• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Arg, those zips didn't work. I'll have to try with winrar later.

Battle sys's going great! I just (as in like five minutes ago) finished coding in the enemy pokemons potential moves based on level. The only one I have done is Tackle for both your Latias and for the enemy Latios. All that's left for the enemies turn is showing the picture (Enemy Latios used TACKLE), right now I have it in regular text. I also fooled around with the timing of the pokeball throw, so it's considerably faster and more realistic now. I'm taking a small break from the actual moveset coding and moving on to the more visual aspects- like the opening screen-pan when battle begins and health bars and the like.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
DM have you got msn because i could just send them across from that and it will be easier.
Its great to hear about how well the battle systems coming along.

Years
Hehe im looking forward to this.. when im done with my other game i might start on a Pokemon game if i feel like it :classic:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Same, Sponge. You're not doing your full screen, right? I remember it being sectined off by a pretty background frame. That's like what Daegon suggested earlier. What inspired you to do it that way? Higher resolution images?

And how did you do your opening screen pan thingy (If you did one at all)?

Years
Dark, if you arent good with pictures then I will do the panning for you. You need to be very very good with pictures if you are doing a major part in the battle. What do you mean we will not have the game fullscreen? Like in the little gb roms with the emulator? They had a little border, but I don't know why we would bother doing our whole game like that... Seems a bit much effort for no reason

And what's going on? You have done tackle for both pokemon? I already had our attack selection programmed in... and what was this about level-based enemyattacks? why is the enemy pokemon using tackle then..?

I will send you those pokemon later dark..
Arent you adding IF switches for pokemon and attacks..? That is a very important part.. then we can just use the whole bunch of IF switches for everything else we need, instead of having to program them again we can just copy and paste. (saves us time, effort, and cost of mistakes)

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
FunFUn

Yay! Spriting is fun! lol
I've been drawing Pok?mon pictures all day.
A few minor edits, actually. lol
I took Brock, Misty, Erika, and Sabrina from G/S and recolored them to look more R/S-like.
(I was bored, so yeah.. lol)
Anyway, as soon as I'm told what I need to draw, I'll get right on it. ^_^
Hey, and in the little job chart, what're Map Events?
Like just events on the map instead of common events?
'Cause I could do those, too.
(then again, anything to do with maps is something I do well in. lol)
Oh, and are we using 2000 or 2003?
There's a lot of things 2003 can do that 2000 just can't.
(or rather, can't do very well, and it takes more effort. lol)
Well, I've just been informed that it's 12:15, so I'm off to bed.
Peace out!

MysticSwampert

Lord of little people!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 31, 2004
All I can say is good luck, and do you need any help with stroyline?
If you want, I could do a few maps instead.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 26, 2005
zephadus, you are right in some point, but there's one major thing rm2k can better do than rm2k3, and that's the number of variables. In rm2k3 you're stuck to 5000? Something like that. With a patch, rm2k can store up to 30,000 variables. And since Pok?mon fangames uses a LOT of variables, I'm sticking with rm2k :)

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
I could probably easily hack my RM2K3 to be able to have the same amount of variables, but maybe I can't, so I won't even try. lol
I can see why you would choose RM2K over 2003.
Not only is 2000 more common, but you can be proud that you got what you wanted with not-exactly-new software. lol
So is 2000 the official maker of this game, or what, then?

[All this stuff deleted at my request, 'cause I was babbling like a jerk]

Oh yeah, and I've still got the Pok?mon RPG_RT.exe for both RM2K and RM2K3.
They include that funny "P" thing for money, and the "?", which comes as "k?".
If anybody needs it, feel free to PM me or something. lol

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Dark, if you arent good with pictures then I will do the panning for you. You need to be very very good with pictures if you are doing a major part in the battle. What do you mean we will not have the game fullscreen? Like in the little gb roms with the emulator? They had a little border, but I don't know why we would bother doing our whole game like that... Seems a bit much effort for no reason

And what's going on? You have done tackle for both pokemon? I already had our attack selection programmed in... and what was this about level-based enemyattacks? why is the enemy pokemon using tackle then..?

I will send you those pokemon later dark..
Arent you adding IF switches for pokemon and attacks..? That is a very important part.. then we can just use the whole bunch of IF switches for everything else we need, instead of having to program them again we can just copy and paste. (saves us time, effort, and cost of mistakes)

In regard to Meerkat's post: Trust me. I have everything done in the most efficient way possible (I hope :D)

It's true, I'm not the best with pictures. You better do the panning. What did do, though, is create an avi video you/we can use for reference.

Ours I think will be full screen, but Daegon a while back suggested to have the battle system only partial screen, and I think that's what Sponge is doing too. So I was just inquiring into the advantages and disadvangages.

I didn't touch anything you did, Meerkat. All I did was program some of the enemy's moves. I didn't meddle with the ally move selection at all.

Level based enemy attacks are because a level 2 pikachu will know significantly less than a level 30 pikachu. So I have IF's like:
<>Branch if Var[0037:Seen Which Pokemon] is 2 (I changed it from 1 to 2)
<>Branch if Var[0038:Seen Pokemon Level] is 50 less (I added this variable, and the level [50 in this example] can be customized to which level pokemon learn moves)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb]Set Rnd [1-3] (If Latios is below level fifty, it has learned 3 moves, which means at level 50 it learns it's fourth move. The random calculator determines which of the three it uses)
<>Branch if Var[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb] is 1
<>Message: Enemy Latios used TACKLE! (Can you rip/add the pictures for this?)

