• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hive ~Bug Types Fan Club!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The Hive

~Bug Pokemon Fan Club~
469Yanmega.png

Welcome to the Bug pokemon fanclub, where we discuss all things buggy! If you're a lover of the strong, underrated bug type, this the place to be! Bug pokemon are usually one of the first pokemon a trainer can pick up, and they're quite powerful! That's just one of the reasons these pokemon are so great!

Rules
1. Follow all PC rules. Simple enough!
2. No spamming, trolling, just try not to be rude/offensive
3. Do your best to stay active, and discuss topics! Try to stay on topic if the group is discussing something.
4. Each person can pick 2 pokemon from the list. The first 5 to sign up can pick 3! (as this is my first club, so I need members ;))
5.Just generally try to have a good time!
(Also, if you have any ideas, feel free to VM or PM me)

Username: GolurkIsDabomb
Partners: Parasect, Skorupi, Pinsir
Reason: Bug types are awesome! They're strong, interesting and great in battle. They tend to have a variety of interesting movesets...
(And then join in the conversation or answer a topic!)

Bug types!

Members List!
GolurkIsDaBomb

AlexOzzyCake

Olli97

ZachLMedia

Starsprite

F1refly

Curious.

Sector Revenge

Plasmette

Daniel Evans

NixChill

POKEMONTRAINERZERO

kazekage1ichibi

Ciax

TwilightBlade

ShinyUmbreon189

kabutopsian

Topics (feel free to create your own!)

• Of the two split evolution groups in Generation 3, which was your favorite (etc and why? (Nincada, Shedinja, Ninjask vs Wurmple, Silcoon/Cascoon, Beautifly/Dustox) Discuss!
  • When did you start actively using bug pokemon/become a fan? If you can remember, what was your first bug-type?

Rewards List

Rewards are a points system for the club. They are obtained if you fulfill a requirement, and you are rewarded with an upgrade. (although the requirement hints are rather vague, also, one upgrade per reward) Some are easy, some hard, some can be gotten more than once and some are random. Good Luck!
Bug buzz - These members are always buzzing!
Fury Cutter - x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
Heal Order - Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive. Stayin' alive.
Ciax
Rage Powder - RAWR!
Signal Beam - Beautiful, just beautiful.
ZachLMedia
Steamroller - Crush all the things!
Struggle Bug - Fight for your life!
U-turn - Always ready to battle!
More coming soon!

What Rewards Get You

• A reward can be used to add, change, evolve or devolve a pokemon on your team. This option is available any time.
  • A reward can be used to make one pokemon on your team shiny.
Ranks
Ranks are successive, you "level up" as you get them.

• Bug Catching Man
  • Bug Catcher
  • Bug Maniac
  • Collector
  • Ace Trainer
  • Gym Trainer
  • Gym Leader
  • Elite Four Member
  • Champion

User Bars!
edaem.png

zxHkm.png

~ZachLMedia

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ahh, I adore Bug types! I was actually planning to make this club myself if someone didn't do it soon xD And first five to join get three partners? Perfect ;D

Username: AlexOzzyCake
Partners: Sewaddle, Dwebble & Spinarak please c:
Reason: Like I said before, I adore Bug type Pokémon. They're my second favourite type after Poison, which is a type that goes hand in hand with them ♥ They're not usually as strong as other types and they don't always have the most unique designs or typings, but I don't think this matters because every single Bug type Pokémon I can think of simply makes me smile. They're the classics like Butterfree/Beedrill; they're the power houses like Scizor/Volcarona; they're the random cuties that you never see like Surskit/Venonat; but they're all wonderful. ♥

Although all of the current topics are very interesting (I especially like the one about the flying/wings :3), I'm only going to answer one right now and save the rest till later. :D

