• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokemon Journey of Possibilities

Should I add in pokemon following the character?

• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Prof Oakley

JourneyofPossibilities Creator
Years
I just upgraded the game to the newest version of Essentials the other day, finished mapping the Dragon wild zones (which only leaves Ice and Poison), and I will add in the last few pokemon after I finish those. Starting my first semester of College in a couple days so I may or may not have time to work on the game for a bit. It won't die, so no worries there, I just want to have my college work come first (since it will get me money and I'm paying for it..). I'll aim to get the Arenas done around April or May and the Main Story/Post Story done by the end of July or Mid August.

After those I'll only have the Legendaries to do, I'll try to get one group done every couple weeks or so, since they will try to stick with the already established story or information in official games I'll need to research and make a little story line for them. So that's my plan, probably won't stick with it but that's the goal anyway. Aiming for a final Beta near the end of 2013, with any betas after that being a bug fix or additional items like contests or related projects that weren't in there before.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
This game is neat, how long did it take you to get this far? This should denfinitely be moved to the showcase....

Prof Oakley

Years
This game is neat, how long did it take you to get this far? This should denfinitely be moved to the showcase....

Thanks! :) I've been working on it since August so 5 months? That sounds about right I guess, seems shorter though. I don't know if it's showcase worthy... but then again I probably am closer to finishing than I think I am.

Prof Oakley

Years
Working on some testing today ;) I also took off the wild zone progress spoiler because IT'S FINISHED!!!! :D I have some tile stuff to fix and backgrounds to make, but all maps are done and all pokemon are implemented so there's no need to have it on there anymore.

Like I have in the first post, I'm aiming for Beta 4 to be released at the end of my first break which is about a month from now. That will have all of the arenas in it and the vs screens/last pokemon messages so if you want to experience that just don't play the arena challenges (do the game corner or collect wild pokemon instead, there's plenty to do without the arena).

Beta 4 won't have the Champion though, and won't have it until I am working on the legendary pokemon just to make sure I have enough switches and I do them all right. If you don't beat the champion until after I release that beta, you will be able to do the champion right away if you want, I just want to make sure I get the legendary pokemon stuff set up first before I give it to you guys.

Okay, I'm going to go back to testing, keep an eye on the Arena Progress bar today as I go about my testing. ;)

Prof Oakley

Years
Guys, guys, guys, girls, girls, girls! I made a video for the intro beginning part thing of this game! :D It's being uploaded to youtube as I am typing this and it's ALMOST done, so I shall post it on this post and the first post whenever it chooses to be done with <3 If you want to see the game before you play then it's a good glimpse into the first few minutes (it's actually 8 but you can zoom though it in about 3 if you know you don't have to listen to Juniper ramble on about the arena).

I'm going to work on the arena battles from now on though, so expect the finished arena and the beta to release them in about a months time, maybe 3 weeks. I have a facebook page linked in my signature that I post real time updates and just random junk I want to post. You'll probably know there before you know here how close I am to the beta. Right, video is at 86% so try again in another half an hour if it isn't already on this post and the original post

<3 Thank you and have a nice day <3

EDIT: Here it is <3
Spoiler:

Last edited:

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Guys, guys, guys, girls, girls, girls!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

More people really need to check this thread out and post in it, anyway; so after watching the video, I can see you're making pretty good progress with the current content provided as just the beginning of the game, I do have a couple of things to pick at however. The songs for instance, they seem like really odd choices, although the concept to them is a good start, I feel they need quite a bit of improvement, the song for the player home seemed quite depressing XD. Other than that I say keep up the work in that section. On to mapping, you have a good basic understanding of making the maps more fluid in terms of making the player have to take alternate routes, although you could try practice a bit more when it comes to placement of objects and grass. Mainly because, when you showed the route, it didn't seem all too appealing to see that much tall grass all clumped together, I'd suggest to break it up and add in some objects that would force the player into the wild grass a bit more, but also to provide a slight short cut out of the grass as well, just to give that variation of the route. Other than those points there's not much else I can really say, your content is quite good event wise, you've got a good understanding of mapping, and you don't bring too much of a clash to overworld styles, although I'd increase the contrast/saturation a bit to make the tiles and characters match a bit better. Good job so far.

