak compared to the super saiyans during the Cell saga. Or Shin might have just been really weak compared to the other Kais since they could all handle Buu minus his regeneration and absorption abilities.

I just know I'm going to roll my eyes at whatever nonsense the old kai is going to make up on the spot.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
But they're already stronger than Kami-sama

I'm always up for a new animated Dragonball movie but the idea of god in the Dragonball world has already lost its meaning especially in the Japanese version since the nameless Namek was called "god". Then you had big ol' Yemma sitting at his desk to judge whether a deceased soul should move onto heaven or HFIL. Even the almighty Kais, Grand Kai and Supreme Kais are considered tremendously weak compared to the super saiyans during the Cell saga. Or Shin might have just been really weak compared to the other Kais since they could all handle Buu minus his regeneration and absorption abilities.

I just know I'm going to roll my eyes at whatever nonsense the old kai is going to make up on the spot.
Well, it's more of an exploration of the types of gods. For instance, The aptly named Kami and the Kais were "gods" because they were overseers, not necessarily because they were powerful (though the Supreme Kais, and in an anime canon sense, the Grand Kai were meant to be powerful, I still think it applies), same with the Namek. They watch over their specified areas and try to resolve disorder, usually with warriors like the Z fighters.

Yemma isn't really a God, he is simply a judge and only really has power over the dead, as does the Yama of legend and his many variations throughout anime and literature.

This God is the only God that really has immense power, being the God of Destruction most likely inspired by Egyptian (and various other related) Gods and tradition. I don't think any of the Gods, or even the use of the word, is meant to be "almighty" in the sense that the Christian, Islamic, or Jewish Gods are. The gods range in power and purpose and are not solely dependent on having former to fulfill the latter.

I get where you're coming from, but Toriyama isn't the type to pull stuff out of thin air if he doesn't need to. This is an original work made by him, and it isn't forced like the Buu and, to a lesser extent, the Cell sagas were, so I don't really think there's any reason to worry about it being stale or weak in that area.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
This is double posting, but it's an update regarding the movie. A new trailer has been released today and it's pretty important. I won't spoil what it presents here, but it's better that you just give it a watch.

It may or may not redact GT (I assume that it does, but one could argue that it doesn't until we know more about it). Also, in the same trailer, they announce a 3DS game with Birisu on it, which implies that it might be a 3DS game based on the movie. Plus, included is a nice remake of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La by FLOW, who you may know from their songs like COLORS, SIGN, and GO!

Back