• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Tougher?

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2012
personally I think the game will be as hard as you let it if you spend enough time grinding your levels me personally I usually keep every pokemon I catch leveled equally to level 15-20 trough the first two gyms before I really start working on a full team and evenafter the 8th gym and closing on the victory road I was keeping my team of six plus a flyer and a alternate pokemon for the extra pokemon to know cut and strength as needed close to proper levels and had a team around level 58-60 and then grinded the team to level 65 for good measure before battling the elite four and beat them easily then turned on challange mode worked my way through most of the areas that were blocked off and pushed my team to level 75 before learning about black tower then through battling through it managed to train entire team to level 100 by the time I completed it so I don't know how much more we could ask for one of these pokemon games than being able to train a full team to level 100 with out having to beat the elite four 60 or 70 times to achomplish it so yeah I liked it a lot.

Valvatorez

Prinny Instructor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I actually played Black 2 on Challenge Mode, and if I'm honest I found the original Black harder...or perhaps more of a slog might be the right way to put it; I really did not care for Black. Levelling in this game didn't feel quite as tedious though, and I tend to get all my Pokemon to a certain level before I take on the next Gym, and I had no difficulties.

There was also the greater variety available in terms of what Pokemon you could use, which I think made it easier: part of what made Black difficult to endure was being limited to the fifth generation only for the entire game; my team was mostly fifth gen still, but the choice was appreciated. Although one thing I did have to do in Black 2, which I haven't had to do before, is use entry hazards (Toxic Spikes) and hold items to take out the Elite Four, and boost my Pokemon with the likes of Sword Dance before I attacked, to make sure I got rid of whatever I was going up against.

The post-game stuff is notably more challenging, though. Rental and Mix tournaments remind me of the stuff they had in Battle Revolution, only far more aggravating, and facing the Gym Leaders has renewed my childhood hatred of Misty in the games...

mysticflower

Parasol Lady Madeleine
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
I'm finding all the training off-putting as I need to do so much before I can face a gym, so I've not played in a while. I know BW2 is trying to get us to use strategy more, but it means sacrificing my favourite Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Well snap I definitely found this game to be MUCH harder than BW. ;A;
Like, legit, there was no way possible to have ENOUGH Potions of some sort in this game. I almost came to the brink of blacking out almost fifty times! Thank God for sure this time for that Lucky Egg, because without it my Pokemon for sure would have been too under leveled to battle the Elite Four. I found them to be much harder than last time, too! The trainers and the amount of them helped a lot in the training, due to their for some reason being much less Audino encounters, but even then, the training was difficult to keep up with, making the challenge that much harder. Not only that, but the level spike between normal trainers and Gym Leaders surprised the heck out of me a LOT. Like, yeah I knew beforehand thanks to all the spoilers, but dang, knowing about it and coming face-to-face with it are two entirely different things. ;A; I almost peed.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
did anybody else think the game is a little taxing???

did anybody else thing the game is a little difficult compared to the previous Pokémon games??? I kinda thing this game is a little bit taxing myself... as you see I am posting a lot in the quick question... I did B2 & W2 a little hard... not based on battle difficulty, but I seem to get lost easy and get stuck easy... anybody else get this with B2 & W2??? did anybody else think the game is a little hard???

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
Years
I found the difficulty of Black and White 2 to be perfect for a Pokemon game. I absoloutely loved that I was finding myself a little outleveled a lot of the time. Hell, even the choice of wild Pokemon got me stuck at times.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Really? I actually found it to be easier than other Pokemon games. I passed around the lucky egg throughout the game and didn't need to do additional grinding until Drayden. In terms on knowing where to go I found the game to be pretty simple except for the frigate password.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I found training the Pokemon boring, so I traded 2 lucky eggs from my Pokemon White game and attached them to my in game Pokemon team. I think what made the game more difficult was the medal rally which I only have 198 medals.

:t354:TG

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I thought navigating through the campaign was pretty straightforward, honestly. Most of the time the NPCs tell you where to go and what to do. The new caves were a bit tricky to traverse through initially, though.

Years
Based on footage I saw on YouTube, I saw the games did have that point where you wouldn't know where to go. The new locations got a bit confusing at first.

However, despite all that it's still your average straightforward main Pokemon game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't find B2/W2 that difficult at all. I have a penchant for slightly overlevelling my Pokemon, as well as refusing to continue the main storyline until my Pokemon are at least a few levels ahead of the strongest trainer in the area.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I definitely think the random battles you run into are tougher, I've found myself in way more sticky situations than I remember from Pokémon Black.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I find myself facing NPCs that are at either at my level or above/lower by just one or two levels, which is usually not the case. I feel like the early game is more difficult, but once you get the Lucky Egg and get closer to the Elite Four, your levels even out and it's not so bad from there on. But I would go as far as to call this the hardest main game that I've played.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Not too far yet, but definetly harder. I had a lot of pit stops in the pokecenter already. Several trainers seem to be as hard as previous gen gym leaders for me :/.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Am I the only one who found the game in general easier than previous versions? I never did any extra training and always found myself consistantly several levels (at least 5) higher than the NPCs. The only place I had difficulty were in the caves because of how long they were.

Eh, probably had something to do with traveling around with a dragon-monotype team and two HM slaves. /shrug

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
Years
I didn't find them as harder... I found them as more annoying

I got bored so I decided to sneak a peak at each gym leaders' highest leveled pokemon. heh.

And when I saw them I was like O___O so I went audino grinding... a lot. It was rather annoying >.> Monotonous training.

But other than that, it was a breeze. In fact, I sparingly had to use items :3 Yay. So I ended up with like 300k-400k of Pokemon money at the end of the game. \
or was it 200k. hmm i forget lol

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Do you find BW2 tougher than it's predecessor? I'm not too too far in, however I do seem to be hitting the Pokemon Center more often.

What about you? What do you think and why?

To me, in between the third and fourth gym, the Pokemon start getting harder. There is a seven level gap in-between the levels of the two gym leaders' strongest Pokemon, forcing me to train my pokemon that had just entered their twenties to their thirties. It doesn't help that the Champion's Pokemon are going to be near their sixties. I guess Johto has me unused to how the norm is for Pokemon game levels.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
... It's hard to say. I think Black 2 was easier for me but that might be because I didn't have to go through Twist Mountain and the Mountain you did have to go through in Black 2 you had Bianca with you. But I think some points might have been harder in Black 2 than in White. I think for me it varies on my team, how much I train, etc etc.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I did think it was harder when compared to BW, but it still wasn't overly tough. Challenge mode really helped make more of a challenge, but I think the games gave you enough of a chance to over level your Pokémon to counteract it. Especially the Exp pool known as Black City/White Forest.

Back