• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC on mobile phones

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I've had a mobile phone with full browsing capabilities for the past two years now an often I will visit forums on it (like I am doing now). The idea is a bare bones theme that will make browsing PC on a mobile phone a lot easier. No header image, no signatures, no fixed widths, nothing (avatars at the most). The theme would be flexible enough for many types of mobile phone screens.

I'm not sure how many people browse the site on mobile phones, but with a theme like this maybe more people would. A theme like this would drastically reduce load times making it easier to browse and post on PC. This feature I think would definitely add to the appeal of PC.

Years
Well, I've used the iPhone, and it loaded PC pretty fast, although it's basically a mini-computer.
BUT this most likely happens to many cell phones, probably even console systems with internet access, and, I know this for a fact, the PSP.
I think that something such as this would be perfect for these things, to make it load faster, and not stop loading, due to some sort of overload or something.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Try PokéGeneric and PokéGeneric 2 out for basic styles, as for no signature images you just have to check the box in your User CP>Options panel to not have those and there you go! I use Pokégeneric 2 on my iPod touch and it works great!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Actually I have found Pokelink 1-4 to be the fastest loading, but having no graphics or VERY low kb grahics would be the best. Also I was thinking maybe sigs and stff could be disabled for just that one. Also keeping it bare bones would help with keeping everything within the small sceens of cell phones.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
you could always try viewing the forums in Lo-Fi version. I'm not entirely sure how to enable that, but I'm sure someone does. I'll post back if I figure out before others post.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
I occasionally view PC using the Nintendo DS Browser and I do agree on the idea. The loading times take forever.

And yes, I actually use the Nintendo DS Browser. x.x

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Back when I did have a cellphone, I remember PC took forever to load on it, and then once it did load, to see the whole page, due to the layout, you had to sidescroll like heck just to see the login area. x_x;

Years
Ok, If youve seen the forums at modmyi.com
then youve seen a form thats made for a phone.. although that one is mainly for iphone...

If you have a look at it, you can see theres BARELY any images. NOTHING. ZILCH. everything is just text and boxes. Hardly any images.. If we can have something like that on PC, that'd be great :3 (maybe even a pokecommunity.com/m or m.pokecommunity.com as the link)

Well I know my activity at the very least would improve XD

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
That is actually a pretty good idea, a very as you said "bare bones" skin with sigs/avvys/graphics disabled would be good for quick browsing/posting.

Although my phone is not internet accessible, I have the same thing when posting on the Wii which can take awhile (guaranteed in the time it takes the page to load I could have walked two floors up to my bedroom and gotten my MacBook XD).

Rukario

Banned
Years
We, the staff, have been discussing a mobile friendly theme (automatically selected even) for PC on and off over the last few months.. The real issue seems to be vB. As its designed, the main vB backend isn't really set up to work well on mobile browsers so some compromises need to be worked out..

Rest assured that we ARE working on it and hope to release one (or more) soon..

Years
I'm browsing PC for the first time on my iPod Touch, and I must say it actually looks quite agreeable when holding my iPod horizontally. Or, at least, it does in Caramel Sentret. I look forward to seeing what can be done, however, with a mobile-/iPod-specific theme.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Any updates that the users should know about on this topic? Been a little less than a month, so I thought maybe something had changed with this.
Are we any closer to seeing this become a reality? :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2023
I occasionally view PC using the Nintendo DS Browser and I do agree on the idea. The loading times take forever.

And yes, I actually use the Nintendo DS Browser. x.x

Uh i would have to agree with this statement, I used to go on PC on a DS and it runs like most other forums on a DS. By "most other forums" I mean horribly slow because the DS processor isn't equipped to handle such forums.

The minimalistic skin does help somewhat.

Regardless, a further minimalistic design without header image, signatures, fixed widths would signifiicantly increase the loading time on a browsing mobile.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
The more I use mobile Safari to browse PC at work/school the more I want a mobile-compatible style too. XD I'll work on one tonight, actually.

I also thought about creating an iPhone app specifically for PokeCommunity, but I wouldn't be able to submit it to Apple, so only people with jailbroken iPods/iPhones would be able to use it. 8/ I'll still think about it though.
Do you have the iPhone SDK or something, if not how would you develop a PC app without it?

To me, there should just be a vBulletin app and then you can buy as an add-on to your forum....and then it creates a iphone friendly version of the site.

Back