• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Cubone/marowak legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
If you havent heard of the legend then here4 it is. originally cubone was supposed to be a baby kangaskhan and marowak was to evolve into kangaskhan but at the last minute nintendo decided not to. Now to take the code out of the game would have taken to much time so they moved it to an empty slot. aka. cinnibar island. if you talk to the tutorial man in vermillion city and go to the shore on the east of the island you can encounter the pokemon 'm' if you catch it and level it up it evolves into kangaskhan. If you dont beleive me so far then compare the skull on cubone to the head of a kangaskhan, they match perfectly. No due to the moveing of the code it created the pokemon with no numbeer. (missingno). I would like to hear your opinions on this legend

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Interesting, so Cubone's skull really matches Kangaskhan? If it is as exact as you say, then maybe this could go into my hack. One thing though, if Cubone is a baby Kangaskhan, then what's Marowak?

Years
when the cubone evolves the skull it is wearing fuse's with its original skull. Since kangaskhan is only female maybe the baby in its pouch is a boy and bone it has is like a held item. There are many ways you can go. Maybe all the cubone needs is its mothers love since kangaskhan are so rare and only few exist that could be why the mother dies soon after child birth of the cubone. this would also explain why it has its mothers skull to feel protected

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I just read that the M evolution thing is based on it's position in the game's programming. So Rhydon is also a result. It is hard to tell if this legend is true or not.

Years
On a facts website that list's 300+ pokemon facts it is stated that it is indeed true. Nintendo has stated it. though. in my opinion they need to put this in the game.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
That's an urban myth made up to scare baby Kangaskhans. Missingno evolving into Kangaskhan doesn't prove that Marowak would evolve into it. It doesn't even prove that Kangaskhan would have a prevo. Tons of the glitches evolve into crazy stuff.

I'd love to see the facts site by the way, it sounds like a right laugh.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
yeah uh

The whole mess with Cinnabar Island is the result of a one-in-a-million coincidence do with how the game stores your name in memory when you talk to the old man, and the programming of the coast tiles on the Island. Nothing to do with an "empty slot" (What the hell would that even mean for a piece of the game's map)

As for 'M, it's located at index number 00 in the internal Pokémon list, just before the list starts with Rhydon at 01 and then Kangaskahn at 02. It's just a result of it being one of the first ones in the list that 'M will be evolved into a Kangaskhan. As Jakeyboy said earlier, the evolution lines of certain glitch Pokémon can be all sorts of crazy, and a lot of Missingnos will evolve into Rhydon for similar reasons of it being at the start of the valid Pokémon data.

Years
have you never noticed that a baby kangaskhan and a cubone have alot in common. and a kangaskhan head is the exact shape as a cubone skull

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
...Nice theory. But... It has holes...

First of all, how in the hell could a ground pokemon evolve into a normal pokemon? It just doesn't make sense. And, i'm sorry, but... Cubone and baby Kangaskhan don't look alike. They eyes, and the little horns... Just, no.

If you look closely,
4458124351_1ee266212c_o.png
Cubone has a slightly darker underbelly... But the two do look remotely similar. Hmm... I'll start researching your theory. I like your ideas, btw, i just don't think it would work, sorry to say. This has been discussed on a few other forums too. Btw, its just a coincidence that 'M evolves into Kangaskhan. Because it can also evolve into clefairy if i'm not mistaken.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
If you say a Ground Pokemon can't evolve into a normal pokemon, then maybe Kangashkan was originally supposed to be Ground type? I support this for two reasons
1. It looks like a Ground/Rock type, y'know
2. Giovanni is the Ground type Gym Leader, and before you fight him as a gym leader, he uses a Kangashkan.

My point being, just because it's normal doesn't mean it was originally intended to be Normal type.

Years
thank you weavile. and what if he was saying about how a ground cant change into a normal. then how does snorunt which is an ice type evolve into a ghost type?

Arashi nightmare

Arashi nightmare
Years
I noticed some things about that theory. (*edit* I attached a thumbnail of a pic I found. Hope it works >w<)

I've noticed that the theory seems pretty believable, but there is one thing about the adult Kangaskhan that seems off. The skull does look very much like a Kangaskhan's, but the bone of its fang looks slightly too far to the front of the skull.
However, I noticed another thing. This might not be exactly significant, but Cubone has spikes on its back, as well as Kangaskhan. I haven't been able to find any pictures of the back of a baby Kangaskhan, and what little I have seen of its back, it yet has no spikes. Nevertheless, it should grow them anyway due to heredity. Moreover, Cubone only has one or two spikes on its back unlike Kangaskhan's two visible pairs of spikes, but, still, heredity would come into play here as well, if it is indeed a Kangaskhan baby. :o

Last edited:
Years
the back of the baby kangaskhans back does not have the spikes yet because it hasn't devolped them. and marowak skulls are considered very valuable a reason team rocket will kill the mother marowak and the mother is very protective of the baby cubone. much like the kangaskhan and its baby

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2011
I think it could be a possibility i mean they do look similar , the only thing that gives me doubt is that the skulls look a little bit different.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
that bloody picture said:

Disregarding that this is a Cubone sprite with a slight palette shift and the head redrawn to try and invoke a similarity between a baby Kangaskhan, when have we ever seen the lower half of a baby Kangaskhan in offical art? If we must use instances from the cartoon for comparison we can still spot a bunch of inconsistencies between the two.

The feet and hands of Cubone are designed differently then Kangskhan and her baby, the eyes are a totally different style, the coloured patch on a Baby Kangaskhan's belly extends much further towards the head than on a Cubone and what we can see of Cubone's head from the skulls' eye hole lacks any sign of the black part of a Kangaskhan's head which would be visible from that angle.

They're different designs that share a passing similarity due to the simplicity of Cubone's design sans skull, and the tiny renditions of a baby Kangaskhan we've seen.

Years
Despite what anyone says, I know an aerodactyl skull when I see one and that is an aerodactyl skull on cubone's head.

Also, when you hatch a kangaskan from an egg, it hatches with the baby version already in its pouch. Why?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Because compromises have to be made for the video game format, especially when we're talking about games that were originally programmed for the Game Boy.

Similarly is how the Pokédex entries for Vulpix state that it is born with a single tail that splits as it grows.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Despite what anyone says, I know an aerodactyl skull when I see one and that is an aerodactyl skull on cubone's head.

Also, when you hatch a kangaskan from an egg, it hatches with the baby version already in its pouch. Why?

It's because of sprite laziness and general laziness. Chansey are born with eggs already in their pouch and a Wailord can breed with a Skitty. Pokemon don't actually age (except evolutions) so the game just has them always have these things no matter what the circumstance.

Cubone may be a baby Kangaskahn but why after the introduction of baby Pokemon, breeding, and theories isn't this clarified officially? Baby Kangaskhn's identity never was explained officially so until it is, we can only speculate.

Years
Chancy and kangaskan could've been given baby pre-evolutions in 2nd gen, when breeding was introduced. Or even in 3rd gen, since 3rd was made incompatible with the first 2. But it seems they keep passing up the opportunity every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back