• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen NPC Interaction

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
In the recent trailer I noticed that instead of ignore you, NPCs (non playable characters) actually look at you and change their gaze depending on where you go (sorta), which I think is p awesome. How much do you think we'll interact with NPCs in these games? Would you like their speech to vary depending on how they feel on the day? Maybe they can actually seem interested in what you're doing? Would something like the running NPCs of Castelia City appear again?

(btw, I mean this separately from the real play thread - I mean non-moving/non-relevant NPCs, js!)

Share yo thoughts.

blue

gucci
Years
Well it's like inrl, when you walk past people occasionally they will glance your way and I think that implementing something like that makes the games a little more realistic which I love! I'd like it if you could walk past people and their conversation pops up as you walk past them if they're talking about specific pokemon or what not.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it will be a nice feature at first....but it might become a little creepy if you're always passing them and they're always looking at you.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think this would be a pretty nice feature, would make everything more realistic if the NPC actually looked at what happens around them instead of staring in one direction.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I'd love for different NPCs to be outside at different times of the day...so some houses may be empty at certain times and full at others. To give the NPCs actual schedules akin to Harvest Moon would be kind of fun, too, I think.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I like this. It makes the NPCs feel more alive.
I'd love for different NPCs to be outside at different times of the day...so some houses may be empty at certain times and full at others. To give the NPCs actual schedules akin to Harvest Moon would be kind of fun, too, I think.
I want this to happen so much! It would be the the cherry on top of the icing of the cake.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Only one problem. Some people can't be there at certain times of day, causing them to miss out on certain events.

What WOULD be awesome, however, is different Trainers in different areas depending on the time of day. Such as, in the morning, you'll find the early risers, then in the afternoon a couple go away and new ones appear. And so on.

Cyclone

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I would really like if the NPCs were more involved or interested in what you are doing. They have always been so passive and kind of boring. They are almost unrealistic sometimes; like when it's 3 AM and they are standing outside in the rain. I like Rivvon's idea about them having some sort of schedule.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021

They already did something like that with Lacunosa town, who knows maybe that was just a test run?

(Lacunosa town had everyone go inside at night and outside during the day)

Only one problem. Some people can't be there at certain times of day, causing them to miss out on certain events.
Cyclone

That didn't stop Animal Crossing. I don't see that as enough reason not to do it. Enough reason not to make the world feel more alive.

(besides you can always change the internal clock if you really want to see something)

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly, I would kill for this. Having the NPCs always be in about a 4x4 tile area wandering around and ALWAYS being there has just kind of grown tired. I feel like programming the NPCs to really be alive and act like you're there (outside of trainers turning your way when you run) would just be a giant leap in the interactivity of the games. Characters actually noticing you exist for one would just be a big leap for the series. I mean, we had characters disappearing and appearing in GSC with the siblings for the days of the week. It being a feature EVERYWHERE would make the game seem so much more life-like and more enjoyable of a universe to be exploring in.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
This very trivial or a gimmicky things for me, if by mean "interaction" it just the NPC programmed to turn their worldy sprites towards you when your character pass near them. While in the end, when you press A to them all their reply it just the same dull, boring topics about Pokemon or how awesome Pokemon is (seriously, 80% NPC conversations are this).

I always think that Pokemon lack in this NPC department as a (classic) RPG. The last improvement we saw is how they quite improved Gym Leaders role in the story. But even that was not enough. I hope for mixture from BW's relevant role and HGSS's side story in generation 6 for the Gym Leaders (and if possibly, Champion and Elite Four or even other NPCs as well). It always nice to see their personality, not just to see them get their ass kicked or wait from other media like anime or manga to get glimpse of their personality.

If this interaction is just simple programming to make NPCs turn their body when we past near them, it just dull thing that would easily forget by other features. Sugimori Ken does a really good job at designing characters, which frustate me even moreso because they lack anything mentionable despite their fancy suit and style. Pokemon should have more named NPC outside gym leaders, and trainers.

This is a Pokemon game yes, but we play or fight with them through trainers/people in game. These people are the one who make the same species of a Pokemon feels different. If these people really don't matter that much, why would not create battle stadium instead?

Back