• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm helping a friend with a hack of Ruby, and really the only thing we've edited so far is Rusturf Tunnel. We just edited the map, and added a couple more levels to it. So, basically all that's changed is that there is 1 extra warp, and the map is slightly larger. (Edit: Oh, and we've replaced all of the Ruby tiles with Emerald tiles.)

When I enter it, this happens:
attachment.php

If I've talked to someone besides that hiker more recently, their message will play.
It looks infinitely, and there's no way to keep playing once it starts.

Why is it happening?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I'm helping a friend with a hack of Ruby, and really the only thing we've edited so far is Rusturf Tunnel. We just edited the map, and added a couple more levels to it. So, basically all that's changed is that there is 1 extra warp, and the map is slightly larger. (Edit: Oh, and we've replaced all of the Ruby tiles with Emerald tiles.)

When I enter it, this happens:
attachment.php

If I've talked to someone besides that hiker more recently, their message will play.
It looks infinitely, and there's no way to keep playing once it starts.

Why is it happening?
Looks like you have a level script in the map that's calling the message. Try removing all of the level scripts on that map.

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2014
Try changing his AI to a higher number. If you want to tell a trainer how/when to use items, you gotta ASM

Here's the way things are now. There's a particular trainer, Battle Girl Lauren, who is known to cause problems. So I moved her to my debug location using Advance Map. She has a Hitmonlee with AI Value 200. She has an Antidote, a Burn Heal, a Full Heal, and a Full Restore. I poison the Hitmonlee and, consistently, she uses a Super Repel one turn, followed by a ?????? the next turn. Each will say "Foe HITMONLEE's SUPER REPEL/?????? cured POISON!" without actually doing so.

So next, I remove all of her items and set Hitmonlee's AI Value to 0. I confirm that these changes take effect through HxD. I also change her name to confirm I'm loading the right ROM in VBA. So now, when Battle Girl Laurrrrrr battles me, she still uses a Super Repel and a ?????? when her Hitmonlee gets poisoned. Same behavior as before, even though her data changed.

Now, I've figured out all the bytes in the trainer Pokemon data section (AI, level, dex number, item, and attacks), but I've got some holes in the trainer data:

Code:
0-1   - ???
2-3   - Music and Sprite
4-15  - Name
16-23 - Items
24-27 - ???
28    - Type (07 is story battle, I think)
29-31 - ???
32    - Pokemon count
33-35 - ???
36-39 - The address of the Pokemon data
I'm wondering if any of the blanks could be causing issues. So, two questions: First, can anyone fill in my blanks? Second, is there anything else that may account for the weird item behavior? It definitely seems to be tied to particular trainers, rather than some corruption of the battle code... though I obviously am not certain.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
how can i change the pokemon icon in sapphire?? i saw a program called iconed but it cant import png files..

Try using Wichu's Icon Editor (here) or you can also use Nameless Sprite Editor

Edit: Sapphire doesn't work with Wichu's Icon Editor, but if you manage to procure a .ini file for your game, put it in the .ini folder that comes with the download and it should work

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2014
Try changing his AI to a higher number. If you want to tell a trainer how/when to use items, you gotta ASM
I might as well ask about this too... Does anyone know where the battle AI code might be? How can I find it? I can see some bytes flipping really quickly in VBA's memory viewer, which... might be the address of the code it's jumping to? Is there a guide that might help me find that code and see what's going on?

Also, at what point should I make my own thread about this?

droomph

weeb
Years
I might as well ask about this too... Does anyone know where the battle AI code might be? How can I find it? I can see some bytes flipping really quickly in VBA's memory viewer, which... might be the address of the code it's jumping to? Is there a guide that might help me find that code and see what's going on?
Have a quick eye, and catch the numbers that fly through when the battle starts.

Then breakpoint the suspected code, and then let the research begin!

There's really not a better way to do that. (Do you really want to step through that much code manually?)

btw you should pm someone experienced (like JPAN) for stuff like this

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2014
Have a quick eye, and catch the numbers that fly through when the battle starts.

Then breakpoint the suspected code, and then let the research begin!

There's really not a better way to do that. (Do you really want to step through that much code manually?)

btw you should pm someone experienced (like JPAN) for stuff like this
My goal at this point is to compare the hack's code with a clean ROM's code. I don't necessarily need to see the code itself (though that would be nice), but I just need to know where the code is so I can compare.

I think I will PM JPAN. Everyone loves a challenge, right?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
My goal at this point is to compare the hack's code with a clean ROM's code. I don't necessarily need to see the code itself (though that would be nice), but I just need to know where the code is so I can compare.

I think I will PM JPAN. Everyone loves a challenge, right?

I feel like I should mention this. One of the posts in the quick research and development threads (this post) states that the AI in A-Trainer really only sets the IVs of the Pokemon in question. Perhaps you should be pursuing a different method of doing this item stuff

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2014
Is there any way I can import (I guess that's the word, I'm not very good at this) only the wild pokemon encounter data from one rom to another? I'm playing soul silver and was using ppre to do the hacks. I messed up somewhere while making backups along the way, and my wild encounter data got left in the dust a little ways back. Don't really feel like editing all of the trainers over again.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Is there any way I can import (I guess that's the word, I'm not very good at this) only the wild pokemon encounter data from one rom to another? I'm playing soul silver and was using ppre to do the hacks. I messed up somewhere while making backups along the way, and my wild encounter data got left in the dust a little ways back. Don't really feel like editing all of the trainers over again.

