• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What battle almost made you rage quit? Or holds special meaning?

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
Years
For those of us who play pokemon, i can almost guarantee that you have had a battle that was so frustrating you couldnt stand it! Or perhaps a battle that for whatever reason you remember? Well i thought it would be interesting (and possibly funny) to share these experiences. The best one I had was the original silver version, I had done almost everything in the game, and i decided to go up Mt Silver for the first time, i got to the top and of course you battle Red at the top. My team was good, but Red's was very good, with enough hyper potions, revives, and full heals, i managed to get him down to Snorlax, i had 3 pokemon left, his snorlax KO'd two of them, snorlax kept using rest, and being stubborn i didn't heal my pkmn. I had meganium left, my first thought was hit him with toxic, he will faint eventually, and began body slamming him to faint. Right as we were both in the red, Red either used full restore or snorlax used rest, and even with me using a hyper potion, snorlax used hyper beam i think, critical hit, i lose. I was about 12 and at that moment i almost threw my GBC, while yelling about how much Red sucks. LOL I was rage quitting before it was called rage quit. Anyone else have a good story?

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Mine was Tate and Liz my first play through of Saphire I think. No matter how many times I battled them, I could not beat them. I literally did throw my GB SP. Then after a long time, I went back to the game and literally grinded every Pokemon to level 60. And Oh Ko'd most her Pokemon, Lol.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Bugsy in HGSS is ridiculous, especially with Chikorita. Had to do some convuluted shenanigans by luring his Scyther to U-Turn into his Metapod and Kakuna so I could Tail Whip it enough times for Hoothoot to 2HKO it with Peck.

Seriously Gamefreak, you give Bugsy a level 17 Pokemon with 500 BST (including a 110 Attack stat and 105 Speed stat with decent defenses), Leer, a STAB 70 power move, Technician Quick Attack, and a Sitrus Berry? Whitney's Miltank was easier! ;_;

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Definitely Whitney. Her Milktank was quite difficult to take down; it was nearly impossible to damage. And every time you got its HP down, it would always recover itself with Milk Drink. I found it to be pretty frustrating. Aside from Whitney, though, I've had a pretty hard time going up against Tate and Liz. :P

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The Battle Subway and Battle Maison. Hate it so much when you get a 40-something win streak going, only to lose because it throws a team at you that counters yours, or hax.

Still have yet to get a 50 win streak. Wish the Bank would come out; I don't feel like trying again until I have all my battle ready Pokes.

A more recent one was trying to beat Gardenia during my mono-Rock challange in Platinum. That was just awful...

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
I was in the battle test and got my opponent down to just one pokemon. It was wiskash. I had my charizard and espeon. It's only attacking move was earthquake. One was rest and the other two were moves that boosted defense and sp. def. long story short, it got up to to max defense and spammed rest. I would do like 5% each hit. I switched to espeon and it 2 hit ko'd me. Eventually I just ran.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
The battle against Norman was insanely hard for me when I first played Sapphire.

As for a Battle with a strong meaning? I've always loved battling Cynthia, it's always been proof that I can acctually do what I want to when I set my mind and heart to it!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I got a 33 streak in the Battle Maison, and lost because my Talonflame's Brave Bird missed on turn 1 against a Pinsir with Bright Powder. I then got a 36 streak the next day, but lost because my +6 Azumarill Aqua Jet missed against a Bright Powder Excadrill.

I almost wanted to quit playing Battle Maison after that, haha.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Bugsy in HGSS is ridiculous, especially with Chikorita. Had to do some convuluted shenanigans by luring his Scyther to U-Turn into his Metapod and Kakuna so I could Tail Whip it enough times for Hoothoot to 2HKO it with Peck.

Seriously Gamefreak, you give Bugsy a level 17 Pokemon with 500 BST (including a 110 Attack stat and 105 Speed stat with decent defenses), Leer, a STAB 70 power move, Technician Quick Attack, and a Sitrus Berry? Whitney's Miltank was easier! ;_;

Whatchu talking about Willis?
A Croconaw with Bite dominates Bugsy.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
Mine would have to be Blue in LGFR, I could NOT beat him. Eventually, I was tired of losing, so I set out to train my Blastoise to Lv100. Sure enough, I did. Ninetales, Pidgeot, and all my others were only about low 40s, but Blastiose was 60 the first time I lost to him. I finally won with a Lv100 Blastiose, 42 Ninetales, 43 Pidgeot, 44 Alakazam, and I can't really remember the others.

Another would have to be Tate and Liz on Emerald for a Fighting Mono before I joined the community. Everyone on my team ended up around 50 or 60 before I could beat them.

Years
One that does hold special meaning to me was my battle against Fantina when I played through (my main copy of) Platinum back in 2009. Jesus tap-dancing christ on a stick, that was one of the hardest battles i've ever fudging had in a Pokémon game. Ever. I remember it because her Mismagius really had me cornered, and half my team was dead. My Monferno killed her with a critical hit Flame Wheel, that I can definitely say I needed to win. I had no Revives left, and oh my god. That was unbelievable.

Interestingly though, when I beat her in my Wedlocke back almost a year ago, I used Charge with my Luxio and spammed that to beat her, so that wasn't too bad at all.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
A frustrating battle is something I rarely experience as I never have my Pokémon underlevelled. But if you're including Battle Tower, etc. then it should be Tower Tycoon Palmer, in Pearl. At those times I had no experience with EVs, IVs and even BSTs. So I had merely taken Pokémon that I liked the most. I would be lying if I said they were a good pick or even mediocre. I usually took Torterra, Gallade and Heatran. The usual loop was like this:

Get into Battle Tower.
Beat up the Battle Tower dudes.
Get a 14 streak.
Boast as your rival's dad is impressed by you.
Commence battle.
Fail.
Cause property damage in house. (Or as you may say it, rage quit)
Settle back and set out to Battle Tower.

