• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Hey, maybe we should look at the manual!"

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Most of the time, every game comes with a manual, which introduces us to the game's mechanics, controls, main characters, and so on. When you purchase a new game, what do you usually do with its manual? Do you keep it in the box and leave it untouched, or do you like to take it out and flip through the pages before putting the game into your console? Have you ever thrown out or given away any of your video game manuals before? If so, then why?

As for myself, every time I get my hands on a new game, I like to look through its manual first—even if it's only for a few seconds. By skimming through it, I'm able to gain a bit of an idea about what buttons do what, which gives me a good reason to skip the most basic in-game tutorials. When I'm done, I'll put the manual back into the box and never look at it again. xD" If I did open it up again at some point, then that'd be because I wanted to see all the artwork that were in there.

Last edited:

FireOfExile

2363-5961-4897 (3DS)
Years
wow what did i just say. if the box wasnt open i cant get the manual and fml
so I DO read the manual sometimes, if I'm bored or want to read while the game is loading up.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I read the manual on the way home after picking it up unless it is a digital copy I won't download the digital manual but I like looking at all cool art inside. I loved the binding of Isaac unholy edition because it came with an art book.

Nakala Pri

I leave it in the box and go crazy and start playing the game. I only read Pokemon Manuals when I want to delete my Pokemon files, haha. xD

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
The only time I would look through a manual is to find out the game's controls. Other times I don't bother looking, and just try to find out the controls myself.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Nope, nope, nope. (Yeah, 3 Nopies is fine)
I NEVER read the manual and just know the controls by experiencing. I think it's better this way to surprise and give excitement to players like me who doesn't read the manual.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I usually read the manual if I had gotten the game while we were out somewhere and I didn't have the game system (usually a console) to play the game right then and there because it was something to do and it gives me an idea of what I'll be jumping into. For some games I'll read it because of the content that are normally in them, like who the bachelors and bachelorettes are in Rune Factory so I can get an idea of who I'm able to marry and start making a decision.

Other than that only when I want to remember/learn the controls or I'm bored will I read the manual.

TY

Never looked into them, i learned to play the game while actually playing it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
Manuals have been made obsolete thanks to the rise of the internet and websites like gamefaqs as well as tutorials available in almost every single game.

I have never used them personally.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I like to keep manuals, only if they're colorful and elaborate enough. Nowadays, I don't really like looking at manuals siiince the game tells us how to play the game already. xD Well, except for fighting games, where they'd usually show the character skills on there, so it's easy to look back to when I'm practicing~

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I used to read the manual on my way home from picking up a game but I try to avoid them now since I've had a few plot points because a manual just gave away too much information.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I think some of you are confused about what he means by manual. He says most of the time games come with them, meaning the small booklet that is included with the game. It usually tells you the controls, gives you an introduction to the story/gameplay/characters, and a few common items you can pickup. Not the $20 strategy guides that have maps of every level and tell you absolutely everything you need to know to get 100% completion.

When I buy a game I ALWAYS read the manual because before you play a game you should at least know how to play it. The story/levels/pickups are fun to be discovered while playing, but there is no sense in guessing at the controls and possibly never ever learning how to do certain things even after multiple playthroughs like what's happened to me in the past. Whether I'm playing on easy or the hardest difficulty setting, I want to know how to play so that I can use my game character to his/her full potential. It's also cool to have a brief idea of what the game is about, the same as people usually have before watching a movie.

I would never throw it out! Even if you knew you'd never look at it, why would you throw out something you paid money for? And giving it to someone else would be pointless because if they don't have the game they won't need it, and if they do have the game they'll have their own. Also if you ever want to sell the game you might get less for only having the game and case.

Strategy guides on the other hand are only worth my money if I really like the game. I'll use them to assist me during gameplay of course, but they are more of a reading material than anything. If I really like a certain game series it's cool to have a detailed book that talks about the different characters, locations, and history of the game it's for.

Years
They're for collecting purposes only for me.. I still have my old, almost 15 year-old manuals sitting around somewhere. Just so hard to let go! Would never toss any of them no matter how unappealing they look. They're miiiine!

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I generally look at the manual during the game's installation process, then replace it, disappointed at its brevity. Ideally, I'd use a manual as an out-of-game reference, but the lack of tech trees, item lists and so forth in recent manuals has left me somewhat upset about the matter. As for controls, ironically to me the one thing manuals still consistently have sections about, I prefer to refer to the in-game control options, and indeed rebind controls to my preference and hardware configuration.

Last edited:

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
It depends on the complexity of the game as a whole. Games like Fable III, I would read the manual. Mass Effect too.

But simple games like Street Fighter, super hero games, etc. I don't bother.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'll glance through the manual to see if there's anything about the story or characters, but I prefer learning the controls and important stuff like that through actual gameplay. Hell, most of the time I don't even look for character or story stuff since I'll get that by playing the game anyway. Manuals are pretty useless, but I like when games come with maps and stuff as well. I have so many video game maps.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
To be honest, the only time I look at the manual, usually just for fun, is when I'm sitting in the toilet (I get tired of the same magazines) or when I'm waiting for Sim City 4 to load. Aside from that, the manuals stay inside the box.

As with most games (not just Pokemon) I learn by messing around, and figure out what each button does.

Back