What's your favorite bug type, and why?
This is an incredibly hard choice for me... Either Dwebble or Sewaddle for sure, but it's so hard to choose between them. :( They're both so cute and nyahhh ♥ I prefer Sewaddle's evolutions (I adore Swadloon and Leavanny is just wonderful, so that's easily my favourite Bug type family by far), but Dwebble is just so adorable... But Sewaddle is more playful and it's surprisingly strong in battle... I think I'm slightly biased though since I've used a Sewaddle in Black on my main team but I've never got round to using a Dwebble, so I've had more time to bond with Sewaddle :3 Although Dwebble in the anime is just nyahhh <3 But then so is Sewaddle! Gah, this is a really hard choice so can I just say both? xD Sorry xD

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: Olli97
Partners: Weedle, Spinarak and Volcarona :>
Reason: I don't feel like Bug types get enough attention, and they've basically been pretty much ignored and seen as a nuisance untill the Volcarona line was introduced. A lot of the Bug Pokémon are actually cute, and some pretty strong to, and overall they're just very underrated.

Why can't most bugs with wings/are of the flying type, fly?

Well, I'm pretty sure that it's because they're simply not strong enough to actually carry a human, which is pretty much the intention of Fly. While it would work in-battle, they just simply wouldn't be strong enough for a human to fly on them, but that theory may be contradicted by the fact that Pidgey is able to learn fly :( That was a first generation fail though, so I still stick by this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Why can't most bugs with wings/are of the flying type, fly?

Well, I'm pretty sure that it's because they're simply not strong enough to actually carry a human, which is pretty much the intention of Fly. While it would work in-battle, they just simply wouldn't be strong enough for a human to fly on them, but that theory may be contradicted by the fact that Pidgey is able to learn fly :( That was a first generation fail though, so I still stick by this.

I think this was going to be my answer too xD I don't think that a butterfly for example would have the force in its wings to be able to fly at that kind of speed/power. Even in battle I don't think it could fly fast enough for that since the way a butterfly flies isn't really flying, more floating. x] That didn't make sense but here's a video to show what I mean (this video was sped up):

So if something like a Butterfree or Mothim tried to use Fly, it'd probably always either get dodged or just end up breaking the poor thing's body/wings ;; Although I think they're still Flying type because, well, they do fly, just not at that kind of speed/power. xD

Years
User: ZachLMedia
Partners: Beedrill, Leavanny, Galvantula
Reason: Bug types are adorable and a lot of them are multi-type. Also, they're underrated IMO :<

What's your favorite bug choice and why? I would say Beedrill because of its perception in the anime. A lot of the characters are running from them and that makes the impression to me it's a strong Pokemon.

Years
Welcome All New Members! It's awesome to already have 3 by the first couple of hours! Yay, and welcome to all! Now to join in...

Favorite Bug Choice: Hmm that really varies by gen and which game I'm playing. At the moment I really like Parasect mainly because it surprised me of just how great it was on my team. I would definitely use it again! (and I like to use a team of all new pokes each time I play so...)

Why can't most bug types fly? @ AlexOzzyCake The thing is though, your reasoning as to why Butterfree and Mothim can't fly - why can Volcarona? It's wing to body ratio is smaller than butterfree's or mothim's or beautifly, and it's much heavier. Also, the position Volcarona is in, it kinda looks like it's sitting back (hard to explain) and wouldn't that make it harder to fly? It isn't even a flying type. And what about Scyther? Scyther clearly has wings, has been shown to fly in the anime and is definitely strong enough to support a person. And for that matter, what about Scizor?

This is what I mean, it doesn't really look like it could fly let alone float. It's wings don't look oriented to fly where as butterfree has been shown to fly and carry objects (pikachu I think, or bulbasaur) so why not people? (I'm no aerodynamics professor, this is just my opinion, so feel free to prove me wrong! :P)

Olli

Years
I think that's just a fail on the developers' part. I don't know if the ones who work on the anime are directly associated with the game developers, but the anime often contradicts something in the game, and sometimes it's just plain wrong. I guess the developers just went by the logic that Volcarona was big, so it should be able to learn the move fly, while most other Bug type Pokémon with wings were relatively small and weak, so they wouldn't be able to.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Username: Starsprite
Partners: Beedrill, Yanma, Scolipede
Reason: I just started on a Bug Monotype Challenge, and I've got to say I have a serious newfound respect for Bug Types. Seriously. I cannot count the number of times I've had my Beedrill (named Jeffery, for whatever reason.) jump in and save the day.

