• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PBR: Sweet lemoning or sour graping it?

Cross

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2008
Read it all, please.
After completing PBR for the first time since I've gotten it, I was all happy and everything. I just beat supposedly the best trainer of Pokemon games and see a few credits.
After that, the game case with the disc inside has what I call "Gotta catch all the dust!"
I beat the game, and now I'm agreeing with someone I used to disagree with, Acrof.
Graphics
First thing is, they suck. I bet if they didn't have that funky blury stuff in the background all the time, the game would look as bad as Stadium. The Pokemon are all boring, and 90% of physical attacks just show the pokemon running torwards the opponent, switching the screen in front of it, showing it make a funky attack, and then switches to the opponent pokemon being attacked. It's not different than how Stadium and Colosseum were except just a little moving around.
The improvements on graphics? Very few. Flamethrower looks like red water, fire blast looks like crap, and hydro pump looks weird compared to Colosseum and XD. oh god, and don't get me started on the Earthquake comparison. The second worst is Solar beam. It looked so much cooler like a Beam, not some round wave coming from the sky.
The only move improvements is Ice Beam and Frenzy Plant. That's the only moves I thought look better changed.

Hey! I'm clostrophobic! Where do I walk around for a fresh breathe of air?
No where, bub. It's limited. It's Pokemon without the real joy of moving around and seeing new things. Just hitting the same button, choosing what attack, what time, when and on who.

"Hey! Let's play WiFi!
I'm going to use my hard work and trained Pokemon to beat other trains around the wo-.... Error code 20100? What's that?"
Yes, first Wifi game has the weakest wireless support I have ever seen. The battles take over 20 minutes because of stupid lags. I fought my neighbor, RIGHT next door, and it took about 10 minutes for out attacks to hit eachother when we selected them at the same time, 10 minutes earlier. And if it's not lagging, it's "Error code Number ******"

Trainer Customization! I can make him look like me!
Or so I thought. The trainer costumization is limited, restricted, and you actually have to BUY new hairtyles!?

Wow! That was quick! What do I do when after I beat the game?
Enjoy repititive battles against the same Pokemon, same trainers, same places. Maybe a few changes to several colosseums and such, that's about it though.

My main rant on this, is the fact that there is no storyline! It's all battling? Even stadium had MINIGAMEs but this game has nothing but battling?
I took more pleasure in playing Pokemon Channel because you could move around more, Ranger and Trozei has more storyline, the Gameboy games have more overworld graphics... This game isn't even the real thrill of going through different areas and lands to fight the toughest leaders so you could get a badge and go to the elite four. Even the Colosseum ripoff Pokemon XD was better.
I'm done ranting. Fell free to discuss.

Bishopk

meow :)
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Fell free to discuss.

Okay.
I agree with your points, but have to ask this question: Do you regret buying it?

While a storyline in the vein of Colosseum/XD or even minigames like the Stadiums, it would have been loads better. That doesn't mean it isn't great as it is. We could look at all the downfalls of Colosseum and XD and make similar complaints. (They do have storylines, I give you that.) If you bought the game hoping for perfection, of course you'll be let down.

Graphics? To paraphrase the Nintendo Power review (yes, they're a little biased), the graphics are a step up, though the use of a soft filter does little more than muddies the images. I've played, and I agree.

Customization? It's better than the DS games nothing. My only beef is that we can't import them to use as our overworlds on the DS. And, you'd pay for a haircut in real life, do you want them to change that too? (Don't answer.)

After you beat the game? Well, I agree. More stadiums or longer battles should have been used to make this game better. I suppose they thought we'd all use Wifi after we finished.

Of course, the final choice should be your own, personal decision. Me? I got it for PBR Pikachu, Electivire, Magmortar, and to kick butt on a big screen. Not for fancy storylines or wifi random battles (partly because my Wii isn't wifi compatible - yet). It's got the basics down pat, and I agree it needs more. But complaining about what you have is almost like complaining about an allowance. They gave us a lot, we should be thankful.

I don't regret buying it. Do you?
Woah. My longest post ever.