Prof Oakley

Years
More people really need to check this thread out and post in it, anyway; so after watching the video, I can see you're making pretty good progress with the current content provided as just the beginning of the game, I do have a couple of things to pick at however. The songs for instance, they seem like really odd choices, although the concept to them is a good start, I feel they need quite a bit of improvement, the song for the player home seemed quite depressing XD. Other than that I say keep up the work in that section. On to mapping, you have a good basic understanding of making the maps more fluid in terms of making the player have to take alternate routes, although you could try practice a bit more when it comes to placement of objects and grass. Mainly because, when you showed the route, it didn't seem all too appealing to see that much tall grass all clumped together, I'd suggest to break it up and add in some objects that would force the player into the wild grass a bit more, but also to provide a slight short cut out of the grass as well, just to give that variation of the route. Other than those points there's not much else I can really say, your content is quite good event wise, you've got a good understanding of mapping, and you don't bring too much of a clash to overworld styles, although I'd increase the contrast/saturation a bit to make the tiles and characters match a bit better. Good job so far.

The intro area shown in the video is only played in the beginning with what I showed plus a few random inhabitants of the Village, no pokemon or battles and you can't go back to it again. I will probably fiddle around with the music, but I won't do much until I have music everywhere else. (Which hopefully isn't as odd of choices as the beginning areas were.)

I keep fiddling with the maps every so often though and making them better so I can make maps that are realistic and enjoyable even though there aren't many in this game. The objects and grass is always wrong with me for some reason, I either have too many or not enough. I do think I'm a lot better than I used to be, but I know it isn't perfect. The big clump of tall grass is mostly just supposed to be a filler and be large enough to make players question why they aren't encountering pokemon as that goes with the post-story.

Thanks for the feedback though, you win the award for the most helpful critic. :)

Prof Oakley

Years
Gah, I'm trying so hard to work on this game but I'm in school or busy with school related stuff most of the time and the rest of it I mostly want to relax. ._. I am working on this, so don't worry if anyone actually watches this project. The trainers are slowly being added in, I'm slowly testing through the arenas, and I'm adding in various features (again, slowly).

I just added in Gloria the spa lady, she will groom your pokemon for happiness and Millie the footprint rater, she looks at your pokemon's footprint to see if your pokemon likes you and gives a ribbon if they love you enough. Not many NPCs left to add in for features, I think. Mostly item givers or pokemon givers, a few need scripts first or a tutorial at least, and then the fillers that give out random hints for the post story or just junk to throw you off course and the ones that just like to blabber about nothing.

I said earlier that the Arena will try to be finished by the end of my Winter Break, which is the week of the 18th of this month. Still seems like a good goal, but only if I continue to work on it semi-daily. Again, keep an eye on the Arena spoiler in the updates section.

Seriously looking for feedback from people who have played the game past the introduction areas (the part in the video). If you don't want to post on here (or can't) you can message me on my facebook page, comment on my da account page, or any of the other various links in my signature. I can't find every single bug myself, though I do try to get as many before I release it. Unless one person is just messing with me and downloading it a ton of times, there are plenty of people that at least downloaded the game and I doubt nobody that downloaded it just left it there. If everything works out fine, that's still something I'd like to know.

All done ranting, I'm going to work on the trainers some more, lots to do before beta 4.0 can be released. (4.0 will come in a .zip and .rar format already unzipped from the sun icon so people don't have that issue as some have supposedly had difficulties.) Thank you if you read this whole progress update.