Thanks in advance!! :)
I'm no expert at 4th Gen hacking, but unless someone makes a tool, there's no way you can import / export the wild Pokemon data :(

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2014
Thanks for the quick response, but is this not even possible with .narc files. I feel like that is what I'm looking for. Is there a specific .narc file for wild pokemon or trainer data?

droomph

weeb
Years
Thanks for the quick response, but is this not even possible with .narc files. I feel like that is what I'm looking for. Is there a specific .narc file for wild pokemon or trainer data?
According to a page on the ProjectPokémon wiki, the trainer data is located in \a\0\5\5 through \a\0\5\9, and maybe (just maybe) \a\1\0\2 is the wild pokemon data. Look through the page yourself, maybe you'll find other things.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
I'm having trouble adding events to Fire Red...I'm very new to this and I'm just practicing making simple talking events, and I've gotten two to work fine. But now all the events I try to add wont work. Like when I walk up to the person and press A to talk to them, they just don't talk. I'm using the Script Generator on my scripting tool, and it made the other two speaking events work just fine. But other than those two, none that I try to add will work. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong :/

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm having trouble adding events to Fire Red...I'm very new to this and I'm just practicing making simple talking events, and I've gotten two to work fine. But now all the events I try to add wont work. Like when I walk up to the person and press A to talk to them, they just don't talk. I'm using the Script Generator on my scripting tool, and it made the other two speaking events work just fine. But other than those two, none that I try to add will work. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong :/

What script editor are you using? Could you post an example of a script that isn't working properly? The more information you provide, the more likely somebody will be able to help you out :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
I'm using PKSV, and here's one of the scripts:

Spoiler:

droomph

weeb
Years
I'm using PKSV, and here's one of the scripts:

Spoiler:
The only problem I see is the #raw 0xFF. Remove that and you should be fine.

Also, you should use MSG_FACEPLAYER instead of MSG_LOCK.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Okay, so I have searched to no avail...unless I don't know how to use the search function. I've also got no idea if this is the proper place for these questions. I will move it if necessary.
So first, hi!

Some friends and I are starting up a new Pokemon rom hack. This is, I should say, the first we've ever done. None of us know anything yet about using Pokescript, which is why I'm here, for the above tutorials.

Here's my issue: We were hoping to use Generation 4, particularly Heart Gold and Soul silver, for a couple reasons. One, we definitely want to have the Physical/Special attack split that the fourth gen introduced. Two, IF we use HG/SS, we'd have access to a second 'world' to toy with, though that one isn't particularly important.

Now, I've perused the tutorials, looked at some of the most popular/comprehensive, but it seems everything addresses the third generation of games. My question is this; is there a Pokescript tutorial for the fourth generation? And if not, is there a way to bring that Physical/Special split into the third? We aren't too concerned with visuals, so I'd be fine with either.

On the note of using a 3rd gen game, actually, would we be able to expand the pre-programmed Pokedex to include all current gen Pokemon, from gen 4 and 5?

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions. I look forward to a response!

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Okay, so I have searched to no avail...unless I don't know how to use the search function. I've also got no idea if this is the proper place for these questions. I will move it if necessary.
So first, hi!

Some friends and I are starting up a new Pokemon rom hack. This is, I should say, the first we've ever done. None of us know anything yet about using Pokescript, which is why I'm here, for the above tutorials.

Here's my issue: We were hoping to use Generation 4, particularly Heart Gold and Soul silver, for a couple reasons. One, we definitely want to have the Physical/Special attack split that the fourth gen introduced. Two, IF we use HG/SS, we'd have access to a second 'world' to toy with, though that one isn't particularly important.

Now, I've perused the tutorials, looked at some of the most popular/comprehensive, but it seems everything addresses the third generation of games. My question is this; is there a Pokescript tutorial for the fourth generation? And if not, is there a way to bring that Physical/Special split into the third? We aren't too concerned with visuals, so I'd be fine with either.

On the note of using a 3rd gen game, actually, would we be able to expand the pre-programmed Pokedex to include all current gen Pokemon, from gen 4 and 5?

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions. I look forward to a response!
Well good and bad news for you. For one when you mean a second 'world' I'm guessing you mean a second reason which you can easily do with a 3rd Generation game.

Anyways, the bad news is HG/SS is extremely hard to hack and there are no such tutorials.

Good news is that there is a Physical/Special Split that has just very recently been finished. Here is a Split for Ruby and as for a Split for FireRed and Emerald it is here.

Also for the 4th and 5th Generation Pokemon, you can refer to this thread. And for Ruby you will find it in this thread. As of now these projects are still in work so you'll have to wait but they are coming along.

Finally never worry about too many questions. Others or myself are always happy to help. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Absolutely fantastic answers, thank you so much for the help. Our hack is still quite a ways off, it's still in the planning stages, so I'm willing to wait.

I guess I'll give up on Gen 4, then, and focus on Ruby/Sapphire. I was indeed referring to a second region, such as Kanto is to Heart Gold. I was originally told by a friend that you cannot "add" to rom hacks, simply "modify", so I wasn't sure that was possible. Glad to know it is!

Well, thank you so much for all your help! Now I've got a point to start learning! Watch for our hack in the Progression's area, once we get something actually concrete! Thanks again, Speedster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back