Oh, and I think you forgot to add the Forretress to the list of bug types

This is what I mean, it doesn't really look like it could fly let alone float. It's wings don't look oriented to fly where as butterfree has been shown to fly and carry objects (pikachu I think, or bulbasaur) so why not people? (I'm no aerodynamics professor, this is just my opinion, so feel free to prove me wrong! :P)

This is just a theory with absolutely no scientific basis, but wouldn't it be possible to use hot air for lift. I mean, I don't know if that would work with such a heavy body, but maybe looks are deceiving, since this picture make the wings appear larger.

Volcarona_anime.png

I don't know if this counts as replying to a topic, since it is a discussion of one of the topics.

F1refly

Stuff and things
Years
Username: F1refly
Partners: Scolipede, Venomoth and Beedrill
Reason: I don't know for certain. Perhaps it was my grandma who created my fascination with Invertrebrates. I love Bug Pokemon, just wish there were more though. My all time favourite though is Venomoth. Don't know why but it is just so damn cool.

Years
Welcome new members! Now to the discussion!

@Olli97 Good point. I do know for a fact that both the anime and games aren't connected so what you said is true. And also, I guess it makes sense that since Volcarona is a lot bigger and stronger, it should be able to fly. However, it's only 4 inches taller than scyther and only 20 lbs heavier... And also: It tears and shreds prey with its wickedly sharp scythes. It very rarely spreads its wings to fly.(FireRed pokedex entry) Even though it's rare, it still shows it can fly, and should be able to learn the move since it seems about if not more capable than Volcarona.

@Starsprite I did mean to put Forretress there, but the first post was giving me lots of problems before when editing. I deleted it by accident and forgot to fix it, but thank you for pointing that out! And yes that counts as joining in! Huh. I guess the hot air could help, but as AlexOzzyCake said,
"I don't think that a butterfly for example would have the force in its wings to be able to fly at that kind of speed/power. Even in battle I don't think it could fly fast enough for that since the way a butterfly flies isn't really flying, more floating" and I think this would apply to Volcarona using hot air. It would lift it like a hot air balloon, which everyone knows can't really move in any direction with much speed or power.

@AlexOzzyCake Another thing I noticed, is that beautifly (for instance) doesn't move like a normal butterfly. Instead of flitting, it is able to stay aloft and easily move back and forth. While it may crush it's body/wings while performing fly, I do think it would be able to perform the act at least.
(the same kinda holds true for butterfree and mothim)

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Huh. I guess the hot air could help, but as AlexOzzyCake said, "I don't think that a butterfly for example would have the force in its wings to be able to fly at that kind of speed/power. Even in battle I don't think it could fly fast enough for that since the way a butterfly flies isn't really flying, more floating" and I think this would apply to Volcarona using hot air. It would lift it like a hot air balloon, which everyone knows can't really move in any direction with much speed or power.

That's true about the hot air balloon. I hadn't taken speed and force into account, thus my lack of scientific basis. I guess the designers just tripped up, unless there's something very powerful about those wings.

Wait...wait... What if it used fire as...JET PROPULSION? I can just see it now.

Spoiler:

And that, children, is how Volcarona uses fly. I am such a looser.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Hey, I'd love to join the discussion. c:

Username: Curious. (curiousnathan, Nathan)
Partners: Scizor and Vespiquen!
Reason: Bug types are amongst my favourite type of Pokemon. I think I really grew onto bug types over the years, starting from my Gold version when Bugs smashed me continuously. I was no match for Bugsy's scyther and I think it really showed me thought, that while bugs are quite weak to many common types, they can still be quite powerful.

Now onto some topics. c:

• Why do think bug types are the weakest?
I don't necessarily believe bug types are the weakest, but they do have a lot of common type disadvantages. Even then, like most pokemon, their threats can be easily countered by the right moves. Take Aaron for example in DPPt, his Drapion had several moves to counter it's weaknesses, and the weaknesses of its team members, with one being Ice Fang.