Prof Oakley

Years
Time for an update since the hoped next beta release date is coming close, it's not going to happen that soon. :P I stopped working on it as often as I was and now I'm kinda barely not even working on it. Here's what I have done and what I have left for the next beta though <3

Done:
~Kecleon wild encounters (might want to save your game outside of the wild zones so you don't get trapped by them, unless you have an escape rope) He's hidden and you need the Devon Scope to find him (arena rewards) and you do have to talk to him before you can battle, but he appears and it works, so yay. (There are either 5 or 10 of him and he's going to have an NPC trade as well)
Spoiler:

~Arena Trainers (all 35, all 40, 45 fighting, 45 ghost)

To Do:
~Kecleon, Togepi, and Smeargle trades/gifts
~Arena Trainers (45 poison, all 50, all 55)
~Arena Pokemon (all 35-55)
(optionals)
~Some Achievement Tokens
~Start of trainer school

So, I'm about 1/4 of the way through the rest of the Arena and almost finished the pokemon (excluding legendaries). That was the goal for the next beta so it will most likely happen before May, but not the end of this week. I'll try to work on it at least one day a week, for a few hours straight, which will get me quite far. Adding in pokemon shouldn't take too long, since I don't really worry about balance or making the battles too difficult. Should take about an hour per match set (all level 35 arenas, for example) once I get the trainers added in.

I'll do another update when it's been a few weeks or I'm done the trainers/some other big progress goal.

Prof Oakley

Years
Been awhile since I last updated ._. I'm bad, I know. Since I updated I got a new computer, so I have been playing with all the new windows 8 features and such, not so much working on this game. But I do have most of the Arena set up and all pokemon are added in. I don't know if I said this before, but the legends museum is also set up with the statues ready to be added once I make them. I have the post story all drafted out, I just need to tweak it some more so it isn't too cliche.

Arena: I only have the Ice pokemon trainers to add in, then I can start adding in pokemon for 30-end.
Wild Pokemon: All finished except the Kecleon trade if I want to add it in later.
Overall Progress for Beta 4.0: Almost there, maybe. Hopefully by May I have it out <3

Prof Oakley

Years
Uhm, been awhile again, but I started working on the game today. All finished with the trainers for the arena (minus the champion) but I apparently can't battle on this laptop, not sure if it is because of windows 8 or what, though. I'll fiddle around with the permissions and properties for rpg maker, but I migh have to just add in pokemon the long way and not be able to test the actual challenges.

I'm also getting a drawing tablet for my birthday so in about a week I'm going to start trying to draw better art for this and my idea for my next game. It won't have trainers in it so this issue shouldn't effect it, so I might switch to working on it earlier than planned and give up on this (testing wise).

I'm also finished my first semester of college, so I have literally nothing to do until September, hoping to work on this for some of the time. Well, off to figure out the issue and a possible correction, sorry for my absence to the probably 0 people who keep an eye on it.

Prof Oakley

Years
But I keep an eye on it. Me gusta this game.

<3 I have good news for you then, there's a new beta available now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost exactly a year after my first game's first beta release, the fourth beta for JoP is available for the player! I recommend starting a new game if you haven't gotten very far as the beginning zone has new maps and although nothing else changed in that area, there are now vs screens and last pokemon messages on previously released Arena challenges.

Speaking of the Arena, it is complete! Which is both good and bad. Seeing as how I can't battle on my laptop, I have no idea how I'm supposed to test the post story (which is the next step) without someone else's help. I could possibly provide a save for someone that would want to help me, or anyone that beat the arena up to the police call could help me test if they are willing to be patient with my lame internet (it likes to go out when i want to use it for more than random browsing >->)

So, download the new version, share with your friends, help me if you want to, and do whatever else fans of fan games do! Although I do have times when I don't go on here for awhile... but i'm hoping to check in often otherwise you can always message my facebook page found in my signature. I'll probably work on my side project until this is out for awhile, no sense is setting up a post story if I can't test it or if I have to release bug fixs to 4.0 in the middle of it.