Last edited:

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
Years
Sweet lemoning to me, Heatran. It's just that gamers today need to lower their standards; because right now, we're all thinking about game that could be released a couple of DECADES from now; so for today, appreciate that PBR is another milestone for the Pokemon world.

Trainer Sonjo

Combusken fanz0rs.
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2007
Allow me to add my two cents. After watching PBR battles over Youtube, this is the knowledge I have.

-Graphics-
In my perspective, they're a step up from previous games like Colloseum, Gale of Darkness, etc. Sure, they're not fantastic, but if you want graphics, what are you doing with a Wii? And as the post above me, the graphics are a BIG step up from the 8-Bit Graphics from the DS.

As for the attack methods, can you imagine programming every single attack a Pokemon can use according to their Technique list (x493)? It's just not realistic.

-Navigation-
The game's just as exporable as Colosseum. Did you seriously expect something different? o.o

-Wifi-
Hmm. I've subscibed to another PBR player who Battles on WiFi everyday, and posts 4-6 battles a day (all under 10 minutes, I might add.) Where I'm not sure if he encountered any errors on the way, I'm pretty sure the Wifi itself is not to blame. And just as a side-note, you don't have to have anybodie's damn Friendcode to battle them in real-time.

-Customization-
Ho ho. Nothing wrong here in my point of veiw. Sure, maybe they could have made a few more custumizing options, but it sure beats battling as Lucas or Dawn all the time. If you truley put your mind to it, you could create (Mix-And-Match) a decent looking character.

Where I do agree that a little more work could have been done on this game to improve, the games just fine. I mean, it's better than not being able to battle on the systems at all. Nintendo did give us what the public usually take for granted, so I really can't complain. I'm pretty excited to obtain PBR myself , and so far, am not turning back.

Sorry that you're not satisfied.

Melody

Banned
Years
I agree with Bishopk and Trainer Sonjo. The graphics are meh. Only a single step away from Pokemon XD. The Trainer customization is something I think pokemon games have needed for a long time. So already, we have 2 points. 1 from graphic's slight improvment and the other for customization. As for navigation what did you expect The name of the game is "Pokemon Battle Revolution" It's not meant to have a storyline or be more navigateable than it must be. THis game may be far from perfect but where it does innovate it does so well. The customizable trainer is something I'm hoping to see in future Pokemon console games. But that's just me. All in all, despite it's shortcomings, it's well worth the money you spend on buying it simply because it allows you to battle in a fair environment. No hacked pokemon make it in PBR because they turn into bad eggs ^^" That's a blessing and a half since D/P wifi battles dont have any mechanism that examines the pokemon's data to ensure it's integrity. Therefore another point goes to PBR for addressing a problem all of us dedicated online battlers encounter ^^

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Years
Sweet lemoning to me, Heatran. It's just that gamers today need to lower their standards; because right now, we're all thinking about game that could be released a couple of DECADES from now; so for today, appreciate that PBR is another milestone for the Pokemon world.

Lol, what game would that be?

Allow me to add my two cents. After watching PBR battles over Youtube, this is the knowledge I have.

-Graphics-
In my perspective, they're a step up from previous games like Colloseum, Gale of Darkness, etc. Sure, they're not fantastic, but if you want graphics, what are you doing with a Wii? And as the post above me, the graphics are a BIG step up from the 8-Bit Graphics from the DS.

8-bit graphics? 8-bit graphics? The DS does not use 8-bit graphic, D/P certainly isn't in 8-bit graphics, not even R/S/E were in 8-bit. R/B/Y and G/S/C were in 8-bit. You cannot have 3-D games in 8-bit!

And just because the Wii does not have "cutting edge graphics" does not mean you have to be lazy. Look at Twilight Princess, it's on the Wii and it looks beautiful. There is no reason for Battle Revolution to look like Stadium in the 64.

