• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Original Connection

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 12, 2015
Do you guys miss the tradtional way of trading so you could fill in the last pieces of the pokedex to obtain a Johto starter? Or hooking up multiple cords to have a double battle with your mates????
Do you miss it??
Which way of connecting is more reliable???

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I don't miss it. The cable required more money to be spent and it was unreliable because it could easily be pulled out in the middle of connection. I prefer the wireless but it is nostalgic using a link cable to battle my friends.

Years
I'll miss the memories of it because even thinking about it now brings back old times. But technology moves on and it HAS made things easier.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I like wireless more. The wired connections just made things expensive and annoying.

Years
I'm more around the lines of a retro person. I prefer going around searching for people, and asking them if they had a certain Pokemon, and then asking for them to exchange it. Downloading things via wi-fi is boring, I don't feel that emotion unless its a shiny.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
From my experience, WiFi based trading has improved the ease of trading to fill up the Pokedex and also evolve Pokemon you like!
This is because as I grew up I found that my friends that had also liked Pokemon went off it and I found myself with no one to actually use the cable with.
It's kind of sad, but I suppose that is just life.
On the plus side, WiFi trading makes it a lot easier to make new friends and increases the Pokemon that are available to you as you have millions of potential traders rather than just a few friends!

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
It's a bitter-sweet feeling with today's connection system. I despise the fact that obtaining pokemon from different regions is so much easier now, and pretty much takes out the challenge. However, it is much easier than hooking up everything and stuff like that. The old way was kinda messy.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
The first time I performed a link cable trade was yesterday. I did it by myself with my two GBA systems.
I traded Crawdaunt from my Sapphire to FireRed so it can learn Crunch at Level 51 which it doesn't learn in Sapphire. Did a trade back.
It felt strange trading with cables. Wireless is much more convenient!

Sirfetch’d

I don't really miss this at all because wireless connection is so much easier. You don't have to keep up with a cord and you aren't limited to only trading with people close by. Sure, wifi-trading has it's drawbacks but overall it was a big improvement from the standard link trading.

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
Nah, I don't miss it. I never really had many friends to connect with so the only time I did it was when my cousins came over and wanted to battle.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I used to have one of those link cables back in the day, which I bought for approximately seventeen dollars, if I remember correctly. xD It was fun to trade and battle with your friends with it, but honestly, it wasn't very convenient. Cabled connection always forced you to sit side-by-side with the person that you were having interactions with, which I found to be a bit annoying. For this reason, I prefer wireless connections over the old-fashioned cables. By connecting with your friends wirelessly, you don't need to be anywhere in close range—you could be at any part of the world that you like. And as long as you have a good internet connection at home, you should be able to battle, trade, or do whatever without any sort of issues. d:

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
It was great days battling and trading with your friends, and I can say that I miss the memories, but I don't really miss the method. First off comes the fact that none of my friends play Pokemon anymore, meaning I wouldn't really have anyone to play with, and I reckon this is a problem a lot of people would be facing, was the wireless method not implemented. Wireless trading and battling also gives much more variety, since it's not the same people you'll be facing all the time, and you have much better opportunities of getting certain Pokemon if you're looking for specifics, because, well, you have people from all over the world to trade with, whereas the link cable limits you immensely.

I've yet to see the online features of X&Y, though from my experiences with B2/W2, they could definitely improve on the trading options and features. Multiple times I've experienced running out to catch a Pokemon in an attempt to trade myself to a certain Pokemon, only for it to tell me that the Pokemon had already been traded, despite still appearing on the list. It was also kinda annoying with having to change the security options of ones internet just to be able to connect to the internet from the DS, though luckily that isn't the case with the 3DS :p But yeah, all in all, I don't really see why people would prefer the cable, and in any case, it's still a possibility :p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Me being played Ruby first never seemed to "miss" link cables, but yes, I feel that the way we connect GB games more reliable. This whole wireless thing makes it harder since I never get to fix the WiFi on my DS and wireless on my GBA. I don't know why, maybe it's my bad luck.

Back