• Why is Surskit the only Bug/Water type?
I'm not too sure really, that's like asking why is Volcarona the only Bug/Fire type. But I think it's typing is based off it's design and habitat like most pokemon; resembling a water strider -- which is an insect irl that can walk/skip across water, naturally it will have a water/bug type combination.

• Why can't most bugs with wings/are of the flying type, fly?
Well, that is a good point, but I don't think bug types with wings can necessarily fly. Yes we've seen it in the anime, but I think bugs are just too frail to fly at such high speeds, with an excpetion of a few like Yanma and Yanmega. And, I hink most buig types are pictures as ones that hover around shrubbery and within forests, rather than flying at super speeds everywhere. But as we know the games are somewhat different to the anime, so it's still a tricky topic.

• What's your favorite bug type, and why?
I've got several favourites, some include Vespiquen, Scizor, Accelgor and Forretress. First off, I don't know why Gamefreak didn't think of this concept sooner -- this being Vespiquen ("Queen Bee"). I love how this incorporates the heirarchy of how bees live irl, and I think the design and the moves it can learn (where is can direct it's underlings to attack, heal or defend itself -- Heal Order, Attack Order and Defend Order) is spot on as well.

Scizor is a simple one. It's design and speed are amazing, it way of transportation using it's super-speedy wings is extra cool and I love the variety of moves it can learn -- such as Bullet Punch, Night Slash and X-Scissor.

Accelgor, I mainly grew onto from the anime. Initially when I saw it in the game I hated it. It's design looks ugly and I didn't think it looked all that like a bug type. But after seeing its strength in the anime and the way it carried itself and a smooth style, I began to warm to it. It's counterpart however, not so much. :P

Last edited:

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Username: Sector Revenge
Partners: Scizor & Volcarona
Reason: Bug types are a bit underrated and unpopular, but that doesn't make them one of the most interesting typing there is! Because they are!

• Why do think bug types are the weakest?
In reality, bugs are poisonous and tend to be annoying. But that doesn't mean they are strong. That's mostly the same case in the Pokemon world. Some are powerful however, like Volcarona for example.

• Why is Surskit the only Bug/Water type?
I only know of those Water Strider bugs that move like crazy on swamp or something like that. If there are others, please tell me what I'm missing in life :O

• Why can't most bugs with wings/are of the flying type, fly?
Are we talking the HM move, Fly? Or fly in general? Well the HM move actually needs a human to fly to aspect of the world & it would be really strange to have a human fly on Butterfree's back to here and there. But those who have wings, do fly, just possibly not as a good pace as the birds like the Pidgey or Starly family.

• What's your favorite bug type, and why?
This is a toughie. Butterfree was by far back in the Generation days. Just because it looked so cool as a butterfly! Then there's Scyther, who just looks amazingly bad@$$ and Scizor made it even more cooler in that aspect. But Volcarona however, would probably be my all time favorite. Basically because of its typing & looks. Moth are sort of gross real life, but Volcarona is nowhere near that in my eyes. :D

Last edited:
Years
Welcome Curious. and Sector Revenge! Yay! More members! :D

Okay. I'm sold. :D
I'm actually kind of in love with this picture.

Oh yes, something I wanted to clear up...
As for the Surskit Topic, I think I worded it incredibly badly, without it really getting my point/real question across. What I meant was: Why do you think Surskit is the only bug/water type. Why haven't there been others over the next two generations when it's such a great typing? And why isn't Masquerain bug/water?

Why are bug types weakest? I really never got this. Even though irl bugs are small, some are incredbily powerful (like with enough poison to take down an elephant) being able to lift twice their weight. So why are they weakest statistically? @Curious. While bug types have some common weaknesses, they're actually pretty resistant if they're pure bug, only weak to flying, rock and fire while offensively strong against psychic, dark, grass (also somewhat common types) and that's just pure bug, while many are paired up with types that help them rather than hindering them. (although there are a ridiculous amount of bug/poison and bug/flying which aren't very helpful)

