• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen First gen crashing on vba

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
I played through 2 and 3 gen on this emulator without problems, but the first gen games just keep crashing everytime i enter a pokemon center. Can anyone help me please? I dont want to change emulator because this is one is perfect for trading.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
First off, I know you're not hacking, but you probably would've received some help by now if you posted in the ROM Hacking Hub.

Anywho, could you please let me know what version of VisualBoyAdvance you're running? And I know I'm not supposed to question your ROMs (DO NOT TELL ME WHERE) but did you at least check if they're clean copies?

I just checked my VBA 1.7.2 with Pokemon Red and it worked, so if you could, provide some more information so that I may better assist you in your endeavor.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
In that case, I'd try downloading VBA again, and run the ROM through it without modifying any settings. If that doesn't work, try a slightly older release (all of which can be found on VBA's SourceForge page) and see what happens. But since the game only crashes when entering a Pokemon Center, this tells me you may have bad sourced ROMs, which can be remedied by finding a better source or by ripping them yourself, to be sure you have clean backups.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2021
You've got a bad ROM. Redownload / redump it.

That said, you really should consider using BGB or Gambatte instead of VBA, as the emulation for GB games is more accurate.

Back