Then one fine day my friend suggested that I take Walrein instead of Heatran because he has advantages against Palmer's Dragonite and Rhyperior. I tried it that way, and it was safe to say Walrein's much-awaited Blizzard missed and him along with Torterra were defeated, though Dragonite was left with very low HP. Then Gallade took down Dragonite and Rhyperior through a very effective combination of Psycho Cut and Leaf Blade while suffering minor damage from a Flamethrower. Milotic was obviously a danger and I see myself succumbing to yet another defeat, while that Milotic used Hypnosis (which had about 125% accuracy in my reckoning) and spammed Hydro Pump. Three Leaf Blades took the HP down to almost red, while Gallade fell asleep again, and with red HP. Surprisingly, Milotic's Hydro Pump missed and was taken down the next turn by a recently-awoken Gallade. I remember doing somersaults all over the place, and singing ridiculous tunes while upside down.

Years
Never in the first 10 years that I'd played Pokemon had I had any struggles against any of the Gym Leaders... until I came across Roxie in White 2. The only 2 Pokemon I had at the time were a Snivy and Riolu- neither of which stood much of a chance against Roxie, even though they were ~5 levels higher than her Pokemon. I was too stubborn to go and catch another Pokemon or grind them for a few more levels in order to take her out, which led to me losing to her 5 times in a row. I honestly stopped playing for a day or two, grabbed a Druddigon from the Dream World, and continued as if nothing had ever happened.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
Tate and Liza are actually a piece of cake if you have Swampert (use Surf on turn 1 and you got yourself an easy new badge), so I assume most people who say they had trouble with them picked either Treecko or Torchic as their starter.
I remember having trouble with Chuck's Hypnosis + Focus Punch Poliwrath in SoulSilver, because it came out of nowhere and it could cause huge amounts of damage to nearly all of my Pokemon. Evice from Colloseum also deserves special mention. Even though he's not impossible to beat, he's still by far the most challenging evil team leader and he WILL punish you if you don't have a diverse enough team.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
The one character who always drives me insane is Red in HG/SS (and only HG/SS, not G/S/C) .
His Pokémon are overleveled even if you've fought every trainer in the game, and three of them know Blizzard, which, thanks to the constant hail, has its accuracy boosted to 100%.

A close second would be Cheren in Black 2 and White 2. By that point, you can't trade, the only fighting type that can be caught before his gym is Riolu, whose only fighting-type move is Counter (useless unless you receive direct damage), and both his Pokémon love the move Work Up, so if you can't defeat them in one or two moves, prepare to have your entire team OHKOed.

Years
Cynthia made me want to bust my DS more than once. She was such a difficult gym leader and the battle felt near-impossible at the time. >_>; But also Tate and Liza because they were really hard in a double battle. I wasn't used to it, especially not from having Blaziken as my starter. :(

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
Years
The Battle Dome leader in Emerald infuriates me. He's so cocky and only beats me by the skin of his teeth. I'd let my arcanine roast him if I could.

Most special battle to me is battling Blue in Crystal. Something about fighting him again after all that time and seeing how he's matured always puts a smile on my face.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
From my memory. I believe battling Blue in LG as a champion is most raging yet. After tons of smashing assault on his team, his blastoise was worse; He apparently manage to land a dreadful critical hit on my Charizard it made so mad, that I had to smash my LG and never ever play it.

Most dreadful and still at annoyance scale was; A battle with Team Galactic Admins especially Jupiter & Mars, even Double Battle with Barry. I can imagine how annoying and troublesome since both of them landing all-hit on my poor rival leaving me 1-vs-2[/b] which still pack of punches. oh and Cyrus also hard hitter with his hunchcrow, weavel and grayados still pummel me pretty good.

Years
I actually have a couple --

Trying to catch Cresselia in BW2.. see, I never bothered trying to catch the thing in D/P, so this was my first real attempt at it.. and I have to say, trying to catch a Snorlax is pretty straight foward compaired to this thing. Whatever I did to it, it would almost always heal off all the damage I did with Moonlight, use Rest when I had it T-Waved and the like.. and then there was the catch rate, which was pretty difficult in itself. I seriously have no idea how people managed to catch this thing when it was a roaming dude you had to be lucky enough to find on top of that.. I actually ran out of pokeballs a few times and had to reset. Finally caught the thing after a few tries, but it's seriously nothing I think I'd ever actually use.. so it's more like a trophy catch than anything.

The other experience was trying to take down Cynthia for the first time in D/P.. I don't know, something about 4th Gen seemed so much more difficult as far as elite four goes.. last few Gens, they've all been pretty easy to handle.. but Cynthia's team was brutal, mostly because of Garchomp and Milotic.. maybe mostly from my perspective. It usually always came down to if I could kill those two that determined if I would advance or not. I think it took me about 3 or 4 tries before I got it, and I usually never save during the elite four runs, mostly incase I get stuck and have to take a loss and pay out money.. I'm so stingy haha. So everytime I failed to defeat Cynthia, I had to run the gauntlet again.. which was fun, but time consuming.. I did eventually beat that game though, which was the first one I beat since pretty much 2nd Gen.

Back