• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mapping Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
*Note: This tutorial was based on marcus's tutorial. After I saw his mapping tutorial based on RMXP's default tilesets, I decided to do one on Pokemon.*

FOR: RPGMaker Series

Ever wanted to be a good mapper? Or perhaps get better at mapping? Well, this tutorial should help you out. :)

Let's start with the basics.

STEP 1 - Plain
In RMXP, the default mapping size is 20 x 15. Let's start with that size. Remember that a good map always include details. So, the bigger the size, the more details you should add.

Let's start with a grassy plain.

tut.png

STEP 2 - Water
You can see that the map is very bland, with only grass. Remember that water can help brighten things up, as it covers the most area on Earth. So, bits of water will do. Try not do symmetry in your mapping. Nature isn't always perfect, just take a look outside. Make the water as natural as you can. Believe me, symmetry isn't always good. ;)

tut2.png

STEP 3 - Shades of Grass
Take a look at the first map we did above. One kind of grass just seems unrealistic. Add a few different kinds of grass. Whether it's light grass patches to dirt patches, they really attract your attention and can tell what kind of terrain your map is on. Again, make things natural. If you are making paths, you don't have to make them that natural, since mankind made them. Just pay attention to what things are natural and which aren't.

tut3.png

STEP 4 - Grassy Detail
Adding detail to grass can spice your map up. This includes flowers. Try not use only one kind of detail. The various kinds will obviously make your map attractive.

Let's add a few rocks and flowers.
tut4.png

STEP 5 - Trees provide oxygen!
Think about this. If there were no trees, there wouldn't be oxygen. So, what's the use if there aren't trees?

tut5.png

STEP 6 - Mankind
Alright, now it's time to pay attention to mankind's details. Throw in a few trees mankind probably planted, houses, and even pots and boxes.

tut6.png

STEP 7 - Events, more details, events, even more details!
Lastly, a map always should have some events going on. People! There are billions of people living on Earth, so why shouldn't there be people on a map?
Also, add more detail to the map. Even add some underwater patches in the water! More details, the merrier.

tut7.png

FINALY PRODUCT
This is our final product.

tut7.png

Think about it. Just use common sense and your mapping skills will be good in no time! :P

~Jeff

Last edited:
Years
This is one awesome tutorial!

I hope this tutorial will teach Protoman big time, as most of the time, his mapping skills are well... (cant remember the word)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2005
I have a question!

Where did you get those Chipsets? Are they only for RPG Maker XP? Or can I get them for say RPG Maker 200 or 2003?

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
Jeff said that I could put this, so here I go:

Indoor Mapping

Well, I know indoor mapping has reduction of creativity and limited possibilites, but, it isn't necessarily true. This tutorial will explain a new method of making indoor maps.

The Room
This tutorial will explain how to create a nice, creative room ^^

The layout
First of all, you need a basic layout, right? Well, you do know that a house has many rooms, and that the pokemon styled houses don't look that attractive, do they?

So, first of all, we put the border around the room. Traditionally, you would use up two tiles to make the border, this is what we have done:
indoor1.gif

Boring, right? Well, let's try a new technique and add some more walls!
indoor2.gif

Now, doesn't that look attractive, unique and more better?
Experiment with layouts and let your creativity burst out!

Objects
Objects tell a lot of a person's personalities, you could express that in your room! Like, flowers for a person who likes nature, pictures to express travel.

Here's an example of a room filled with objects:
indoor3.gif

Now, you see how wonderful you can make a room?
Here is the finished product!
indoor4.gif

Compared to a boring, usual room:
indoorBoring.gif

Creativity can be expressed, even in a limited place such as an indoor map.

Use you imagination, creativity, and enjoy ;)

Hack_Slash_Scizor

Muhahahahahahahahahaha!
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2006
hey, both of those look good, and the room one looks very creative, given me some ideas...

DarkPegasus

~ Stargazer ~
Years
Hm,Peekimon I can't see how your method in now... That has always been done like that... Even is some offical pokemon houses(actually secret bases). Eighter way a great turtorial! Only one suggestion:

You should move the stairs one square to the left...

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Nice tutorials. There's not really much that you can't learn without practicing yourself anyway but it's nicely done. Should help put a stop to those maps with literally no objects on them.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
DP: Ah, but, I haven't seen a normal house with multiple walls in FR/LG or Ru/Sa [excluding the Secret Bases], if I'm wrong, then, I'm sorry.

Here is my next tutorial... How to make a simple cave!

Here, I'll tell you how to make a simple cave. For this tutorial, we will be using the size "20x15"

First things First: Nature is never neat
Okee, as you can see, nature is never neat, it is always random and never straight, so, first, make a simple zig-zagged layout of your cave.
cave1.gif

That is a basic layout of a cave. Remember, never be too neat, or else, it won't look natural.

Next, layering
Okee, that cave looks bare, right? Well, let's give it a more natural look by adding cave layers and the like!
cave2.gif

Now, doesn't that look a bit more natural? And, better?

Rocks, ladders, stairs and the like
It may be nice in the borders, but, pretty boring in the center, well, let's spice it up with physical features. Remember to never be too neat, as nature created this cave, not man. ;)

cave3.gif

Now, doesn't that look much better?

Now, we are going onto the final step, tinting the screen!
This is my favorite of all, it's basically, giving the dark effect (for a normal cave) or the spooky effect (for an ancient cave) Here is what you can do!

Here is the final results!

Normal Cave [Darkened tint Effect]
finalcave1.gif

And, my favorite, the spooky effect
finalcave2.gif

Remember, nature is never neat, and be creative, oh, enjoy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back