As for the attack methods, can you imagine programming every single attack a Pokemon can use according to their Technique list (x493)? It's just not realistic.
Lol, you obviously have never played a single fighting game in your life. Data for different stances, moves, and combos?! It is impossible! We cannot possibly make Quick Attack look different from Tackle even if we tried! /sarcasm

Really, if the characters from Street Fighter 2 one can have attacks that look completely different from each others than I think the attacks in Battle Revolution can look different.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
Years
First off, Heatran, your metaphors suck.
Heatran said:
Graphics
First thing is, they suck.
Your standards are too high. The graphics are great. Don't b1tch because Typhlosion's flame looks like paper. Typhlosion sucks anyways.
Heatran said:
Hey! I'm clostrophobic! Where do I walk around for a fresh breathe of air?
No where, bub. It's limited. It's Pokemon without the real joy of moving around and seeing new things. Just hitting the same button, choosing what attack, what time, when and on who.
Pokemon is about battle and nothing else. If you aren't satisfied by that, then you should be playing something else.
Heatran said:
"Hey! Let's play WiFi!
I'm going to use my hard work and trained Pokemon to beat other trains around the wo-.... Error code 20100? What's that?"
Yes, first Wifi game has the weakest wireless support I have ever seen. The battles take over 20 minutes because of stupid lags. I fought my neighbor, RIGHT next door, and it took about 10 minutes for out attacks to hit eachother when we selected them at the same time, 10 minutes earlier. And if it's not lagging, it's "Error code Number ******"
It takes a long time to process how crappily some people train and battle.
Heatran said:
Trainer Customization! I can make him look like me!
Or so I thought. The trainer costumization is limited, restricted, and you actually have to BUY new hairtyles!?
Give them a break. They're just starting to get the frigging clue about people wanting customized trainers. Nintendo's collective minds are still child-level, they'll learn. Slowly, but they will.
Heatran said:
My main rant on this, is the fact that there is no storyline! It's all battling? Even stadium had MINIGAMEs but this game has nothing but battling?
There was already a topic about this disproving your point. Pokemon was never about minigames, and if that's what you want, play Mario Party.
Trainer Sonjo said:
but if you want graphics, what are you doing with a Wii?
*Trainer Sonjo Levels Up!*
Me2UJust4Free said:
Lol, you obviously have never played a single fighting game in your life. Data for different stances, moves, and combos?! It is impossible! We cannot possibly make Quick Attack look different from Tackle even if we tried! /sarcasm

Really, if the characters from Street Fighter 2 one can have attacks that look completely different from each others than I think the attacks in Battle Revolution can look different.
Somehow I doubt poor-quality sprites are a bit less in size than a full, detailed, 3D rendering.

Overall, Heatran, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have bought it. Do what I do before you buy a game - watch gameplay clips on YouTube. Doing that has prevented me from buying such failures as Mana DS and Odyssey.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
Years
It was his opinion, and he voiced it. No need to call him out, just post you're opinion, and leave it at that. No need to quote him on his opinions.

As for me, I have to agree with Heatran. The graphics sucks completley. I know the Wii isn't a graphic powerhouse, but it should be a step above previous games. I just saw the review on X-Play. I had no idea what you guys meant by Tysplosion, until I saw it myself. That was awful. Let's get off the pokemon parts, because I don't use Tysplosion. Lets talk about it as a game. The quality is just not up to next gen standards. As I said, I know the Wii ain't for graphics, but this wouldn't be acceptable on the Gamecube. There are many, many people angry at the lack of minigames/storyline, so we can't say they "disproved our point", because that is personal opinion. Ya can't disprove personal opinion. The lack of minigames/storyline seems to be a major killing point to quite a few, surprisingly.

This game will really appeal only to die hard pokefans, and even then, it'll let some down. I am an example. I am a major battler. I dislike this game. You have to be a battler to like this game. But you don't have to like this game to be a battler.

In summary, I agree with everything that Heatran said. There is no point in quoting him just to prove him wrong. It was his opinion, and he can't be wrong for it.

If ya like this game, fine by me. But please, don't qoute me, unless you're gonna RESPECTFULLY agree or disagree with me. Don't quote me to prove I'm wrong and to beat down my opinions. Just state your's & move on, like Heatran said. Not that anyone was disrespectful, but these threads can get out of hand.

