• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Jaywalking

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Where I live you have to drive for about 30 minutes just to reach a grocery store.... So yeah I hardly ever see anyone walking. Now that I think about it, there aren't really any cross walks or whatever they are called. There's like one place that has one in my town but generally people obey it since it comes off the exit of a highway that motorists love to speed off of. So it's either obey it or get hit hard.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
I don't know if it's illegal, but every once in a while I see a dim student try to jay-walk before/after school. It's really dumb too. They'll do it at streets where there's a cross-walk just a few feet away. Just be patient!

Honest

Hi!
Years
I don't know if it's illegal, but every once in a while I see a dim student try to jay-walk before/after school. It's really dumb too. They'll do it at streets where there's a cross-walk just a few feet away. Just be patient!

Patience is a hard thing to really come by.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The main roads here are pretty wide here where I live so it's much wiser to go to a crosswalk and cross the street there. However, this can really only be said for the streets that do have sidewalks with crosswalks at the end of them. For those streets you just tend to cross when you need to cross and have the chance to. Though you really don't see many people crossing the street unless it's the area around the college, movie theater, etc. Then you see a bit more people walking around.

Years
I have done a bit of jaywalking but usually if cars were often very far away. Otherwise I mainly just use the traffic lights like smart people would.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I believe I subconsciously jaywalked the other day. I was walking home from somewhere and not really paying attention and had lot of things on my mind. I guess I didn't really know whether or not if the light changed and just started walking. Then I heard a car honk and thought "Why are they honking at me? I'm walking when I'm supposed to." And then I turned and saw cars were still passing by and one was inching closer and quickly crossed the street before it got to close and I'd get ran over. I can't believe I survived subconsciously jaywalking. XD

Anyway, I don't usually jaywalk unless I'm in a hurry to go somewhere and there isn't much traffic. Otherwise I wait for a light or walk signal. I don't mind waiting a bit longer in most cases and I'd rather not get injured or killed cause I crossed the street too early.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Jaywalking? What lol, I just cross the street whenever I like and see fit.

I don't think its illegal in the UK, I mean I've never been called on it.

Years
Nobody's got the time to wait at a light or walk to the intersection. If there's enough open space, I do it.

Years
I'm from the UK and there's no such thing as jaywalking here; if someone gets hit by a car it's generally seen as the driver's fault for not paying attention.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I don't do it much at all, actually. It's not illegal here though, from what I know. But there isn't that much traffic in my little town.

I do bike against red light though :x and that actually is illegal, so whoops.

Years
I definitely think it should be enforced. When I'm driving I can't turn wherever I want or go through intersections whenever I feel like it, so why should pedestrians. The law is there for a reason, so people don't get injured or killed crossing the street.

Even if it was enforced, people will still do it. Where I'm from its enfored, but people still do it, heck I do it when I'm alone, but if I'm with friends I follow the rule on crossing.

Years
I know why jaywalking is illegal (I'm pretty sure it is here, too, just so it doesn't put the driver in a possible accident at complete fault), but I can't say as I've ever seen it enforced. Still, there are a lot of places around where I live that don't have proper crosswalks, so I don't even bother going to the corners if I need to cross the street- I just wait for no traffic and then I go. The only exception to this is if I've seen police roaming in the area. Like I said, I've never seen any of them enforce it, but better to be safe than sorry!

Aurora2698

Unofficial Semicolon Queen
Years
Jaywalking's rife in my area, and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a noted practitioner of it myself - we'll just cross the road as soon as there's an opportunity to do so here rather than wait for the green 'walk' light to come up. It takes too long.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Do it all the time at the beach since it is normally hot and I cannot be bothered to go out of my way when I can cross there also our crossroads are unsafe since a lot of p platers / learners enjoy to go a million kilometers across them taking out shopping carts so its safer to be away from them where I live.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
I jaywalk all the time. I have a habit of keeping my momentum going. If I want to go to the store across the street, I'd like to be on that side of the street before I get there, so if I'm two blocks down, that's when I work on crossing the street. I look both ways but keep on walking, until there's an opening chance, to the other side I go. I don't like to stop and wait. I'm the type of person that generally go with the flow in every situation & keep it going nonstop, no matter the cost.

Unless you're a kid walking home from school or an adult with a kid/baby walking/riding bikes(basically the only group of people you'll see using crosswalks here), everyone normally just cross the street whenever/wherever they feel like it.

My town isn't that huge, but I normally cross at about the same area every time when I need to cross, because that's just a habit I have I guess. There are times where I happened to be right on the path to use the crosswalk when I see no cars nearby, but I look both ways to see if its clear to go or if I need to run, etc. I definitely don't use the lights to tell me when I need to walk/stop. I never pay attention to that. I put more focus on the red/green lights the cars use than the street lights if anything.

The cops in my town (Norwalk, Ohio) don't really do much of anything, jaywalking isn't really a big deal here. You shouldn't have any worries doing it here because I do it all the time when there's a cop nearby, coincidentally xD

But in my opinion, if you're going to jaywalk, don't be stupid & run in front of a car if they're that close to passing by -_- Not a lot of people like to wait or have the patience. I actually had no idea this was illegal, by the way. Just thought it was frown upon or the crosswalk being highly recommended for safety issues or whatever. I guess that's why we have road guards for schoolkids.

Years
I consciously jay-walked in front of a police car when they were stopped waiting for other pedestrians to cross at the zebra crossing. I looked at them, they looked at me, I smiled, they waved. The rest of my day was just dandy.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I think it is illegal here, but no one ****ing cares. They do put signs with, "DO NOT CROSS. SOMEBODY DIED HERE!" written on them in places where no one is actually going to cross because there is a big ass fence in the middle. of. the. ****ing. road.

Back