Right, I'm going back to writing up the post story so it makes sense but isn't too cliche, I hope you enjoy the game I worked so hard on! I have a birthday to prepare for ;3

EpicJackman

Ace Attorney
Years
Sadly, since it's summer, you'd have a lot more time to work on it. Anyways, I'll play it later!

Prof Oakley

Years
Still looking for people to help me with testing and post story stuff. If you can't get the game to work for you, you can still help by giving feedback on how the story would be played in the game. I'll be putting it on a google doc and putting a link on the thread so people can comment on it without having to download a file.

Please though, I can't test the game without help and I don't want to do everything on the post story just to have people think it's a bad idea (which will happen anyway but I'd like other people's input anyway). I can't really work on anything but graphics and TMs for this until I get help.

Current beta goes all the way to level 55 arenas, so it's basically a full game... I just have to add in the story line... which is my problem area. I'll make a list of what I can do for this game without needing other people's help, but unless I can get a lot of additions it won't go to 4.1 or 5.0 without help. I'd also appreciate if people could add in their comments to this thread (as long as it follows site rules) so I don't have to keep the thread alive.

EDIT: Here's the link to the document with the story, warning it does contain spoilers as it is the guide for how the player will work through the story. Please don't copy, screenshot, or distrubute it (except the link to the document itself) as I will be removing it once I release the beta. I want people to be able to figure it out and I know if there's a guide for a game, I'll use it instead of my brain. ._. This is for the feedback and brainstorming part before I release it to everyone, so I AM looking for comments on it or post them here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZtnwKy4oVSREj8LnZjJsAO_wI6In-GUv8QL3MzQ5g3w/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Okay, I made up my mind, I'm playing this game, I'll give you feedback afterwards.

Prof Oakley

Years
Still waiting on feedback and offers of help .-. I can't do anything without it guys. Been a year since I started and I really don't want to quit because of a stupid laptop issue.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I was hoping to try some other games, but that's mnot gunna happen. So I'll try out yours and see what's up

So I tried it and it got really laggy right away

I liked the ridiculous music you chose, but halfway through playing I got bored with having little to actually do, but I went to the battle arena and tried the normal battle and got to the trainer and it froze - at first I thought it was loading but after 10 mins I decided to end it there

I found errors, in eevee village: the laptop in the PC is cut off by the edge of the table

also, for the doors and matts you shouldnt be able to walk on top of the doors, while you shouldnt be able to walk on the bottom of the mat when leaving

in the big city the roof to the fossil hunter misnt set properly, when you are under the roof you can see the top of your head, it should be set so priority 2, instead of 1

I was disappointed with the lack of actual gameplay and just got bored and it ended when I tried to battle and couldnt

Last edited:

Prof Oakley

Years
I was hoping to try some other games, but that's mnot gunna happen. So I'll try out yours and see what's up

So I tried it and it got really laggy right away

I liked the ridiculous music you chose, but halfway through playing I got bored with having little to actually do, but I went to the battle arena and tried the normal battle and got to the trainer and it froze - at first I thought it was loading but after 10 mins I decided to end it there

I found errors, in eevee village: the laptop in the PC is cut off by the edge of the table

also, for the doors and matts you shouldnt be able to walk on top of the doors, while you shouldnt be able to walk on the bottom of the mat when leaving

in the big city the roof to the fossil hunter misnt set properly, when you are under the roof you can see the top of your head, it should be set so priority 2, instead of 1

I was disappointed with the lack of actual gameplay and just got bored and it ended when I tried to battle and couldnt

So it isn't my laptop, its the game. Which means I have no idea how to fix it. Oh well. Maybe I'll start completely over or something some day. Thanks for actually telling me instead of letting me continue to wonder about it. My next goal was to add more actual stuff to do before the post story starts and then the post story but if you can't even play well, no point.

Guess I'll work on writing it out better this time, but for now I guess the game's on hold.

Back