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Username: Plasmette. Why do people even ask for this its seriously like 200 pixels above this post.
Partners: Vespiqueen, Larvesta and Escavalier
Reason: I've always enjoyed Bug type Pokemon, despite how hilariously weak most of them are. Most of them have horrendous weaknesses to Stealth Rocks, which is a shame considering Bugs like Vespiqueen and Yanmega aren't all that bad. Most of them have cool designs and evolve real quick. They are fun to use in the main adventure because Stealth Rocks aren't really present.

also metapod named Penis lololoolthats still funny amirite

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
Years
Username: Daniel Evans
Partners: Larvesta
Reason: Bug-Types are an underrated type and are extremely powerful. Did you know that a Level 100 Butterfree can K.O. a Level 100 Umbreon with the right moves?
Source: Personal experience.

~Always.

Years
Welcome guys! I'll update the member list later today (lazy at the moment)
Also I was thinking...
How about a bit of a points system? Instead of points, however, I was thinking they'd be more like Emblems, but the more you had, the more things you would get (you'd accrue the rewards, not have to spend 'em)
So for instance: 1 you'd get to change, evolve/devolve or add another partner (this continues until you're satisfied, later rewards can be used to change this again if you specify) Then a trainer rank, so Bug-Catching Man, Bug Catcher, then Bug Maniac, then Collector then perhaps Gym leader then Champion? Each reward would have some specifications, but they;d be a little cryptic. Some would be easy, others hard and then some might be a little... more random. Also, as a note I was thinking we would have events some time in the future, as to what they/it would be, I'm not quite sure. But please, feel free to contact me with ideas or suggestions to improve the club, Feedback please! :D

@Curious. Good point, I guess Bug/Water would be rather irrelevant for Masquerain... but I just find it strange that they'd have a pond skater evolve into a... moth. Surskit had so much potential to be an early bug that was really unique and different from the rest, and they kinda ruined it in my opinion, Which is a shame because surskit is really cool in my opinion.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Okay. I'm sold. :D
I'm actually kind of in love with this picture.

My five minutes were worth it. Yes~ ♥

@Curious. Good point, I guess Bug/Water would be rather irrelevant for Masquerain... but I just find it strange that they'd have a pond skater evolve into a... moth. Surskit had so much potential to be an early bug that was really unique and different from the rest, and they kinda ruined it in my opinion, Which is a shame because surskit is really cool in my opinion.

I mean...I know this isn't directed at me but...

Masquerain still retains some of it's moves, at least... So what do you think Surskit could have evolved into, anyway, just out of curiosity? I was thinking about that, like what could be used as a Bug/Water type. Other than pond skaters, all I could think of were those diving spiders. I'm sure there are a lot more types of aquatic insects though.

In fact, insects live in all kinds of environments, so there is at least room for different type combinations.

What's your favorite bug type, and why?

And I might as well answer this while I'm at it.

My Bug Monotype has completely sold me on Beedrill. I know it's just me getting lucky, but that Pokemon has saved me time and again in-game. So I think Beedrill may very well be my favorite bug type.

I also like real bees, since I had to do a big report on them one year. They're very interesting, to me at least. That said, Beedrill does not represent bees very well. Yellow jackets maybe, but bees are not generally hostile. Well, except when it comes to the hive.

Olli

Years
A reward systems would be pretty neat as long as the club gets the activity to put it to use. Many clubs have had point systems and done well since it's much more simple and doesn't really require activity, though clubs adding reward systems, though a good idea, just never really gain activity enough to ever reward anything. So yeah, I like your ideas for rewards, but I think you should wait a bit with implementing it, since more members are needed, and activity needs to retain, otherwise I'm afraid you'll just spend time on implementing something that will never come to use :/

Why do you think Bug types are the weakest?

Well as opposed to what's already been mentioned, Bug types are pretty weak compared to others. Apart from a few like Heracross and Volcarona, they don't really get that strong compared to the majority of many other typings. I think that may be because bugs in real life are small and helpless for the most part, where some may be poisonous and dangerous, the majority aren't dangerous at all and is generally pretty weak, so they've chosen to make Bug Pokémon in that picture. The majority weak, a few strong. Also they're annoying and they're everywhere, so pretty accurate xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back