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
Years
I bet this guys probably doesn't have the game and probably looked over the internet for a demo or something like that. First off for the Wi-fi part..maybe there is something wrong with your placement for the USB connecter and the other stuff. This is absolutely pointless. All of a sudden when people rant on here it makes no sense. I feel like you just wanted to actually be lazy and didn't check your Wii at least. I had problems too but you should take time and read the manual. You probably just threw your Wii anywhere in the house and plug in the wires for the Online capability. Before I overdue it Imma say this....You should of saw this coming, plus think about all the games..You expect really stupid stuff to be in a 'Pokemon' game. If you wanted minigames, and everything to be free and easy go play some stupid 20.00 Wii game. This should be locked.

sims796

Years
I bet this guys probably doesn't have the game and probably looked over the internet for a demo or something like that. First off for the Wi-fi part..maybe there is something wrong with your placement for the USB connecter and the other stuff. This is absolutely pointless. All of a sudden when people rant on here it makes no sense. I feel like you just wanted to actually be lazy and didn't check your Wii at least. I had problems too but you should take time and read the manual. You probably just threw your Wii anywhere in the house and plug in the wires for the Online capability. Before I overdue it Imma say this....You should of saw this coming, plus think about all the games..You expect really stupid stuff to be in a 'Pokemon' game. If you wanted minigames, and everything to be free and easy go play some stupid 20.00 Wii game. This should be locked.

Why should the thread be locked? We are only voicing our opinions. If you don't like it, fine. But don't get all upset. You was mostly talking about the wi-fi. And apparently, minigames/storyline is important, according to a lot of players. But I agree completley with the bolded statement. I just wish Nintendo would stop saying "We are getting Wi-fi serious! We have Pokemon!"

~Dai-kun~

Years
Storyline I understand. But listen don't blame Nintendo they are trying to cooperate with making the Wi-fi work with the Wii obviously as this is the first Wi-fi game for the Wii you must take into consideration as this is really good but they didn't forget about a storyline they probably only wanted to use Wi-fi the most so they threw in the stadium battles..Which when you think about it take an amount of strategy that you then don't care about storylines unless you've been watching someone play or use a rental pass(which I can understand as well)

Cross

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2008
I bet this guys probably doesn't have the game and probably looked over the internet for a demo or something like that.

Heatran said:
...After that, the game case with the disc inside...
Sure sounds like I got an internet demo.
I can't tell if you're trying to be a troll or smart. I dunno, but you fail at both badly.
sad.gif

Stop being a Pokemon fanboy.

~Daisuke~ said:
This should be locked.
So because my opinions offend you, you say my thread should be "locked"? If that we're to happen to every opinion expressing thread on Pokemon, just to be locked if one of the fanboys like you was offended, this whole forum would be corrupt and no freedom of opinions would be expressed.
Now don't be a Nazi in my threads. Run along and read a book.

Last edited:

~Dai-kun~

Years
fanboy? No man your ranting is unneeded. It really makes no sense if you wanna talk about what is wrong with it just ask like a regular person what they think about the game since your opinion is different you don't need to start ranting about it. Besides maybe you say you have the game but if you really did have the game you'd realize that the graphics are really good and they're is nothing wrong with them...Man you need to calm down with this stuff. And yeah I know I sorta overdid it but it would be someone else who had said this before I did so I might as well have said something. You can state your own opinion but you don't need to rant about it. Welp thats that.

sims796

Years
If your so tired of rants, don't contribute to the thread. He has the right to express his stern dislike, because I'm sure this sort of anger wouldn't be found on an opinion thread stating that they like the game. He said he disliked it, and I agree. If you don't, simply state why. Bishopk did it right. He agreed to disagree. Although to answer his question, Heatran said he regretted buying it.

In my opinion, if I got the game as a gift, well, I would probably sell it without openning it. But I might keep it if I was expected to like it. You know, like a gift from a nephew. Can't give that away. But unfortunatley for me, it wouldn't be used much. Maybe a coaster, ha ha! No, to far.

As for this, I don't believe that we should lower ou standards. We aren't asking for much, just the basics. Good graphics being one of them. If we lower our standards, then we allow them to shovel out whatever droll they want. To me, it seems like a step down. Anyone remember that god awful pokemon cereal? They thought they can make whatever crap they wanted, and slap Pokemon on the box. That idea failed, and fast, because it didn't meet our standards, on taste, I suppose.

Last edited:
Back