Then I show the animations and it loops back to your turn. I had to add some switches to make the loop complete. The reason I used Tackle was simply a test. Of course, Latios wouldn't know tackle at level 50 :D

What do you think?

Years
DarkMage31 said:
In regard to Meerkat's post: Trust me. I have everything done in the most efficient way possible (I hope :D)

It's true, I'm not the best with pictures. You better do the panning. What did do, though, is create an avi video you/we can use for reference.

Ours I think will be full screen, but Daegon a while back suggested to have the battle system only partial screen, and I think that's what Sponge is doing too. So I was just inquiring into the advantages and disadvangages.

I didn't touch anything you did, Meerkat. All I did was program some of the enemy's moves. I didn't meddle with the ally move selection at all.

Level based enemy attacks are because a level 2 pikachu will know significantly less than a level 30 pikachu. So I have IF's like:
<>Branch if Var[0037:Seen Which Pokemon] is 2 (I changed it from 1 to 2)
<>Branch if Var[0038:Seen Pokemon Level] is 50 less (I added this variable, and the level [50 in this example] can be customized to which level pokemon learn moves)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb]Set Rnd [1-3] (If Latios is below level fifty, it has learned 3 moves, which means at level 50 it learns it's fourth move. The random calculator determines which of the three it uses)
<>Branch if Var[0039:Enemy Which MoveProb] is 1
<>Message: Enemy Latios used TACKLE! (Can you rip/add the pictures for this?)

Then I show the animations and it loops back to your turn. I had to add some switches to make the loop complete. The reason I used Tackle was simply a test. Of course, Latios wouldn't know tackle at level 50 :D

What do you think?
thats great! I have an idea on the damage factor of the battle (because a lv 45 Latios won't be able to hav same damage as lv 20 Latios) I will just amplify damage by the level. eg.
<>Variable Oper[0037:Enemy Damage]Set 10 (we will just change this before every battle, depends on how vicious you want your pokemon to be)
<>Variable Oper:[0039:Enemy Damage]Multiply [0040:Enemy Level]

I also had a few other ideas like
<>Variable Oper[0037:Fierceness]Set 4 (this will affect how often the pokemon attacks)
<>Variable Oper[0037:Power]Set Rnd [2-7] (this will affect how much power the enemy puts into it's attack every turn.. (like a percentage out of it's max power))
<>Variable Oper[0037:Speed]Set 8 (obviously this will affect whether it attacks faster than you, maybe it could attack you twice in one turn or it is too slow and you have the opportunity to attack twice..)
<>Variable Oper[0037:Mood]Set 5 (this would be to determine what the enemy feels like doing, it might not feel like attacking.. maybe it will run away, maybe it will ask to join up with you, or maybe it will dodge an attack.. i dont know, there are lots of things this could do.. it will usually be attacking though, don't want to stray too far away from the battle. It's just so that the battles arent the same EVERY SINGLE TIME.. uuuhhhhh i hate that repetative factor in the Gameboy games..)

well anyway, tell me what you think

Happy Gilmore

Love that movie...
Years
I was wondering if you guys needed a hand with something on the game, because I'd be happy to help you out.

Last edited:

MysticSwampert

Lord of little people!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 31, 2004
Dm, here's the first part of the ingame story(well actually its the last, but its kinda the first, but its really the last but its not the last its the first one ive done but it would be the last if i did them in order) I hope it doesnt appear in any differnent games on this site, as we would all know where it came from.

Years
Hey everyone, I thought of a new name.. ok how about Pokemon Golden Sun edition? I think it sounds nice.

I don't really like that storyline.. there's clich? everywhere in it. I can handle a bit, but not that much.. what about something where you move to a new town, and get bullied and pushed around at school. Then one day some kids are pushing you around (this is where the story starts) and all of a sudden, a pokemon jumps out of the bushes and scares off the bullies.

The pokemon follows you home and you decide to keep it..Then you see a poster on your wall and realise you can finally enter the pokemon tournament at school! Once you win, you are told you can enter a city-wide tournament, but you have to have 3 badges first. You go off on your journey and the rest writes itself.

These are just my opinions, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I would really like to see some tournament-style action in the game instead of just getting badges to beat 4 people who are always the same and always have the same stats. For what? Just so you can say "I beat some crappy people". Really theres no point in that.

I think some rankings would really boost the player interest in the game. Of course this wouldn't be the main aim of the game, just an interesting optional quest

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I like the part about the tournament thing. I guess we could use some random numbers for trainers. But for a tournament sort of battle, we'll need alot of trainer sprites. Mystic Swampert, your story sounds alright, but the part about invasions and stuff, just don't seem "pokemonish." (if you get what I mean)

Years
You should change parts of the game into something else than they were in the official games.. like change the Elite Four into a tournament instead of just the 4-5 trainers etc

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 26, 2005
MysticSwampert said:
Dm, here's the first part of the ingame story(well actually its the last, but its kinda the first, but its really the last but its not the last its the first one ive done but it would be the last if i did them in order) I hope it doesnt appear in any differnent games on this site, as we would all know where it came from.

Wow you confused the heck outta me :embarrass Ah well...... I want more screenies!!! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back